Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
The article fails to mention how someone from a foreign country (average person) can move here and afford to buy a house and maintain it (taxes and insurance). Along with finding a sponsor to give them a visa and eventually earn a green card which isn't a cheap or quick process.

Nor does it mention how young people, recent HS or College Graduates, no matter what ethnic group they are, can afford to live and work here and/or find a job.

Only so far you can go on a landscaper or service person salary here.
I used to submit applications for credit cards at a major furniture store in Miami, and I'll tell you how some people are doing it. For this purpose, I will assume that my customers were here legally only because they gave me a SSN for the credit app. When submitting an app, we would always get the applicant's gross monthly income and then ask if they had any other income (ie. not from the employer listed on the app). Many times people would tell me a modest sum for their monthly income and then give me an absorbitant amount for their "other" income. It was not my job to ask what the source of this income was, as the credit bureau wasn't interested, as long as the money was available to the applicant. One customer that sticks out in my mind reported ~$2000/month from his employer and then ~$9000/month from "other income". Apparently many people have fingers in several different pots. Make of that what you will.

As far as young people go, they will scrape by as long as they can in order to live in party central/"paradise". They do this by living with roommates. The ones that are interested in actually purchasing a home at some point will eventually move on when they realize that things are out of reach (such as myself, and a few of my friends who only lasted a few years), but those who like the social scene will live on credit or paycheck to paycheck as long as the beach and nightlife are available. My guess would be that younger demographics are probably the most transient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 PM

112 posts, read 428,136 times
Smile which is it??

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Is it the bodysnatchers we should be aware of, or is it the snatches on the bodys?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
The article fails to mention how someone from a foreign country (average person) can move here and afford to buy a house and maintain it (taxes and insurance). Along with finding a sponsor to give them a visa and eventually earn a green card which isn't a cheap or quick process.

Nor does it mention how young people, recent HS or College Graduates, no matter what ethnic group they are, can afford to live and work here and/or find a job.

Only so far you can go on a landscaper or service person salary here.
Miamiblue, that's very interesting.

Here's another theory~there are some countries where many people live in one household and it's more then likely what the invaders are doing, too. Up here one family will rent a house and 20 others will live there, too. It only takes a year and the house has to be burned down cause it's so filthy and trashed. They just move on to another one. They have worn out their welcome fast. The ones who aren't legal are probably happy and relieved to be shipped back home cause we don't make them feel too comfy or welcome here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: