Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,607,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes but the unemployment rates are falling, hence the topic of the thread. Plus the crime rate is at a 40 year low which means it's also dropping, down to #6 nationally. Not bad for the nation's vacation destination state.
There is no statistical evidence that these so called job growth areas
have affected the unemployment rate in Florida. Also, being ranked #6 out of 50 states in crime is not much of an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 PM

31 posts, read 49,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
have affected the unemployment rate in Florida. Also, being ranked #6 out of 50 states in crime is not much of an improvement.
I think the article was referring to 2012- so it wouldn't affect current rates

Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,607,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL biz View Post
I think the article was referring to 2012- so it wouldn't affect current rates
The post that was being responded to had implied the unemployment rates were currently being affected by it. That was the point.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:01 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
It's not statistical, it's a survey and no one else has presented it otherwise. Furthermore #6 in crime rate is quite an improvement from #2 or #3. Just curious, where is you little piece of heaven? You seem to have it in for Florida and not in the first person kind of way..

Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not statistical, it's a survey and no one else has presented it otherwise. Furthermore #6 in crime rate is quite an improvement from #2 or #3. Just curious, where is you little piece of heaven? You seem to have it in for Florida and not in the first person kind of way..
Kyle, it's useless to argue with these types. I knew they would start showing up. For some reason, there are those who can't stand ANY kind of good news about this state. They just want to keep on finding reasons to justify their own misery.

Florida has always, throughout time, been through booms and busts. It is starting to recover again. Here in Sarasota/Manatee where I live things are looking pretty darn good.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,128,667 times
Good - Maybe I can get a new job in 2012 with better career prospects. Or better yet, now may be the time to get that business up and going.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM

729 posts, read 1,302,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great article. I'm sure the naysayers here will all pop in to discredit it, but Florida will definitely have the last laugh. These are strong markets that are getting better all the time, and they are NOT the "low-paying" service jobs that people here complain is all that exists here. I live in Manatee County, and almost daily, there is some new company locating or expanding here and adding good jobs. We used to live in Lakeland, and that is a VERY strong economy that while it took a hit for a couple years in the recession is coming back strong. I see great things for Florida.

ETA: Wow - NYC, NJ, Long Island - net hiring - ZERO!!!!!
Not surprising. As Gypsychic indicated, there's a lot a of growth in the Lakeland-Winter Haven area even with the sluggish economy the last few years. There are several major projects that have been completed, started or will commence shortly. A few are mentioned below:

Legoland Theme Park, Winter Haven (opened Fall 2011) - Addition of new Legoland water park (summer 2012)
The Landings, Winter Haven (2014 projected completion) - Mixed-use facility; Shopping Dining, Lodging, Water taxis to/from Legoland.
CSX ILC, Winter Haven - (starting 2012)
Gateway Commons, Lakeland - Mixed-use development across from Lakeland Square
University of South Florida Polytechnic campus, Lakeland

Lakeland-Linder Regional Airport - Began commercial flights

Highway 98 Widening Project (Lakeland to Bartow, 2011-2016)

Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I noticed that information about Lakeland, too. The article really highlighted the area. Quality of jobs is key and Lakeland looks like it will deliver. I wonder about Cape Coral-Fort Myers. They don't have a lot of good-paying jobs other than healthcare. My guess is this would be service-heavy jobs which is typical for the area but as Kyle pointed out (I think it was Kyle), temp services don't usually staff such places.

By the way, Cape-Coral-Fort Myers is tied with Lakeland-Winter Haven.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Not surprising. As Gypsychic indicated, there's a lot a of growth in the Lakeland-Winter Haven area even with the sluggish economy the last few years. There are several major projects that have been completed, started or will commence shortly. A few are mentioned below:

Legoland Theme Park, Winter Haven (opened Fall 2011) - Addition of new Legoland water park (summer 2012)
The Landings, Winter Haven (2014 projected completion) - Mixed-use facility; Shopping Dining, Lodging, Water taxis to/from Legoland.
CSX ILC, Winter Haven - (starting 2012)
Gateway Commons, Lakeland - Mixed-use development across from Lakeland Square
University of South Florida Polytechnic campus, Lakeland

Lakeland-Linder Regional Airport - Began commercial flights

Highway 98 Widening Project (Lakeland to Bartow, 2011-2016)
Thanks for posting all this. Polk county tends to get a bad rap on these forums, but I believe it will become one of the most booming areas of Florida over the next few years, particularly Lakeland-Winter Haven. I think I read a few years ago that Winter Haven population was expected to quadruple, due to CSX and other things that are happening there. I can't find the article now, but a few years ago when we lived in Lakeland I read that Polk County had more leased warehouse space than anywhere in the country except for LA! Huge distribution area.

Also, that new USF Polytechnic campus is going to be fantastic. It literally looks "out of this world." It's going to be a huge draw for the area. If I had money to invest, I would literally be buying around there right now. It's smack in the middle of the hi-tech corridor, too.

hiknapster - I am surprised about Ft. Myers-Cape Coral being so high on that list. I am not at all familiar with that area, what are the big industries there? Somehow I can't think they would be the same type of jobs to be found in Lakeland/Winter Haven.

Once again, I think a lot of people will be surprised at how well Florida is going to be doing, despite our current governor.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
15 years ago or so I remember it being printed that Lakeland will be center of a coming Orlando-Lakeland-Tampa metropolitation area. The hold up was transportation system between the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks for posting all this. Polk county tends to get a bad rap on these forums, but I believe it will become one of the most booming areas of Florida over the next few years, particularly Lakeland-Winter Haven. I think I read a few years ago that Winter Haven population was expected to quadruple, due to CSX and other things that are happening there. I can't find the article now, but a few years ago when we lived in Lakeland I read that Polk County had more leased warehouse space than anywhere in the country except for LA! Huge distribution area.

Also, that new USF Polytechnic campus is going to be fantastic. It literally looks "out of this world." It's going to be a huge draw for the area. If I had money to invest, I would literally be buying around there right now. It's smack in the middle of the hi-tech corridor, too.

hiknapster - I am surprised about Ft. Myers-Cape Coral being so high on that list. I am not at all familiar with that area, what are the big industries there? Somehow I can't think they would be the same type of jobs to be found in Lakeland/Winter Haven.

Once again, I think a lot of people will be surprised at how well Florida is going to be doing, despite our current governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida