Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 AM

4 posts, read 32,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
I am looking to move back to Florida in the near future (I moved away from Miami about 5 years ago) and would like to find a nice city much smaller than Miami, but still large enough to have some energy, nightlife and economic opportunities. Right now, which smaller Florida cities are generally the best places to live? I am a water & nature lover, so cities that have lots to offer involving those things get bonus points!!
[SIZE=3]Tallahassee may be a good choice. Tallahassee is a small city with friendly people and southern hospitality. Tallahassee kind of sits in the middle of a huge forest with no big cites anywhere close by. Jacksonville is the closest big city, about 150 miles away. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Tallahassee has a young vibrant population as it supports to state universities (Florida State and FAMU). There is affordable housing, but good well paying jobs are hard to find due to competition from a large college educated population. Trees and rolling hills dominate the landscape. Several state and federal wildlife management areas surround the city. About 30-45 min. south of Tallahassee you will find several quaint little towns located on the Gulf coast. The Tallahassee area is truly an outdoorsman’s paradise. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Good Luck!![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 AM

345 posts, read 971,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Does anyone have any comments on nice smaller cities in South Florida?
The problem with South Florida is it really isn't a collection of individual cities but rather one, huge massive super city from Jupiter to Homestead. So where ever you go, you aren't going to get that small town feel in South Florida. There are no real breaks and open spaces between the cities. You'll be driving through one city and the only way you'll know you are in another city is that there is a sign saying "Welcome to ____"

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,425,293 times
yeah, the only smaller cities in s florida are on the west coast

and from what ive seen, its all old fogies

Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,279,224 times
You can live somewhere like Palm Beach Gardens, which is 10-15 minutes away from West Palm Beach's crazier pace, yet with its own vibe and lots of young professionals and activities (both nature and non) very close by.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM

119 posts, read 395,565 times
Default Nuh uh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
yeah, the only smaller cities in s florida are on the west coast

and from what ive seen, its all old fogies
No town is "all old fogies." There are some that have a greater population of
them, but all towns have younger people. You could not pay me to live on the east coast!

For the OP who wanted to be near water, I would highly suggest Sarasota. It's a wonderful town with lots of beautiful beaches and culture and night life. It has it all, although I believe it's getting pricier to live there, housing wise.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,348,672 times
My personal opinion for some energy, nightlife and economic opportunities, for a water and nature lover in a smaller city is TAMPA. My neighbor grows Mangos.(and oranges, grapefruit, lemons and limes, and comquates(sp?).

Old 08-31-2007, 11:41 AM

142 posts, read 1,028,075 times
I did like Tampa a lot...I have relatives who live there. Alone, the city is nothing to get really exited about. But, it is in close proximity to several other nice cities (St. Pete, Sarasota, Etc) , which all have a unique vibe. Also, Tampa is connected to these other cities by great bridges, and it is surrounded by a beautiful bay....tough combo to beat if you ask me.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:20 PM

467 posts, read 1,484,261 times
Well I guess I'm prejudiced, but Delray Beach....nice downtown, plenty of
shops, restaurants, beautiful beach, Morikami Museum, not far from Palm Beach and the Kravis Center. Delray also has two small theater companies
they do fantastic plays during the year, a beautiful Tennis stadium home to
several big tennis matches throughout the year. Prices have come way down,
from condos to rental apartments to homes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida