Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Could the reason why property taxes went up so much that people felt they had to flee was because the "assessed value" (which doesn't even reflect what most homes are selling for) was based on ballooning, bubble values?
Could the reason be that a multitude of home buyers over extended themselves on the home purchase and bought a home they really couldn't afford and the property taxes came along with it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's fine with me. As stated earlier, I wanted to avoid the Florida North - not due to the natives but the lovely transplants - and Yankee South. I had enough of the shallow folks looking for a cheaper deal and some place they could pave and turn into their own.

But I wonder how much you know about the Knox MSA. I'm told that Oak Ridge has the largest concentration of PhDs in the country. Consequently, they have great schools, as does Knox and Maryville. Yet, we still have a majority of Southerners and a revitalized and restored city center.

Shutting up now...
I'll be up in Nashville for Turkey Day ... might just have to detour over to Knoxville !

Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'll be up in Nashville for Turkey Day ... might just have to detour over to Knoxville !
I'll be happy to show you around or give you ideas on what to do. And I'm not an agent or work for the chamber of commerce.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
I seriously doubt I would be having the "problems" I now have if I was in NC as opposed to SW Florida. Closer to my kids, and less EXTREME weather as in Florida. Maybe that is why so many "Floridians" (probably transplants) are moving to NC.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
The floridians that I knew left because they thought NC was cheap and they could live like Queens and Kings than opposed to living here and that it was Utopia until they realized there were poblems and the economy sucks everywhere...I know 2 of them ive stayed in contact with their DH's just lost their jobs in Charlotte and well looking to come back here although they wont be able to find jobs since they had really good jobs that they had left....I think its Funny because some have moved back and others are trying to move back too if they can sell their Mansions in NC...But not all NC is the same...I cant speak of the whole state just where we lived....

Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
The floridians that I knew left because they thought NC was cheap and they could live like Queens and Kings than opposed to living here and that it was Utopia until they realized there were poblems and the economy sucks everywhere...I know 2 of them ive stayed in contact with their DH's just lost their jobs in Charlotte and well looking to come back here although they wont be able to find jobs since they had really good jobs that they had left....I think its Funny because some have moved back and others are trying to move back too if they can sell their Mansions in NC...But not all NC is the same...I cant speak of the whole state just where we lived....
I agree that a lot of Florida transplants went in search of place that was cheaper in the South. Big mistake. We moved to Knoxville because we loved the people, the weather, the school system and on and on. But a lot of people showed up because it was cheaper. Period. It was the same loudmouths that overran Florida. Thankfully none of them last long.

Interesting that so many native Floridians do well in Knoxville because it is more like Florida use to be. But transplants don't care for that. No matter where a certain crowd moves they try to make it just like their hometown and state. They did it to Florida but they will never do it to the South. Too many savvy natives that won't tolerate it.

The economy doesn't stink everywhere but you do have to do your research. I knew the market was going to take a dive and the banks would soon follow. Not a good idea to move to a city that heavily relies on banking.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Could the reason be that a multitude of home buyers over extended themselves on the home purchase and bought a home they really couldn't afford and the property taxes came along with it ?

And whose fault is that? Florida's?

A lot of people profited and got hosed on both ends of the housing bubble. Be it selling their 800 sq. ft. cape cod style bungalows up north for $700k, or turning around and losing that profit by overpaying for their Florida/Nevada/Arizona McMansion.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster;

Interesting that so many native Floridians do well in Knoxville because it is more like Florida use to be. But transplants don't care for that. No matter where a certain crowd moves they try to make it just like their hometown and state. They did it to Florida but they will never do it to the South. Too many savvy natives that won't tolerate it.

You're right. Many in Florida have always had little patience for the whiny crybaby Wizard of Oz heel clicking from miserables who drone on and on about how this is "no place like home," yet Florida has been unable to stop it from happening en masse. It's kind of like the United States in that respect. A lot of people from elsewhere coming here (as if they lack free will) trying to change what it is, and kvetching when it doesn't meet expectations.

It is what it is. If I ever move to Tennessee, I'm not going to complain about the lack of beaches, winter temperatures in the 20s, or that I can't get a great Publix sub. I would hope I would have the social and emotional skills to be able to accept the state for what it can offer, and to seek elsewhere if it becomes so awful that I feel compelled to post month after month about how bad it is for me on an internet board.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And whose fault is that? Florida's?

A lot of people profited and got hosed on both ends of the housing bubble. Be it selling their 800 sq. ft. cape cod style bungalows up north for $700k, or turning around and losing that profit by overpaying for their Florida/Nevada/Arizona McMansion.
Where in my post do I say it's Florida's fault ?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Where in my post do I say it's Florida's fault ?

I believe the second part of your sentence, regarding people being unable to afford their overpriced home and the "property taxes that came with it," was either a veiled, or outright, suggestion that property taxes priced people out of their homes. Florida's property taxes.

Of course, the premise is flawed (people who purchased at the bubble would have known what their taxes were before signing on the dotted line, and once the market corrected, property taxes have gone significantly for most people, and are still less than countless states in this country). But, to suggest that you weren't taking a swipe is disingenuous at best. Unless you weren't. But then I'd question the purpose of the post, and seek clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida