Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM

138 posts, read 233,110 times

Advertisements

I'd just like to add that it is relatively easy to keep a pool up when it's new. Speaking from experience as it ages, however, keeping it balanced becomes more and more of a chore, esp. if it has a marcite finish that starts wearing. Then you get into some big bucks to refinish. Of course there's also the pool decking to maintain. Before I put in my pool, I asked all my friends who had pools if it was hard to keep them up. They all told me it was noooo problem whatsoever. What they forgot to mention was that they ALL had pool guys. Become incapacitated (broken arm/leg) or go away on vacation for a couple weeks in the middle of the summer and you'll spend major man-hours getting back on track. My neighbor's dog dropped a tennis ball into their pool skimmer last summer while they were on vacation (they had a dog-sitter at the house). Anyway, the pump burnt up and the pool had to be completely drained, refilled and rebalanced. Somehow roots from trees far, far away find their way into the pipes furthest underground. This is not an aberration...this type stuff happens as years go by. It's not the money as much as it becomes laborious. Then you just have to ask how much money your time is worth.

Not trying to discourage you...just make sure you put aside emergency repair funds for more than just chemicals and electricity. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM

145 posts, read 564,669 times
smitten

You are not discouraging me, I do need posters like you so I know every aspect of operating a pool. One of my family member has one and he has lots of problem. I am not in touch with him that much so I would rather ask here.

Thanks again to all the posters

Patrick

Old 09-20-2011, 04:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
Talking Cheaper to Maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Homes View Post
Salt water pool is the only way to go...or so I hear.
My in-laws have a salt water pool...and it is the only way to go...as per my wife...much softer on your skin and hair...they converted from a chlorine pool to salt water a few years ago...the filters and set up is a little more expensive...but it requires less maintance once set up...

Old 09-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Thank-you Rusty note taken.

Patrick

Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The pool pump is the second highest draw of electricity in my house after ther A/C. It's hard to know how much the pool pump alone costs me. We were running the pool pump much more last year and realized how much of a draw the pool pump was and now run it much less and have seen a drop in our electric bill from last year. So it really depends how much you run the pool pump. I suspect it costs me between $60-$80 a month to run the pool pump, this is a guess. Chemicals cost us around $30-40 a month. Its so easy to take care of a pool once you know a few things. A pool guy is a waste of money imo if you have a little bit of time and some knowledge. I watch my neighbor waste money on a pool guy every week.
On average pool pumps cost about $240 a year with an original pump.
Changing out to a smaller but more efficient pump would take that down to $140.
Reducing the running time takes it down to $100.
Combining both a replacement and a reduction in run time could bring it down to $60 on average.

So anywhere from $20-$5 a month on average to run a pool pump according to the Department of Energy. If you are paying $60-$80 a month to run a pool pump it would have to be the most inefficient behemoth around.

My pool guy costs $80 a month, the only service I have at my house just for convenience. Less than $18.50 a week is worth it to me.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 AM

219 posts, read 676,997 times
Default pools

go to myclfree.com this is the system i use ,as i said in an earlier post i simply add 1 lb. of chlorine free oxidizer once a week at a cost of 4.50 if the ph is to low or alklinity i add baking soda available at sam's club for around 6.00 for a 13 lb bag other than vacuming and cleaning the filter that's it, the copper plates in the unit are around 85.00 dollars and will last between 2-4 years and take 5 minutes to change

Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Stick with a Chlorine or SWG system. BTW - A Salt pool is a chlorine pool. The salt turns into chlorine. Salt pools are easier to maintain and do not require you to handle chlorine on a weekly basis.

Here is some reading information for you:
Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth! • Chemistry 201 • Trouble Free Pool

Old 09-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the new posts. I read it all.

Patrick

Old 09-21-2011, 06:53 PM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Tons of BAD information here......two posts were right on though.

FPL's website says a 1 HP pool pump will cost you $30 a month to run it 6 hours a day (16.6 cents an hour). Multi-speed pumps will last longer and run more efficiently however they will cost you 2 1/2 to 3 times what a standard pool motor costs. They are code for new pools now and they are trying to make it code for replacement motors but that isn't happening so far.

Salt Generators convert low levels of salt into sodium chloride (chlorine). A typical production is 2 pints a day of chlorine so your pool survives on a low dose of daily chlorine. Salt systems are great until they break or the power goes out (no power, no chlorine production = green pool quick after a hurricane). The cells last about 5 years and are $400-600 to replace. A new salt system is $1200-1600 installed depending on size/brand etc.

The key to pool maintenance is your "routine." Just like cutting the grass, if you do it regularly it is no big deal but if you slack off for a month you have a mess on your hands. Spend 15 minutes a week on your pool and you will not have any major issues. Pool stores are RETAIL OUTLETS so they can easily sell you a $15 box of Akalinity Plus (100% baking soda) or you can buy 5 lbs at the grocery store for $5. Big Box stores can save you a few bucks (Walmart/Home Depot/Costco etc).

As far as cost, you will spend $30 on electricity, $20-25 a month on chemicals (providing you don't have troubles like algae). Winter time the chemicals and circulation times can easily be reduced (assuming you don't heat it). You might spend $100 getting started with everything you need. Paper filters should be changed annually, pumps last 5-8 years on average (then just change the motor, not the whole pump).

Keep in mind, weekly pool service can be $50-100 a month depending on size of pool, screened/open and the surrounding landscaping so if all else fails get a pool guy.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 AM

371 posts, read 940,700 times
you can't just drain the pool if you never use it is that right? it will cause more problems so just leave it filled? so like if you never use it or rarely uses it, how much can you cut down on running the water pump and chlorine etc?

if you go away for 1 month, 2 months, you still need someone to look after the pool? or it will become unmanageable and will cost big money to get it back?

due to lack of exercise my beer belly is getting big...maybe a pool will help !!!

so min 5 bucks to 20 a month..that's totally affordable then! but weekly maintenance is a must and it might become a hassle later? maybe not if you are using the pool a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida