Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oops, I did mean income tax.

FL is broke too and can't continue to slash budgets every year as something has got to give. Broke economies with broke constituents don't function well. Furthermore, providing social services doesn't equate to being a welfare state. Given the state's decreasing incomes in relation to cost of living and the lack of jobs paying over $10 an hour in this state, what do we suppose will happen to people should they be laid off/unable to find a job or suffer catastrophic illness while working (or not) without adequate health care coverage?
FL is not broke. Cutting the budget is a response to less revenue coming in. It would have been the same with an income tax as well (less income means less taxes).

FL is just a simple case of too many people and not enough work. There is always an equilibrium involved in the labor market. The labor supply has greatly exceeded the labor demand, and no amount of gov spending will correct that unless the gov starts employing people.

The Iron law of Wages could also apply.

I have no idea why there are people who constantly advocate for an income tax. The gov does not spend the money they receive correctly as it is, and many states with income taxes are suffering much worst than FL, even though they have lower unemployment rates than FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
New York is not just NYC. I say that as a Manhattan native. It actually makes me MAD that people always think that. I left NYC because you can't buy a HOUSE in Manhattan and I wanted space to raise a family. We didn't have to leave the state to do that, although we did look at Westchester and NJ. A lot of people who leave NYC either don't leave the state, or just move to another state within commuting distance. My daughter left NYC too, and moved 30 miles away!!!! My other daughter moved to Florida, and left after 4 months, and went back to NY. How many people leave Florida and go back to WHERE THEY CAME FROM???? Oh, working in Florida's schools, I have know many who moved back to where they came from. In Naples, that usually meant the MidWest somewhere.

Anyway NYS still has a far lower unemployment rate than Florida.
I lived in upstate for four years. People, especially younger folks, have been leaving for decades.
Pretty much why upstate and places like ND have lower ue rates. Nobody wants to live there

Flight of Young Adults Is Causing Alarm Upstate - New York Times

NY as a whole did lose population and two house seats because of that

Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Google FL and road safety and you will find accordig to the NTSB that FL is one of the worst states in regards to highway safety. Having more people come here isn't a good thing when the roads can't support the traffic.
Florida roads beat plenty of the infrastructure you'll see in the northeast as it is newer and doesn't suffer abuse from inclement weather. some of the roads in upstate NY, parts of pa and oh were simply awful pothole ridden messes when I traveled through those areas

Old 12-25-2011, 10:46 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Florida roads beat plenty of the infrastructure you'll see in the northeast as it is newer and doesn't suffer abuse from inclement weather. some of the roads in upstate NY, parts of pa and oh were simply awful pothole ridden messes when I traveled through those areas
No doubt the road conditions are better in Florida ... but if your car is disabled on or off the road in upstate NY, a dozen drivers will stop and offer assistance. In Florida, you can count on a dozen drivers flipping you the bird or cussing at you because you are holding them up.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:41 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
No doubt the road conditions are better in Florida ... but if your car is disabled on or off the road in upstate NY, a dozen drivers will stop and offer assistance. In Florida, you can count on a dozen drivers flipping you the bird or cussing at you because you are holding them up.
Maybe they just don't want to help YOU - I've been helped many times.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:52 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Surprisingly, I disagree wholeheartedly with Florida having an income tax. As another poster mentioned, wages are low enough here and it shouldn't be the employees of Florida's big businesses that bear the brunt of "fixing" this State. Actually, I don't think it should be the companies themselves either. I like how Florida is a best (and worst) of both worlds purple swing state. I like that we have lower taxes and less social hand holding. Education is my main concern though and this administration seems to have parted ways with the State's diet republicans of the past.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Not compared to the roads in western states they don't.

The FL roads are poorly designed. Who ever thought US 19 was a good idea...LOL.

As I said Google FL, the NTSB, and highway safety. The roads here don't suppport the population and no planning was done in regards to growth.

For example the Sun Coast Parkway was only built a few years ago, a good portion of it is only 2 lanes in each direction.

Who builds a new parkway with only 2 lanes in each direction?

Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
US 19 is a federal road, not a state road. What is wrong with the idea of having a north south road that cuts right through the country? It was there way before any interstates were thought of.
How do you feel it is poorly designed? It seems to work pretty well.

Have you ever been in a traffic jam on the Sun Coast Parkway anywhere from SR 52 to the end? What on earth would more lanes
be needed for?

Quote:
Not compared to the roads in western states they don't.

The FL roads are poorly designed. Who ever thought US 19 was a good idea...LOL.

As I said Google FL, the NTSB, and highway safety. The roads here don't suppport the population and no planning was done in regards to growth.

For example the Sun Coast Parkway was only built a few years ago, a good portion of it is only 2 lanes in each direction.

Who builds a new parkway with only 2 lanes in each direction?

Old 12-25-2011, 07:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
US 19 is a federal road, not a state road. What is wrong with the idea of having a north south road that cuts right through the country? It was there way before any interstates were thought of.
How do you feel it is poorly designed? It seems to work pretty well.

Have you ever been in a traffic jam on the Sun Coast Parkway anywhere from SR 52 to the end? What on earth would more lanes
be needed for?
US 19 is dangerous, you have people entering from all the strip malls out into 60mph traffic. There should be access roads with run parallel with the highway to get cars into the flow of traffic.

People also pulling out and then sitting in the middle waiting to get into trafffic, poorly designed road.

In regards to the Sun Coast, if you're going to build a parkway, you just don't build for current usuage, you build with future usage in mine.

So yes poor planning.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I guess some people have driving phobia.

Under the thinking you posted it seems that paralell parking should be banned since cars have to pull out into traffic in order to get out of the parking spot.

I don't think I've ever seen a car "sitting in the middle" waiting to get into traffic not here or anywhere else for that matter.

It will be a long long time before the Suncoast is going to need any expansion at least north of SR 52.

Quote:
US 19 is dangerous, you have people entering from all the strip malls out into 60mph traffic. There should be access roads with run parallel with the highway to get cars into the flow of traffic.

People also pulling out and then sitting in the middle waiting to get into trafffic, poorly designed road.

In regards to the Sun Coast, if you're going to build a parkway, you just don't build for current usuage, you build with future usage in mine.

So yes poor planning.

Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida