Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
15 years ago or so I remember it being printed that Lakeland will be center of a coming Orlando-Lakeland-Tampa metropolitation area. The hold up was transportation system between the 3.
That would be interesting.
Tampa - Port and Beaches
Lakeland - Distribution, Manufacturing and Agriculture
Orlando - Tourism and Agriculture.

Seems to be that would be a very strong and diverse metro area. They better start building an alternative to I-4 STAT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
hiknapster - I am surprised about Ft. Myers-Cape Coral being so high on that list. I am not at all familiar with that area, what are the big industries there? Somehow I can't think they would be the same type of jobs to be found in Lakeland/Winter Haven.
There really isn't any industry. It's healthcare and services, relying on snowbirds and tourism. My guess is that is why there will be hiring in January. That is traditionally their biggest time of the year. "Season" - January through April - has been steadily coming back up after a huge crash. Right now the area is seeing home prices rise (biggest jump in the country), has the most house-hunting activity; it's showing up at the top of a lot of statistical lists.

At one point Lee County was ground zero for the housing crash, the first to implode, but it is also the first to recover. One reason for such a crash was the lack of industry. The astronomical prices were never sustainable. Lee County is back to being an affordable retirement enclave. My best guess is it tops this list because its unemployment rate was very high, somewhere near 14 percent for awhile, and it is now down to 10.7 with more hiring in sight. It's a great place to live for retirees or people that get transferred. I wouldn't want to move there without a job if I needed one, though. Lakeland, Tampa, Miami, Orlando are more suited for the younger in need of jobs.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
If Florida is going to boom, what is the reason? Did they discover oil or is gov't just making it easier for companies to do business here coupled with the weather lifestyle?Got me thinking, what brought so many people to Florida in the first place?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If Florida is going to boom, what is the reason? Did they discover oil or is gov't just making it easier for companies to do business here coupled with the weather lifestyle?Got me thinking, what brought so many people to Florida in the first place?
I think in part due to the housing crash. Prices have more or less bottomed out and that makes Florida an attractive place to look as residential housing wasn't the only victim of the bust. Construction costs have also come down as the construction trades have become very competitive in the bidding process due to a very long period with little or no work. As pointed out earlier Florida has always been a place with either boom or bust and not much in between, and will continue because of the weather to be a place where people want to move.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Guess it depends on which source you look at
2011 Best-Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros

Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,322 times
This is completely laughable. And Lakeland's airport is ridiculous. Tiny, way out in the middle of nowhere, useless. Love the flights to where? Hagerstown? Springfield, IL?, Myrtle Beach?

What a complete waste of money, I hope no public money was blown on this

Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,218,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm more inclined to believe this than a survey done by Manpower. Cape Coral #1 in the nation? Seriously?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This makes far more sense to me. It puts Cape Coral in the 200 spot, dead last, and Lakeland at 186. Both are down from the year before. Pensacola moved up to 73.

I looked a little further - these charts from the Milken Institute are my new favorites - and Cape Coral-Fort Myers was 2nd in 2005 and 1st in 2004. I left in 2005 seeing what so many couldn't see.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
This is completely laughable. And Lakeland's airport is ridiculous. Tiny, way out in the middle of nowhere, useless. Love the flights to where? Hagerstown? Springfield, IL?, Myrtle Beach?

Everyone has to start somewhere. A lot of airports were once out in the "Middle of nowhere" as you say and industry developed around it. I would hardly call an airport 4 miles SW of downtown that's surrounded by corporate and regional offices, distribution centers and neighborhoods "Middle of nowhere".

You also omitted destinations Plattsburgh NY, Niagra Falls NY and San Juan Puerto Rico. I'll let you look up how everything was financed.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

You should check out Lakeland airports annual "Sun and fun Fly In"
Its a major USA event, lots of planes,parties and interesting people. Sun n' Fun » Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida