Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 AM

5 posts, read 8,577 times

Advertisements

If you have any information on these area's I would really appreciate it if you could help me out as much as possible.

Currently I live in Scotland, United Kingdom and I am hoping to relocate the United States of America. I am an american citizen so for me this is fairly simple to do, I don't have any ties over here and I am young.

I have members of family who live in New Port Richey as well as Port Saint Lucie, but I have also looked in to the Kissimmee area. I am twenty years old so therefore I would enjoy living in an area which is maybe a bit more lively, however not somewhere which is too over crowded. I have a job which allows me to work from anywhere in the world so I dont need to be looking for employment, however this would be a bonus - should anything go wrong.

So basically I would just like to know good surrounding area's which are relitavely cheap as well as bad areas, maybe things I need to avoid. Maybe even pro's and cons. All the help you could give me would be appreciated as it's not easy trying to find out this kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Welcome to Florida!

Of the three I would most recommend the New Port Richey area, not NPR itself but 30 miles to the south in St Petersburg. The Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater metro area is the 2nd largest in the state and offers quite a bit to do. St Petersburg is surrounded by water with the beaches to the west and Tampa Bay to the east, so you really have a sense of living in Florida. The cost of living is quite manageable for a major metro area too.

Port St Lucie is very quiet/family-oriented as well as isolated from anywhere with much going on...West Palm Beach would be closest and it's about 50 miles away, with a somewhat hefty cost of living as well.

Kissimmee is a southern suburb of Orlando and is mainly an overflow area for Disney World visitors who utilize the many hotels/motels there. There are a number of younger people living there who work at Disney and in the tourist trade but there isn't much to do outside of going to the amusement parks which isn't something one can afford regularly, or not to mention want to do for very long as it would get rather boring.

St. Petersburg, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
I don't the area all that well yet, since I just bought in Dunedin, but I understood that New Port Richie was fairly suburban, fairly old demographic, and sounded pretty uninteresting, especially to a 20-year old. Why not St. Petersburg or somewhere else that's a bit more "happening"? You'd be a quick drive to your family.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 8,577 times
Thanks guys, I was thinking of St.Pete, but it's so hard to judge when you aren't over there, initially I am planning on staying with my family until I have found a suitable location. But I will definitely look further into places out with - I visited NPR last year and yes I agree it hasn't got that much going for it. I would much prefer an area that's more social and busy.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 35,024 times
I was focused on Port St Lucie until I read about the Nuclear Power Plant. Having lived by and through Three Mile Island, I did some more research and found out that there is a much higher rate of brain cancer in kids and higher mortality Breast cancer. I would stay away from there. It explains the cheap housing and low crime rate!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifetoo! View Post
I was focused on Port St Lucie until I read about the Nuclear Power Plant. Having lived by and through Three Mile Island, I did some more research and found out that there is a much higher rate of brain cancer in kids and higher mortality Breast cancer. I would stay away from there. It explains the cheap housing and low crime rate!
Oh no you didn't!!! Can't wait to see where this goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida