Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,484,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
This... lol

Higher cost of living, less opportunity, more bad attitudes and angry people....

I think all the criminal and even the non-criminals are just leaving all together.

Both of these are actually valid reasons. There are also a lot of illegal immigrants that have left due to lack of work. In an area I know of, where lots of homeless people camp, you are now more likely to find citizens who have lost their jobs and homes, then illegals waiting for the next labor work van to pick them up to work. There is less construction, less landscaping work available for them. There are more laws requiring paperwork before hiring. Not that all illegals are criminals though, well, at least criminals when they get here, there is the whole being a criminal by virtue of showing up illegally thing.

Anyway, there is also concealed weapon law, which has the Castle law provision, where a criminal cannot now be as sure that the homeowner or car owner is not packing a gun with perfect rights to shoot. Since 2001 the general public has gotten more protective of their areas I think. With terrorist activity possible, now every abandoned car is reported, suspicious activity etc. We are now taught to call the authorities for things we would have otherwise ignored, and let them sort it out. It is now approved to "narc or snitch" if you like to put it that way. Reporting things is supported by the community, whereas before some people would have said that if you are not being harmed directly, its none of your business.

What is fascinating to me is that I see alot of people here looking for "safe" areas, there may be places that APPEAR safe, but how many crimes on tv happen in otherwise quiet communities? There really is no such thing. Crime is either blatant or behind closed doors, doesn't mean its not there. And low income areas DO NOT automatically translate to high crime. The question one should ask are the landlords in the low income area deadbeat landlords or do they screen tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,124,996 times
It's simply a result of tougher sentencing guidelines like "3 Strikes" and "10-20-life for crimes commited with a firearm". A lot of this legislation was passed in the late 90's and we are now reaping the rewards.

It was around this same time period that tougher sentences for crimes against the most vulnerable, i.e. seniors and children were amped up. Minimum Mandatories were put in place for drug crimes as well.

One only needs to visit the FL DOC website and peruse the inmates at max custody level prisons like FSP or Union C.I. and notice how in the late 80's early 90's their incarceration history was like Jake Elwood in "Blues Brothers" movie..I'm In ,I'm out, I'm in , I'm out. Now they're in, LWOP'ed or have release dates like 2037.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,506,607 times
FL led the nation in 2011 in having the most deaths of law enforcement officers, with the most recent one being a 24 yr old officer who was buried yesterday.

Tough guidelines? They're in and out right now. This is the land of turnstyle justice.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL led the nation in 2011 in having the most deaths of law enforcement officers, with the most recent one being a 24 yr old officer who was buried yesterday.

Tough guidelines? They're in and out right now. This is the land of turnstyle justice.
Per capita, which is the only way to look at statistics such as this, show a different story. Florida having a much larger population than many states is going to have more of many things.

Iowa, Oregon, Missouri, Georgia and others have a higher per capita deaths of LEO's.

Nationwide LEO gunfire deaths are up 7%, thankfully LEO auto related deaths are down 17% which I think may be somewhat related to the move over laws being actively advertised and prosecuted.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,106,051 times
The answer is very, very simple: the Boomers are outgrowing violent crime. It's not complicated or mysterious.

Last edited by Bideshi; 12-29-2011 at 05:10 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The answer is very, very simple: the Boomers are outgrowing violent crime. It's not complicated or mysterious.
I don't see it as being that simple. There are other factors such as increased tracking of offenders, tougher sentencing. Changing demographics will have some effect but it is certainly not the only factor.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:51 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,106,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I don't see it as being that simple. There are other factors such as increased tracking of offenders, tougher sentencing. Changing demographics will have some effect but it is certainly not the only factor.
Mike, you can directly track the dramatic increase of violent crime in the past to the Boomers coming of age, so it's not surprising that crime is decreasing as they age. They are by far the biggest single increase of population we have ever experienced in America.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Florida as a whole had 987 murders in 2010...

compared to...

New York 866
California 1,809
Texas 1,249

Florida looks to be one of the safest of the 4 largest states, atleast murder wise.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,676,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Florida as a whole had 987 murders in 2010...

compared to...

New York 866
California 1,809
Texas 1,249

Florida looks to be one of the safest of the 4 largest states, atleast murder wise.
It is per capita rates that count, not absolute numbers.

FL could have only five murders, which sounds great, unless I stated only seven people live in FL.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is per capita rates that count, not absolute numbers.

FL could have only five murders, which sounds great, unless I stated only seven people live in FL.
Okay...

Per capita...

Murders
Florida - 987
New York - 866
California - 1,809
Texas - 1,249

Population
Florida - 18,801,310
New York - 19,378,102
California - 37,253,956
Texas - 25,145,561

So...

The per capita in....

Florida is 5.2
New York is 4.4
California is 4.9
Texas is 5.0

So yeah, I guess per capita Florida is higher than all of the above but they still have less murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida