Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM

130 posts, read 597,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by where oh where View Post
Yes, she has been there several times as her longtime friends live there. So likes the weather. I did tell her that as what I understood from reading posts on this Florida board, it is a whole different ballgame in living there.
She likes to be around people so not sure how this would work. Of course, she does have the option to drive as you say to Tampa/Orlando etc. With her being age 65, all she would get for employment would be places like grocery stores, Walmarts etc. I hope it does work for her.
Thanks for the info.
Not that working for "Big Dubyah" would be such a bad thing, but I'm sure she could find all sorts of interesting, low pressure, flexible hours work.. How about a night auditor for a hotel for instance?

Age does not necessarily mean being relegated to "out to pasture" type positions. The world is full of opportunity. If your friend has any customer service, or computer skills, she may be able to work from home, for large companies, in a comfortable setting, for these guys:

Home Based Business - Have your own home based business and work from home - Arise - At Home (http://www.arise.com/Content/default_promo.asp - broken link)

MANY, many ways to skin the financial cat.

Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
In the long run cutting Government employees will be a positive thing, as it means that less of the money of Floridians is being taken from their pockets by force.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,055 times
that article refers to SW Florida. Has that area every been a big job producing machine, except for realtors? I'm not sure why someone would move there in the first place and then complain that there's no jobs. You need to move to someplace like Miami, ShepsMom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
"Weaknesses in housing market and manufacturing weigh on region's economy" by staff

read article here
Local job picture is gloomy

Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
that article refers to SW Florida. Has that area every been a big job producing machine, except for realtors? I'm not sure why someone would move there in the first place and then complain that there's no jobs. You need to move to someplace like Miami, ShepsMom.
This thread is about the economy in Sarasota/Charlotte and Manatee counties.

ShepsMom started this thread with the quote from the Sarasota Herald Tribune:
Headline title: "LOCAL JOB PICTURE IS GLOOMY"
Subheading: "Weakeness in housing market and manufacturing weigh on region's economy"

I don't see anywhere in this thread where anyone was complaining. I believe I have just read facts regarding the changing economic atmosphere in our area. I think it this thread is sharing valuable information gathered from our local papers. We want to know what is going on, since we live here. Why is that so wrong?

Again, please inform me, where is this complaining?

PS Thanks Evey for posting that link - (The 25-35 Sarasota county employees being "laid off", to make a total of 150 (full time position) employees "laid off" in the last couple of months.)

Last edited by Carbondated; 08-20-2007 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times
Did anyone notice how the headline two days ago stated the increase in Charlotte County schools? Reason: cheap housing. That concerns me b/c it can bring some unneeded issues to the area. Nothing about jobs or the economy. Just cheap housing. I wonder where all these people who live here work & what they do. When we drive down 41 in Port Charlotte, I look at the rows of random businesses that look more vacant than used & just get concerned; especially for those who own here & have children growing up in the area. Just what do they do? ):

Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I'm not complaining, i'm just stating the fact. I have a job, fortunately or may be unfortunately, i'm in a mortgage industry
I've been here 15 years, and i must say that there is MORE jobs now then it was 15 years ago, of course there will be. City of Sarasota is growing and will continue to grow, however, job market isn't keeping up with the growth. There is no industry here except Service and Tourism. There are no big factories to give jobs to newcomers. I'm very disappointed how BIG Sarasota is getting. City just can't keep up with the population. I can't stand all the constructions, (ohh that's a job security at its best!!!) , i can't stand them building and remodeling downtown, killing trees and eliminating wildlife. Sarasota isn't what it used to be. I want out, i have to wait for my son to finish school. 2 more years, and we might be heading outwest, mountains are calling my name

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,055 times
ok, thanks, my mistake. That is an unfortunate situation. Before making an extreme change like moving to the west, have you thought about other options like Orlando? Or you could move to Atlanta and be near mountains and still in driving distance of Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I'm not complaining, i'm just stating the fact. I have a job, fortunately or may be unfortunately, i'm in a mortgage industry
I've been here 15 years, and i must say that there is MORE jobs now then it was 15 years ago, of course there will be. City of Sarasota is growing and will continue to grow, however, job market isn't keeping up with the growth. There is no industry here except Service and Tourism. There are no big factories to give jobs to newcomers. I'm very disappointed how BIG Sarasota is getting. City just can't keep up with the population. I can't stand all the constructions, (ohh that's a job security at its best!!!) , i can't stand them building and remodeling downtown, killing trees and eliminating wildlife. Sarasota isn't what it used to be. I want out, i have to wait for my son to finish school. 2 more years, and we might be heading outwest, mountains are calling my name

Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 AM

This makes me wonder.... who are these people and what are they thinking? Who or what has taken their common sense? How can they be so out of touch with reality?

Plans were unveiled for a new shopping mall in Venice!
Even with a Publix, within walking distance (1 mile) they are going to build another one!!!

Wow, did it even cross their mind to build something on that cow pasture that would actually produce much needed jobs that paid over minimum wage?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:52 AM

32 posts, read 145,176 times
[quote=soundbreeze;1320036]Not that working for "Big Dubyah" would be such a bad thing, but I'm sure she could find all sorts of interesting, low pressure, flexible hours work.. How about a night auditor for a hotel for instance?

Age does not necessarily mean being relegated to "out to pasture" type positions. The world is full of opportunity. If your friend has any customer service, or computer skills, she may be able to work from home, for large companies, in a comfortable setting, for these guys:

Home Based Business - Have your own home based business and work from home - Arise - At Home (http://www.arise.com/Content/default_promo.asp - broken link)

MANY, many ways to skin the financial cat.

Peace! [/QUOTE}

She has been in the office job for over 30 years and will not do anything that has to do with typing, computers etc. It is not her or I that think she is 'out to pasture', (far from it) it is society that thinks her age is a hinderance. That has been HER experience. I think she is great at what she does, but she doesn't want to continue a field she has had enough of. That is why she retired from it. She had enough of the big company politics and would welcome a good, small town stock job and get to know people in the area! To her it is about staying active and earning a little something. My concern for her reading these posts, was the cost of living, taxes etc. PEACE!

Last edited by where oh where; 08-21-2007 at 07:02 AM..

Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
This makes me wonder.... who are these people and what are they thinking? Who or what has taken their common sense? How can they be so out of touch with reality?

Plans were unveiled for a new shopping mall in Venice!
Even with a Publix, within walking distance (1 mile) they are going to build another one!!!

Wow, did it even cross their mind to build something on that cow pasture that would actually produce much needed jobs that paid over minimum wage?
Here's the link for the above mentioned exciting new shopping mall. And there is a CVS pharmacy a short 5 minute drive away in either direction from this soon to be shopping mall.

</title> <link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"> <style type="text/css"> </style> <LINK REL="STYLESHEET" HREF="../style.css" TYPE="text/css"></head> <script language="javascript"> function Clickheretoprint() { var disp_setting="toolb (http://www.venicegondolier.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=081907&story=vn1.htm&folder= NewsArchive3 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida