Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,611 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher in Collier County. Make under $40K. My husband is a mailman. So yes, anywhere else, we have two respectable jobs with respectable incomes. We should be able to live very comfortable...not rich, but shouldn't have any worries. Two kids, still in grade schools, so haven't bit hit with money for cars, braces, college...yet. At the moment we are renting, because we did just move down within the past 2 years. However. In April, we played with buying a house. We looked at houses. With our two respectable salaries, we could't afford to own a house. Between the mortgage for these overpriced homes, then the property tax, and then the insurance if we could even get insurance...we decided to keep renting becuase we would be house poor, and having kids, a family can't afford to be house poor. I don't really care about the rental benefits that some companies are offering for teachers. I feel that I should be in a position to OWN my own home. To have my own yard for my dog and children. To not worry about whether or not i will be rented to the following year. To not have to worry about something going wrong-the dog peed on the carpet and now i have to pay for brand new carpet for a place that isn't mine (just an example) Now, I know that Collier is one of the more expensive counties. So yes, I have looked at other areas of the state on realtor.com. The homes are still to much money for the size.
I don't expect everything new. I would buy a fixer upper-at a reasonable fixer upper price. I have seen some fixer-uppers with a small square footage that were still being charged close to $200K! As-is homes for $240K.
What I am trying to say is that unless you're significant other makes a substancial (sp) amount of money, you really can't afford much. Not even the run-down homes, unless you want to live in the most run-down neighborhoods-and part of the reason I went to college and got a degree to get a career was to get OUT of my old run-down neighborhood-not move back in.
I hope you have luck being a teacher. I love it, and I will not trade professions. I want to stay in Florida being a teacher, but I have a feeling that when my lease is up in a year and a half, unless things take a DRASTIC change which most likely they won't, I won't be able to stay in FL being a teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 09:53 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,042 times
Here's my 2 cents:

I was born and raised in Miami. I even went to college in Miami, and started teaching there. My salary back in 2001 (my first year) was 33K I believe. I taught in Miami-Dade County, lived in Pembroke Pines, Florida, and was paying about...835 a month for a small, one bedroom apt. Fast forward 2 years....I decided to get out to try and purchase a small condo...on my paltry teacher salary, I couldn't afford anything in an area where I'd feel safe. I ended up moving to Metro Atlanta where I bought a townhouse brand new that was way less than what I qualified for and I am making almost 10K more than what I would be making in Miami right now.

I say this to say that Florida does NOT love it's teachers. You will be working simply to make ends meet if you teach in Florida. Yes, the beaches are great and whatnot, but how can you enjoy it if you are worried about how you will pay your bills?

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:36 PM

37 posts, read 187,395 times
Well I definitely would plan on renting an apartment if I move down to Florida to teach. When I lived in Tallahassee I had a nice 2 bedroom in a great area for just $520 a month. From many responses, it sounds like Florida is not a good place for teachers because of the high living expenses and what not. I don't really care about pay because I love kids and I want to be a positive role model for children for their future. I love Florida so much, I can't really think of anywhere else I would want to be...i guess i have a tough decision ahead of me...

Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 PM

26 posts, read 45,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I am a teacher in Collier County. Make under $40K. My husband is a mailman. So yes, anywhere else, we have two respectable jobs with respectable incomes. We should be able to live very comfortable...not rich, but shouldn't have any worries. Two kids, still in grade schools, so haven't bit hit with money for cars, braces, college...yet. At the moment we are renting, because we did just move down within the past 2 years. However. In April, we played with buying a house. We looked at houses. With our two respectable salaries, we could't afford to own a house. Between the mortgage for these overpriced homes, then the property tax, and then the insurance if we could even get insurance...we decided to keep renting becuase we would be house poor, and having kids, a family can't afford to be house poor. I don't really care about the rental benefits that some companies are offering for teachers. I feel that I should be in a position to OWN my own home. To have my own yard for my dog and children. To not worry about whether or not i will be rented to the following year. To not have to worry about something going wrong-the dog peed on the carpet and now i have to pay for brand new carpet for a place that isn't mine (just an example) Now, I know that Collier is one of the more expensive counties. So yes, I have looked at other areas of the state on realtor.com. The homes are still to much money for the size.
I don't expect everything new. I would buy a fixer upper-at a reasonable fixer upper price. I have seen some fixer-uppers with a small square footage that were still being charged close to $200K! As-is homes for $240K.
What I am trying to say is that unless you're significant other makes a substancial (sp) amount of money, you really can't afford much. Not even the run-down homes, unless you want to live in the most run-down neighborhoods-and part of the reason I went to college and got a degree to get a career was to get OUT of my old run-down neighborhood-not move back in.
I hope you have luck being a teacher. I love it, and I will not trade professions. I want to stay in Florida being a teacher, but I have a feeling that when my lease is up in a year and a half, unless things take a DRASTIC change which most likely they won't, I won't be able to stay in FL being a teacher.
Curious...did you move here with any money left from the sale of your old home, or were you renting where you came from, too?? If you and your husband make 40k each a year, you should be able to afford something in the 240k range, if you are debt free and have good credit. A good mortgage broker is the place to start. You're not going to find much of a house anywhere in the country for less than 200k, unless you want to live in an undesirable area.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,149,514 times
Quote:
Mrshvo
I am going to check with some of my friends down in Naples and will let you know if they know of any 'affordable' decent fixer-upper homes.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:12 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,398 times
Quote:

I know, its crazy! Tons of teachers, cops, nurses, carpenters and other middle class $30-40k annual salary workers are squeezed out! You have a couple options. Does a condominium appeal to you? A 2 bedroomer can be had for $175k to $200k in a great neighboorhood. Ask your two children if they would be OK sharing a bedroom. There are 3 bedroom condos but most of them are somewhere in the mid $200s Smaller 3 bedroom condos can be had for around $200k. There are townhouses, figure in 3/4 the price vs. a detached house. Condos likewise are also about 3/4 price, nonwithstanding the luxury high rises!

Do any of the mobile home parks around you appeal? There will be some stigma attached but dont worry how others judge. I wouldnt let anyone give me a hard time about mobiles, im not trying to impress anyone. There are some good neighboors in mobile parks. Ive drove thru some and the good ones are clean looking, no litter all over the place, beautiful mobile homes with few or no broken ones and friendly residents that wave as we drive by! Lot fees are around $500 a month which is less than 1/2 the price of apartment rental. A 3 bedroom double wide can be bought for $30k or so.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:18 AM

99 posts, read 308,286 times
[quote=DAVID_S;86917]Curious...did you move here with any money left from the sale of your old home, or were you renting where you came from, too?? If you and your husband make 40k each a year, you should be able to afford something in the 240k range, if you are debt free and have good credit. A good mortgage broker is the place to start. You're not going to find much of a house anywhere in the country for less than 200k, unless you want to live in an undesirable area.[/QUOTE]

That's incorrect. It depends on your definition of undesirable. Many places in the 'true south' have homes for under 200k in solidly middle-class areas. They really can't afford a home in the 240k range, as they most likely want a conventional 30-year mortgage and have several kids. Between the house payment, insurance, taxes, and upkeep; they
are looking at a payment of $1800-2000 per month. Add to that everyday bills and the price of kids---I see why it is not a feasible option for them.

To iluvflorida, if you truly love the state--follow your dream. It may mean you need to work two jobs and get a roommate, but you will be where you want. If you're willing to sacrifice, you can do it.

The pay for teachers in FL sucks. No two ways about it. So either you find another place to love or you deal with it and try to make it work. As far as South FL, the pay is better but the housing more expensive, so it's a double-edged sword. If you don't have children, do what's best for you.

Last edited by chocomom; 09-11-2006 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: extra info

Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,611 times
Chocomom hit it in the head. When we played with a house, I was approved for a mortgage of up to 300K-and that made me realize that they will approve anyone for any amount. I was looking at monthly payments of $1800, but that was only factoring in about $100 a month for taxes as well as insurance, which we know sky rocketed up. So now, I could not afford a home at all on our own. I guess I am being realistic. I know that I want what I always dreamed of since I was a kid. I have been pretty good with getting my goals accomplished: I always wanted to be a teacher since I was 9, to have 3 kids (only have 2;still want one more), be married, and own a home. Have every dream except the other child (daughter!daughter!) and my home. I have always wanted a home with at least 3 bedrooms, and a yard. Not a manshion. And unfortunately, with our professions, and the way things have went...I can't have it in Naples. I wish I could. I don't want to live. I can deal with whatever everyone else says is wrong. I didn't move to Naples because I wanted to be by the beach; I never go in the water! We had family down here, and we both were able to get employment. This was before the housing skyrocketed, otherwise we wouldn't have came. Now that we're here...I can't have the home I always wanted and I know elsewhere that we can have.
I wish everyone luck in what they do-if you are a teacher without kids and don't mind renting, then come on down!!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:14 PM

99 posts, read 308,286 times
Quote:
Chocomom hit it in the head. When we played with a house, I was approved for a mortgage of up to 300K-and that made me realize that they will approve anyone for any amount. I was looking at monthly payments of $1800, but that was only factoring in about $100 a month for taxes as well as insurance, which we know sky rocketed up. So now, I could not afford a home at all on our own. I guess I am being realistic. I know that I want what I always dreamed of since I was a kid. I have been pretty good with getting my goals accomplished: I always wanted to be a teacher since I was 9, to have 3 kids (only have 2;still want one more), be married, and own a home. Have every dream except the other child (daughter!daughter!) and my home. I have always wanted a home with at least 3 bedrooms, and a yard. Not a manshion. And unfortunately, with our professions, and the way things have went...I can't have it in Naples. I wish I could. I don't want to live. I can deal with whatever everyone else says is wrong. I didn't move to Naples because I wanted to be by the beach; I never go in the water! We had family down here, and we both were able to get employment. This was before the housing skyrocketed, otherwise we wouldn't have came. Now that we're here...I can't have the home I always wanted and I know elsewhere that we can have.
I wish everyone luck in what they do-if you are a teacher without kids and don't mind renting, then come on down!!

Mrshvo, no prob. My husband and I are relocating to GA at the end of the month. He is a probation officer, I'm and admin asst. We're young (25 & 26), so we've decided to take the leap of faith and make our situation better. But we make good money for our age (65k) and we're barely keeping our heads above water with two kids.

I know your pain. Good luck on your family's future endeavors.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID_S View Post
You're not going to find much of a house anywhere in the country for less than 200k, unless you want to live in an undesirable area.
that's not true. You can find a great house in North Georgia (metro Atlanta) for under 200K and in a decent neighborhood. I bought a brand new three bedroom, all brick townhouse with a YARD in metro Atlanta for under 120K two years ago...it would probably go for 135 now.

North Carolina is similar...I have many friends who recently bought homes for under 150K and are in great, safe neighborhoods.

Last edited by DoveDiva; 09-11-2006 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida