U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 32,717 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the U.S. from Scotland and am finding it really hard to find out what salary I will earn as an RN working in a surgical or medical ward. Can anyone help me please? Also can anyone suggest a nice relatively, crime free area where my family and I can settle. My husband and I are in our thirties, have a 13 year old son and are looking to spend $275k on a home somewhere in the southwest of Florida. Sarasota looks nice, any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,957,399 times
rn pay varies depending on experience and location. most rn's make b/w 40-50 thousand in fla. some make more if you pick up an extra shift. and yes, sarasota is nice imo.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM

250 posts, read 1,430,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrsuzanne View Post
I am relocating to the U.S. from Scotland and am finding it really hard to find out what salary I will earn as an RN working in a surgical or medical ward. Can anyone help me please? Also can anyone suggest a nice relatively, crime free area where my family and I can settle. My husband and I are in our thirties, have a 13 year old son and are looking to spend $275k on a home somewhere in the southwest of Florida. Sarasota looks nice, any suggestions?
As previous poster said you can earn between $40.000 to $50.000. BUT it depends on:

-where you work
-how many YEARS experience you have (the more years experience you have the more an hour you get paid)
-what shift you work (you get extra for 3-11 & night shift and w/e's) This can be as much as $3-5 an hour extra.

Also how much extra shifts you do...you automatically get paid time and a half if you go over 40 hours a week.

Where are you going to work? Have you got your sponsor for the Green Card? As this will determine where you live. But I see you want Southwest florida so I guess you already have your job lined up??

We live in Vero beach which is on the east coast and work in Vero and we love it although we live nearer Sebastian which is abotu 13 miles from Vero Beach. It is a relatively low crime area and we are very happy here. I know it isnt your choice of area though!!!

If you want to know anymore about nursing compared to the UK let me know as we lived in North Wales until almost 2 years ago when we came here...

Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,348,850 times
My Neighbor was a critical care nurse and she made 6 figures a year. ( Boca )

Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 AM

960 posts, read 1,561,094 times
From what I understand there is a bit of a nursing shortage in the Sarasota area. A lot of nurses left the area over the past 5-6 years because they were not able to afford the cost of living, in particular, housing. As for salary, there has always been lower wages here in Sarasota that affect every profession across the board.

Last year, the main hospital in Sarasota mentioned something about providing "affordable housing" (condos and homes?) near the hospital. As of today, I haven't heard of them providing any such scheme. In your price range 275K, there are houses for sale, but you will have to most likely commute from another town to Sarasota.

Besides hospitals, which are the "pinnacle" of the medical environment here, there are plenty of private surgical practices.

Best of luck to you on your move.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 AM

Some hospitals offer sign on bonus - and this means you usually have to commit to them for a certain length of time say 18 months to 2 years. Some also offer relocation bonus too.

When I interviewed all hospitals offered me bonus' of one kind of another....

The hospital I work at offered me a bonus and I had to sign saying that if I left before 18 months would have to pay back some or all depending on when I left. I have been there 16 months and happy where I am...

Just another thing to point out about bonus'. If they state an amount dont forget the tax element off it - I forgot about that and had a shock when I got it...lol

Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 PM

71 posts, read 272,470 times
Where do you all work ? I 've been an Rn for 30 yrs and have worked in California, New York and the East and West coast of FLorida and I am experienced in all areas except Emergency and operating rooms and have yet to make that type of salary. Most of my colleagues are moving in search of better salary. I just happen to like the weather here so I am staying. Florida cost of living has been skyrocketting just like some of the states

Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen1 View Post
Where do you all work ? I 've been an Rn for 30 yrs and have worked in California, New York and the East and West coast of FLorida and I am experienced in all areas except Emergency and operating rooms and have yet to make that type of salary. Most of my colleagues are moving in search of better salary. I just happen to like the weather here so I am staying. Florida cost of living has been skyrocketting just like some of the states
I work on the east coast of Florida and have been a nurse for almost 17 years (not over here but 15 years in the UK) and my pay goes according to my experience. I work 36 hours, dont pay income tax - just all the other taxes!!! i also work nights which helps with the pay a little.....

Old 08-22-2007, 04:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 23,421,654 times
My friend wife is an RN and she is making in the $70's, but she can make over $100K by working at critical care and longer shifts....

She opted for the most convenient schedule and to keep a normal family atmosphere...

Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,957,399 times
maureen1, what kind of salary dont you make that you are referring to? nurses in fla make b/w 40k and 50k usually. i dont know any that make 100k, but 40-50k is the normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida