Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 795 times

Advertisements

BTW : sorry theres alot of typos , try to do this on a cell phone key board screen.

Dont move here you will regret it. I know I do. I haved lived in the north east,the Caribbean and now for 7 years in the mount trashmore / cutler ridge area and I hate every thing about it.

1.Miami is on a average about 80 to 90 degrees on a daily basis but it feels more like the 100s from March to mid Oct cause the humidity. Winter well there is none..... YOU might get 1 day of about 55 degrees in Jan but most of the time from Oct to Feb..... in the morning is in the 65s but in the afternoon goes up to 75 ( feels like 80 ) its joke. Anyways, if You enjoy cool temperatures then Miami is not the place for you.

2. Schools --- well if you are originally from Miami then I guess you can say that the more expensive neighborhoods have better schools than the lower income areas but thats just being bias...Well for me I know the school system here is pretty bad and I can say that ,Well because,I was raised in the north east and went to pretty good schools there and also attended a school in the caribbean for about year. Where the quality of educations are like 3rd world country standards. Schools here remind me a lot of them
3. Mount Trashmore really smells at least 3 X a week not including when there is a garbage mist in the air once a month or so, caused by the humidity and the rain from the night before.
4. Miami is not a melting pot!!!! Having a city where the majority of residents are all Hispanics from different Latin countries is not to be consider a diverse place. That in my book is called Telemundo. By the way I'm Hispanic, if you can tell by now. I've lived in NYC and visited Chicago several times and that is what you call DIVERSITY = ( Hispanics, Whites, Blacks, Asians, Multiracial folks all living in the same neighborhood with open minds and content with the culture environment). People Stop saying that Miami is a melting pot !!!!
5. The traffic , Yes!!!! the traffic is bad. Just think of this, It will take you (in the mooring during rush hour)from Cutler ridge area to north Miami between 1 1/2 to 2 to get there. When I first moved here I used to drive my kids to school and we had a game that played out like this .....the person who spotted the most accidents in the highway wins. I know it sound horribly but try being in traffic in a car for a long time with little ones asking " are we there yet " cause they are used to walking to school . FYI I drove my kids to a better school district.

6. Most teachers speak broken English because most of them got their degrees in another county. About 95 % of them.

7. Racism is very alive here. The communities are pretty segregated. ( can anyone say ZIMMERMAN ) When I was looking for a home to purchase most realtors, would pitch me this " ***ENGLISH ONLY*** Translation : This area has a lot Hispanics and its a bit lighter on this side of town but cutler ridge area is more white. Like I care , please. I was so discussed with the mentality. I moved from renting in west Kendall looking for diversity and more land for my money. Now is really crowded and there's still some segregation.
8. The crime is so bad it reminds me of NYC in the 80's when you counld'nt walk down the streets with out getting your chain ripped off. Except here you don't walk you drive and you get rob at the gas stations at gunpoint. I stop watching the news its to sad. The heat makes every body very aggressive, I guess, thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.

8. If your thing is beaches, sand, hot really hot beach weather, water sports like boating, fishing, happy hour Mon to Fri, like shorts Tshirts and flip flops, more sand and heat, modern art, art deco style architecture ( kind of boring ), THE MALLS lots of them, LOTS of MINI stip MALLS. Rude foreigners with bad driving habits from country with not traffic lights THAN this is the place for YOU.

9. But if you love the 4 seasons Like -- Fall, Halloween celebrations with pumpkins and leaves and apple picking not ---- el dia de los multos and nother reason to do another porch party while lisenning the latest julio Iglesias or pittbull song and butty shaking or Christmas and the Christmas spirit with eggnog and ginger bread cookies and winter crisp cool nights ----- not just another excuse to make noise and party and everyone complaining that its freezing or Spring with beautiful flowers seeing everything come to live again ---- not more HEAT dried up dead gardens caused by the heat wave or (the best for last) Summer enjoying while it last cause you know its temporary ---- not SCORCHING hot weather with the feeling as if your sticking your head out the front door of your house, you fell like you just baked some cookies and your taking them out the oven. Yes ! at 12 pm it can get really hot and humid.

11. All the homes look the same , same Spanish roof tiles, same colors ( pink,yellow, peach,green mint, baby blue, orange), same styles of home every where you look.

12. Living here is like living in a EDWARD SCISORHAM like community. Google it its a Jonny dept 80's movie where the town looks clone.

13. Woman have no class, hey all dress and look cheap. Sorry girls I have too keep it real.
14. If you dont speak some Spanish your screw.
15. Once again is really hot.
16. The trend of plastic surgery is very popular giving young teen girls more reason to feel insecure in those early years while creating low self esteem thous the cheap mentality.
17. There is a chip on the shoulder immigrant mentality of Everybody came here from another country and was a "doctor". They are all to good to pick some fruits or work in Walmart. Refugees enjoy many benefits from our safety nets my grandparents and their grandparents work so hard for to create with their tax dollars. Creating an elite group of leaches with a political support system.
18 Because most are immigrants refugees are from very poor countries, living the american dream is owning a flat screen TV,a BMW and living in a house even if you have to rent some rooms to do so.
19. Home owner associations are the Fidel Castro of the communities and is normal to the average resident -- I guessing they had it much worst in the their countries.
20. People are just rude and mean as stated on the above comment from Jenei who lived in south miami -you dont know your neighbors. People are not friendly and dont care to get to know you.
21. There is absolutly no NOn profits activities community culture centers for kids and teens to keep them busy during schools off hours and holidays like for example girls and boys clubs.

Well ...... I can go on for ever but my fingers hurt, but I will say this the florida keys are one of the most beautiful peaceful places If been to especially Marathon but then again that is not Miami its part of Monroe county the west coast of Florida like Naples and Marco island one of many desirable places in Forida to live in other than Jupiter....

I see its been a while since your post but hopefully some one else will read this and not make the same mistake I did. I wish some would have warned me.

sorry theres alot of typos , try to do this on a cell phone key board screen.

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-06-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
IMHO i would move to the upper Florida keys in short,any place South of homestead. You would need to take the 18 mile stretch or card sound road to get to/from work but i would live south of homestead. key largo or surrounding areas would be my choice for the laid back atmosphere and beautiful scenery and way less crime than Miami-dade.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
IMHO i would move to the upper Florida keys in short,any place South of homestead. You would need to take the 18 mile stretch or card sound road to get to/from work but i would live south of homestead. key largo or surrounding areas would be my choice for the laid back atmosphere and beautiful scenery and way less crime than Miami-dade.
I'd never recommend that commute especially during snowbird season.

Not to mention the issues they're having in the Keys with hookup of sewage services, homeowner's insurance/flood insurance issues.....

Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamilet-edw View Post
BTW : sorry theres alot of typos , try to do this on a cell phone key board screen.

Dont move here you will regret it. I know I do. I haved lived in the north east,the Caribbean and now for 7 years in the mount trashmore / cutler ridge area and I hate every thing about it.

1.Miami is on a average about 80 to 90 degrees on a daily basis but it feels more like the 100s from March to mid Oct cause the humidity. Winter well there is none..... YOU might get 1 day of about 55 degrees in Jan but most of the time from Oct to Feb..... in the morning is in the 65s but in the afternoon goes up to 75 ( feels like 80 ) its joke. Anyways, if You enjoy cool temperatures then Miami is not the place for you.

You're in south Florida...a place that has a tropical climate...what were you expecting? If you want cold weather go up North. I personally love the weather down there and humidity isn't that bad, it feels pretty nice especially by the beach.

2. Schools --- well if you are originally from Miami then I guess you can say that the more expensive neighborhoods have better schools than the lower income areas but thats just being bias...Well for me I know the school system here is pretty bad and I can say that ,Well because,I was raised in the north east and went to pretty good schools there and also attended a school in the caribbean for about year. Where the quality of educations are like 3rd world country standards. Schools here remind me a lot of them

I don't have any kids so can't comment on this one. I do know some parts of Florida have a struggling school communities, however there are plenty of awesome colleges in Florida, including Miami. It's sure as hell is not like a 3rd world country.

3. Mount Trashmore really smells at least 3 X a week not including when there is a garbage mist in the air once a month or so, caused by the humidity and the rain from the night before.

I have no idea what you're going on about here...never smelt anything bad all the times I've been there, never saw a "Mount Trashmore" or anything of the sort.

4. Miami is not a melting pot!!!! Having a city where the majority of residents are all Hispanics from different Latin countries is not to be consider a diverse place. That in my book is called Telemundo. By the way I'm Hispanic, if you can tell by now. I've lived in NYC and visited Chicago several times and that is what you call DIVERSITY = ( Hispanics, Whites, Blacks, Asians, Multiracial folks all living in the same neighborhood with open minds and content with the culture environment). People Stop saying that Miami is a melting pot !!!!

Miami is most certainly a melting pot. It's even classified as an Alpha-World City, there are plenty of immigrants from various latin and caribbean countries, including other places from all over the world. It's very diverse, saying it isn't makes me wonder if you've ever even been to Miami.

And I've never seen any closed minded people there, for the most part people seem to get along. I'm sure there are some dumb people there, and there are some neighborhoods where mainly one ethnic group lives at, but that's in every major city. I see a lot of mixed neighborhoods and couples in Miami. And you're joking with the NYC and Chicago comment I hope, those places that have full front gangs killing each other every day?

5. The traffic , Yes!!!! the traffic is bad. Just think of this, It will take you (in the mooring during rush hour)from Cutler ridge area to north Miami between 1 1/2 to 2 to get there. When I first moved here I used to drive my kids to school and we had a game that played out like this .....the person who spotted the most accidents in the highway wins. I know it sound horribly but try being in traffic in a car for a long time with little ones asking " are we there yet " cause they are used to walking to school . FYI I drove my kids to a better school district.

Traffic can certainly be bad in certain parts and at certain times, I'll give you that. But if you visit the city enough or live there you should know what parts to avoid, the traffic isn't really that bad compared to some other major cities (LA, Honolulu, New York etc...) Most of the traffic I find tends to be in more of the tourist areas, especially Miami Beach.

6. Most teachers speak broken English because most of them got their degrees in another county. About 95 % of them.

Proof for this? I don't have any kids so I have zero experience with the school system in Miami, but I highly doubt 95% of the teachers can't speak English.

7. Racism is very alive here. The communities are pretty segregated. ( can anyone say ZIMMERMAN ) When I was looking for a home to purchase most realtors, would pitch me this " ***ENGLISH ONLY*** Translation : This area has a lot Hispanics and its a bit lighter on this side of town but cutler ridge area is more white. Like I care , please. I was so discussed with the mentality. I moved from renting in west Kendall looking for diversity and more land for my money. Now is really crowded and there's still some segregation.

I've never encountered any racism in Miami. Again like I said above some neighborhoods do have a concentration of one ethnic group over another, but that exists in EVERY major city. For the most part I see plenty of intermixed neighborhoods. I once looked at moving down to Miami and never once saw anything that said "English Only" or the like.

8. The crime is so bad it reminds me of NYC in the 80's when you counld'nt walk down the streets with out getting your chain ripped off. Except here you don't walk you drive and you get rob at the gas stations at gunpoint. I stop watching the news its to sad. The heat makes every body very aggressive, I guess, thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Certain parts of Miami do have some crime (again like every major city), but for the most part it's pretty safe. Common sense tells you what neighborhoods to avoid, and visitors don't go to those parts in the first place. And LOL at the NYC comment, Miami isn't even on the same level crime wise.

8. If your thing is beaches, sand, hot really hot beach weather, water sports like boating, fishing, happy hour Mon to Fri, like shorts Tshirts and flip flops, more sand and heat, modern art, art deco style architecture ( kind of boring ), THE MALLS lots of them, LOTS of MINI stip MALLS. Rude foreigners with bad driving habits from country with not traffic lights THAN this is the place for YOU.

Miami is for people who like amazing weather, awesome beaches, beautiful women, and lot's of opportunities and activities. It's an amazing place.

9. But if you love the 4 seasons Like -- Fall, Halloween celebrations with pumpkins and leaves and apple picking not ---- el dia de los multos and nother reason to do another porch party while lisenning the latest julio Iglesias or pittbull song and butty shaking or Christmas and the Christmas spirit with eggnog and ginger bread cookies and winter crisp cool nights ----- not just another excuse to make noise and party and everyone complaining that its freezing or Spring with beautiful flowers seeing everything come to live again ---- not more HEAT dried up dead gardens caused by the heat wave or (the best for last) Summer enjoying while it last cause you know its temporary ---- not SCORCHING hot weather with the feeling as if your sticking your head out the front door of your house, you fell like you just baked some cookies and your taking them out the oven. Yes ! at 12 pm it can get really hot and humid.

I agree if you want 4 seasons. However not everyone does, and some people are happy with that.

11. All the homes look the same , same Spanish roof tiles, same colors ( pink,yellow, peach,green mint, baby blue, orange), same styles of home every where you look.

Simply not true. You must not get out much, LOL have you ever even been to Miami?

12. Living here is like living in a EDWARD SCISORHAM like community. Google it its a Jonny dept 80's movie where the town looks clone.

Erm...what?

13. Woman have no class, hey all dress and look cheap. Sorry girls I have too keep it real.

Miami has a mix of all kinds of women just like everywhere else, some look nice others do not. The most beautiful women I've ever seen have been in South Florida (and New Orleans, those black-french mixed women are FINE!)

14. If you dont speak some Spanish your screw.
This isn't even remotely close to the truth. You don't need to speak Spanish to live in Miami, it does help but by no means is it a requirement. I here English spoken in Miami FAR more than Spanish. And most of the Latino community there speaks English as well.

15. Once again is really hot.
Already covered this. Go back and read it again.

16. The trend of plastic surgery is very popular giving young teen girls more reason to feel insecure in those early years while creating low self esteem thous the cheap mentality.
I don't know anyone in Miami who has plastic surgery, including families that have teen girls. They all seem just fine. Most of the people that live there couldn't afford it to begin with, it's not a place crawling with movie stars and stupid celebrities, average people live there too.

17. There is a chip on the shoulder immigrant mentality of Everybody came here from another country and was a "doctor". They are all to good to pick some fruits or work in Walmart. Refugees enjoy many benefits from our safety nets my grandparents and their grandparents work so hard for to create with their tax dollars. Creating an elite group of leaches with a political support system.
I have no idea what you're ranting about here...

18 Because most are immigrants refugees are from very poor countries, living the american dream is owning a flat screen TV,a BMW and living in a house even if you have to rent some rooms to do so.
Ok? And? Why do you care what other people are doing with their money? Or what their house is like? For some people those things make them happy. I bet they are happy to be in a safe country where they can make something of themselves and their families. What better place to do that than Miami?

19. Home owner associations are the Fidel Castro of the communities and is normal to the average resident -- I guessing they had it much worst in the their countries.
Again I have no idea what you're talking about here. But again I don't live in Miami (and I suspect you don't either)

20. People are just rude and mean as stated on the above comment from Jenei who lived in south miami -you dont know your neighbors. People are not friendly and dont care to get to know you.
Not true. Sure every place has it's jerks and Miami is no exception, but most of the people I know and meet in Miami are very friendly.

21. There is absolutly no NOn profits activities community culture centers for kids and teens to keep them busy during schools off hours and holidays like for example girls and boys clubs.
I don't know anything about this, but I'm sure there are some activities available if you looked for them, especially school activities.

Well ...... I can go on for ever but my fingers hurt, but I will say this the florida keys are one of the most beautiful peaceful places If been to especially Marathon but then again that is not Miami its part of Monroe county the west coast of Florida like Naples and Marco island one of many desirable places in Forida to live in other than Jupiter....

I see its been a while since your post but hopefully some one else will read this and not make the same mistake I did. I wish some would have warned me.

sorry theres alot of typos , try to do this on a cell phone key board screen.
My responses in bold.

Honestly I don't believe you really live in Miami given some of your comments. Not trying to be rude or anything, so I aologize if I come across that way, but some your "points" are very questionable.

As for the Florida Keys, I have never been but here they are beautiful. I hope to visit soon, however you have to have the right mentality when you visit or live in any place. If you go looking for negatives and to be nitpicky, then you will be unhappy regardless of where you live.

Moving to South Florida may have been a mistake for you, but for a lot of people it's not. Many people move here and are very happy. If you're not (which obviously you're not) then you could always leave and go somewhere else. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Not sure why Jamilet-edw dragged this post out all the way back from 2006?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida