Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times

Advertisements

Neither are tropical, both subtropical technically lol. But I think the beaches definately resemble the Caribbean more in Miami than in WPB, though those are still pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Neither are tropical, both subtropical technically lol. But I think the beaches definately resemble the Caribbean more in Miami than in WPB, though those are still pretty.
South Florida from the keys west to Naples and east up to Jupiter is classified via the Köppen–Geiger climate classification system Af, Am and Aw climate, all of which are indeed Tropical, not Subtropical which starts north of Jupiter...

Köppen climate classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
South Florida from the keys west to Naples and east up to Jupiter is classified via the Köppen–Geiger climate classification system Af, Am and Aw climate, all of which are indeed Tropical, not Subtropical which starts north of Jupiter...

You're trusting Wikipedia? It can't be tropical if its outside the Tropics (between Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn), which it is. Besides, what about all of those freezes South Florida gets?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
Quote:
You're trusting Wikipedia? It can't be tropical if its outside the Tropics (between Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn), which it is. Besides, what about all of those freezes South Florida gets?
It's more tropical than San Diego.

less tropical than Hawaii.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,094 times
Quote:
It can't be tropical if its outside the Tropics (between Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn), which it is. Besides, what about all of those freezes South Florida gets?
LOL, I guess California can't be a Mediterranean climate since it's half way across the planet! Also, the top of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea are definitely tropical, never mind the tundra vegetation and snow cover in the winter.

But you have a point...Koppen classification or not, you don't often talk about freezes in *real* tropical places. The Keys are more genuinely tropical than Miami, but you really have to get into the Caribbean or Central America for *real* tropical climate. Miami and Palm Beach can be best described as borderline tropical.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
LOL, I guess California can't be a Mediterranean climate since it's half way across the planet! Also, the top of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea are definitely tropical, never mind the tundra vegetation and snow cover in the winter.

But you have a point...Koppen classification or not, you don't often talk about freezes in *real* tropical places. The Keys are more genuinely tropical than Miami, but you really have to get into the Caribbean or Central America for *real* tropical climate. Miami and Palm Beach can be best described as borderline tropical.
Excellent! +1

Old 10-13-2012, 04:44 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,234 times
Yes, no doubt, miami looks and feels more tropical and yes, you will have cooler temps in palm beach as the winter season approaches. You will feel this even more as you go north.

Once you get to the keys it is tropical and north to Gainesville and Tallahassee temperatures can get into the 30's and even lower. That is the beaury of Florida - you can experience many different topographies and climates. Out west, of course, that s a different story because of the mountains, etc.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I know they're like 70 miles apart, but is Miami noticeably warmer than West Palm?

I used to have a friend that would say "I cant live anywhere north ofn west palm because it's too cold"
They are only two counties apart so it's not that different any time of year. It's only about an hour by car away so the temperatures won't fluctuate that much. You won't have 80 degrees in Miami and 50 in WPB at the same time. Most of the year the temperatures probably won't fluctuate by more than 10 degrees. The yearly average high and low are colder in WPB by only 1 or 2 degrees.

When you get up to Jacksonville or Tallahassee is when it can get really cold in the winters. I check Wunderground.com and the overnight low in that area a week or two ago was in the 30s.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I know they're like 70 miles apart, but is Miami noticeably warmer than West Palm?

I used to have a friend that would say "I cant live anywhere north ofn west palm because it's too cold"

Yes Definitely .

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

Best post on here. Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida