Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 103,356 times

Advertisements

Anybody here knows a place in Florida where the heat is not like hell?

Ok, ac is a good thing, but I'm talking about an outside life somewhere in fl without dying red and dry under the sun!!

Maybe less humidity, or cooler wind somewhere, I don't know...

Hyp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
the coastal areas get a breeze, but other than that, there really isnt any cool places... it's summertime. it's 100 degrees in atlanta. it's hot everywhere!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 PM

64 posts, read 203,996 times
In Naples right now and it's great.

I love it.

But, I live in Toronto

Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
Thats the typical welcome to Florida wake up call, come from up north, in Jan or Feb, think Florida is like that year round, residents try to warn them, they don't listen and loe and behold here's August and the heat index is 105 and suddenly Florida isn't looking so pretty anymore.The beach is too hot, your car is an oven on wheels, construction is everywhere so you sit like a bug under a magnifying glass in your car while that sun burns right on down through your windshield, god help those who have leather seats you'll be molecularly binded with it when you go to sit down midafternoon.. Don't worry you'll start to cool of slightly in October.. Just be thankful that you don't have a hurricane, this time last year I had no power, no a/c and no screens on my porch to open my doors and let in air from Hurricane Wilma.. ahhhhh paradise

Oh and you in Naples, I checked the Naples Daily news yesterday did you catch the article on your heat index yesterday? Here's a refresher

Today's forecast calls for a warm temperatures and a 40 percent chance of rain. There is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8 a.m, then a better chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms after 1 p.m. Expect partly cloudy skies with a high near 94 degrees. Today's heat index values are as high as 112 degrees, and it is important to stay hydrated and cool in such conditions. Winds are east around eight mph.

112 thats enjoyable???????? Besides why do they call it a heat index, if it feels like its 112 out then its 112 not 98 degrees. Makes no sense!
I don't know anyone who likes that kind of heat... right now at 7:45 at night in Naples its 98 degrees. Thats ludicris!!! that doesn't include heat index or humidity factored in... Yuck.. its 72 here right now,, MUCH more enjoyable and reasonable

Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM

458 posts, read 598,695 times
So its great in New Hampshire right now...fantastic. My uncle lives in Nashua and I have spent many a winter there. Its brutally cold, dry, gray, no leaves, barren, boring, everyone has the flu...horrible for 4 months.

I'll take a Florida summer over a New Hampshire winter any day.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
112 thats enjoyable???????? Besides why do they call it a heat index, if it feels like its 112 out then its 112 not 98 degrees. Makes no sense!
I don't know anyone who likes that kind of heat... right now at 7:45 at night in Naples its 98 degrees.
After enjoying a miserable 30 minutes outside with my son who begs all day to go outside but can't b/c there is always a heat index of over 100, it was 87 w/ a heat index of 91 & humidty of 73%...at 8pm...
This has been day after day after day for the last 2-3 months.
At least up north there is VARIETY & not endless.

Yuck, is all I can say.

But it is basically this way in most of the SE US right now. Just hot & humid. And the midwest has been getting slammed with rain. So, hey, it's something somewhere

Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,730 times
Does the gulf side ever get a breeze from the water?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,730 times
Yes, there is a variety of things to scrape off your car -- snow, ice, frost. Oh and there's black sludge in the streets to mess up your shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

At least up north there is VARIETY & not endless.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM

66 posts, read 313,053 times
We are from Califorina and have family there. We somehow always time our visits for June to August. Where the family lives in the foothills it is 112 in the shade (without humidity) in the summer. BUT, we always schedule 3-4 days in SanFran, where it's in the sixties. Just like walking into a 1000 sq. mile liquor-store cooler with Irish Coffees at every corner. San Fran seem to be an icebox each summer. I seem to have a lot of barely-worn SanFran sweatshirts in the closet. So cool.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:55 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Does the gulf side ever get a breeze from the water?
In Punta Gorda, if there is a storm coming, there is usually a great breeze & we enjoy watching the storm. That is the one thing I like about FL summers- the thunderstorms--though it rarely happens in Punta Gorda.

Other than that, not much of a breeze for the last several weeks.

I was born & raised in Ohio. I wasn't scraping ice off my car or shoveling for 90+ straight days. It comes & goes up there. And nothing like a snow storm in late April...now, THAT is annoying

I don't walk through the sludge nor wear good shoes out in bad weather. It's in my blood to live through winter. Don't always enjoy it, but I find I can do a lot more in winter up north than summer down south....that is just me...may be crazy....but just how I am.

Here, just constant relentess humidity & heat. Would love to know the last day the heat index was below 80 for at least 6 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida