Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,479 times

Advertisements

things have changed...it is a full time job to find a job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,143 times
Default humidity ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Oh no, i need to be out of FL period. I always loved mountains and cooler weather. FL was fun when we first moved here, beach every day, driving around, visiting parks, boating, you name it. Now, it's it getting old and i'm getting bored. My major reason to leave would be high humidity, i don't mind the heat, but humidity is starting to take toll on me. I can deal with everything else, i'm flexible LOL. Atlanta is as hot and humid, i think all of the East coast is. We'll be traveling to PNW in May to check out some of the areas of interest.
Isn't the PNW ultra humid..I mean like England always cloudy, rainy, cool....No sun, very moderate but dreary????

Florida is weird.

It's like the bizzarro world for people from "normal" seasonal areas. I think one common mistake is to compare Florida seasons to "normal seasons". I'm from New England. When i made the decison to move everyone would say , isn't it really, really hot in the summer? Of course it is. It's Florida. Its in a sub-tropical area. I think you have to think of it in a different way in order to mentally handle it. Summer in Florida is not the time to do things that you would have done back home. Here is the bizzarro connection. It's like winter, ya stay in doors more, there is less people out etc. The plus side is that your in summer attire all the time, you can swim in a pool, go out fishing-boating, get in your favorite restaurants (snow birds are gone). When October comes back outside again until next June.

If i'm going to be humid, i'd rather be close to the beach. Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't imagine Georgia, Tenn. Miss. Ala. if it's the same all summer.

I'm mean Fla. has it's problems but I think the big one for most is the seperation from family and friends. It's hard to make good friends in Fla.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,143 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
that article refers to SW Florida. Has that area every been a big job producing machine, except for realtors? I'm not sure why someone would move there in the first place and then complain that there's no jobs. You need to move to someplace like Miami, ShepsMom.
This area is not an industrial giant. The industries that are here have a problem with getting employees. PGT the big window manufacturer in Venice runs 3 shifts 24 hours. They always complain that they can't get enough people. My theory is that workers come down here to play and not work. Not like back in the industrial areas up north. Everyday is nice here so it's easy to get side-tracked. Gee, I want to go fishing today. PGT has started a plant in NC and they get a good work force. Don't be surprised if they move the operation at some point.

In that article there was a Manatee company mentioned - Carter-Grandle. Well my cousin was the comptroller of that company. It failed because of bad management. So they went belly up and laid everyone off.

I am a machinist and I can get a job in Sarasota-Bradenton anytime. It don't pay the same as what I did up north but I did know that before I came.

Walmart is not a career, its just a job. I don't think you can compare those type jobs to industrial-manufacturing type jobs or even jobs at the Walmart warehouse in Arcadia.

I used to say that the corporations were trying to squeeze out extra dollars by changing things. McDonalds has us clean the tables and putting the trash away. Supermarkets have us move the shopping carts into those corralls. We pump our own gas. Doesn't that take jobs away from people? I don't know if you can really fight it. Maybe you can. I go to Walmart because they have what I need and it's the closest. I need a battery for my car. I go to Walmart or do I go to Advance Auto (big chain), Autozone, Napa (a little more local?). Is there really a little local guy anymore except some hardware stores..maybe a bicycle shop.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
This area is not an industrial giant. The industries that are here have a problem with getting employees. PGT the big window manufacturer in Venice runs 3 shifts 24 hours. They always complain that they can't get enough people. My theory is that workers come down here to play and not work. Not like back in the industrial areas up north. Everyday is nice here so it's easy to get side-tracked. Gee, I want to go fishing today. PGT has started a plant in NC and they get a good work force. Don't be surprised if they move the operation at some point.

In that article there was a Manatee company mentioned - Carter-Grandle. Well my cousin was the comptroller of that company. It failed because of bad management. So they went belly up and laid everyone off.

I am a machinist and I can get a job in Sarasota-Bradenton anytime. It don't pay the same as what I did up north but I did know that before I came.

Walmart is not a career, its just a job. I don't think you can compare those type jobs to industrial-manufacturing type jobs or even jobs at the Walmart warehouse in Arcadia.

I used to say that the corporations were trying to squeeze out extra dollars by changing things. McDonalds has us clean the tables and putting the trash away. Supermarkets have us move the shopping carts into those corralls. We pump our own gas. Doesn't that take jobs away from people? I don't know if you can really fight it. Maybe you can. I go to Walmart because they have what I need and it's the closest. I need a battery for my car. I go to Walmart or do I go to Advance Auto (big chain), Autozone, Napa (a little more local?). Is there really a little local guy anymore except some hardware stores..maybe a bicycle shop.

All commercial buildings have to have their windows replaced to hurricane standards, I forgot what I read, cause I read too much, but I think it's like around 2012...well, PGT has that contract...imagine the jobs!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
All commercial buildings have to have their windows replaced to hurricane standards, I forgot what I read, cause I read too much, but I think it's like around 2012...well, PGT has that contract...imagine the jobs!
My understanding is that no replacement was required until the windows had to be replaced. Also shutters and other protection is an alternative. To force property owners to change their windows would be unconstitutional. Insurance companies may require it, but I doubt that the glass-faced office buildings are going to be changing all of their windows in the next 5 years.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,016 times
PGT must be making it hand over fist. Too bad, I don't think its trickled down to the guys on the floor.

I could be wrong, but I think they make something like $8.00 an hour to start. After taxes that would mean $6.00 an hour.

But hey for working that hour, they can buy a gallon of milk, and get some change back.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 PM

72 posts, read 389,226 times
Any information on employment opportunities in Summerfield & Belleview? I'm contemplating a move to Florida from up north. Your time as well as your replys are appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
Isn't the PNW ultra humid..I mean like England always cloudy, rainy, cool....No sun, very moderate but dreary????

Florida is weird.

It's like the bizzarro world for people from "normal" seasonal areas. I think one common mistake is to compare Florida seasons to "normal seasons". I'm from New England. When i made the decison to move everyone would say , isn't it really, really hot in the summer? Of course it is. It's Florida. Its in a sub-tropical area. I think you have to think of it in a different way in order to mentally handle it. Summer in Florida is not the time to do things that you would have done back home. Here is the bizzarro connection. It's like winter, ya stay in doors more, there is less people out etc. The plus side is that your in summer attire all the time, you can swim in a pool, go out fishing-boating, get in your favorite restaurants (snow birds are gone). When October comes back outside again until next June.

If i'm going to be humid, i'd rather be close to the beach. Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't imagine Georgia, Tenn. Miss. Ala. if it's the same all summer.

I'm mean Fla. has it's problems but I think the big one for most is the seperation from family and friends. It's hard to make good friends in Fla.
There is so much to chose from out west.. It is dreary in Seattle area for 5-6 months but it doesn't ever get too cold and has a spectacular city, waterviews, mountains and tons of green everywhere. But then you got places like Colorado Springs or Boulder that get 300 days of sunlight, many warm days even in winter and are very dry climate but get very cold at night for five months. Overall an outdoor lovers paradise.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
There is so much to chose from out west.. It is dreary in Seattle area for 5-6 months but it doesn't ever get too cold and has a spectacular city, waterviews, mountains and tons of green everywhere. But then you got places like Colorado Springs or Boulder that get 300 days of sunlight, many warm days even in winter and are very dry climate but get very cold at night for five months. Overall an outdoor lovers paradise.
Thank you John, that's why i want to go outwest, the possibilities are endless. In FL, all you have is a beach if you're lucky and scenery never changes. I'm not a beach person and can care less. I can't wait for winter here, so i can put sweater on and inhale nice cool fresh air. Few more month to survive!!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Seattle is amazing as is Portland, OR. Definitely a different vibe out there compared to SW FL but I'd take those two places any day; especially Seattle. It does rain a lot, but Seattle actually has more sunny days than places like Cleveland, OH. So much to do & a VARIETY of things to do outside almost year round

We were suppose to be station in Fort Lewis, WA [about 45 mins from Seattle ] but our orders got changed to Fort Hood, TX [central TX ): ]. I've never let my husband forget what we missed out on

Best of luck either way. Life is 180 out there compared to FL, but many love it there as those who like FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida