Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsgsr View Post
Atleast you have world class fishing, some of the nicest beaches, awsome weather during the winter, all types of Outdoors, tropical scenery ect.. While your miserable trying to stay a float....
I have a friend who moved here from London. Well at first his family was doing so bad they couldn't afford to feed themselves at times. I asked him how in the hell is that possible with all these canals around here and miles of beach? Just go fishing!

Quote:
For all the people who use to live in NJ/NY it's now same ish different toilet... Maybe worse then Florida..

"When lost income and sales taxes from the people who left New Jersey are considered, the population drain is estimated to have cost the state $680 million in tax revenue last year, the report found.

The latest poll found 28 percent of people wanting to leave citing America's highest property taxes as the leading reason; 19 percent mentioned the state's generally high cost-of-living, with 6 percent citing housing costs and 5 percent citing state taxes.

Other top reasons for wanting to leave New Jersey include the weather, environment, longing for a change of scenery, overdevelopment, congestion and government corruption.

Half of those wanting to leave want to move to the Southeast, with Florida and North Carolina the most popular choices, the poll found.

"Many say that the most pressing issues in New Jersey will not change unless the public takes a stand," Murray said. "Well, it appears that the public has decided to vote with their feet."
cracks me up when fellow northerners end up down here. After the 6mth honey moon ends, most of them that I have come across complain and end up leaving/wanting to leave.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM

75 posts, read 474,756 times
Yea we know... Florida sucks to most of you people... The northeast is the promise land..... You can make an extra 5k on your average salary... And the cost of living only doubles Florida..
Move to NJ and you'll have soo much more $$$$ and not be miserable like you are in Florida......

Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default Actually making MORE money here in Florida

Quote:
Yea we know... Florida sucks to most of you people... The northeast is the promise land..... You can make an extra 5k on your average salary... And the cost of living only doubles Florida..
Move to NJ and you'll have soo much more $$$$ and not be miserable like you are in Florida......
In my case, the good citizens of Florida are paying my salary. However, money cannot replace FAMILY, and yep, the 4 SEASONS. There is no way around either of those.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
In my case, the good citizens of Florida are paying my salary. However, money cannot replace FAMILY, and yep, the 4 SEASONS. There is no way around either of those.
I know you keep saying that but haven't you said your staying here for like 5 more years just because of money?
Isn't that actually why you are here in the first place, for money?

Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Pension

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I know you keep saying that but haven't you said your staying here for like 5 more years just because of money?
Isn't that actually why you are here in the first place, for money?
I get a pension after 6 years. My husband moved here for the job/money (no pension). I had a job in NY and had no trouble getting a job in either place. I turned down two jobs here in Florida in the first 2 months I was here. Different fields makes all the difference in the world. He's in IT (OLD technology outsourced mostly to India) which is practically non-existant anymore in the big cities in the NE. Apparently, Florida doesn't outsource as much. I am in Education/MRDD. My line of work hasn't been offshored (how could they?) and jobs exist all over the country.

Bottom line, the sole reason I came BACK to Florida was because of my husband. That is the only reason I came back here.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I get a pension after 6 years. My husband moved here for the job/money (no pension). I had a job in NY and had no trouble getting a job in either place. I turned down two jobs here in Florida in the first 2 months I was here. Different fields makes all the difference in the world. He's in IT (OLD technology outsourced mostly to India) which is practically non-existant anymore in the big cities in the NE. Apparently, Florida doesn't outsource as much. I am in Education/MRDD. My line of work hasn't been offshored (how could they?) and jobs exist all over the country.

Bottom line, the sole reason I came BACK to Florida was because of my husband. That is the only reason I came back here.
So it was for money? Just be honest, otherwise you would not be here. I guess there are more important things then family when you come right down to it.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
^^Please, you don't even know my family. My dad moved down to Florida because he had no choice to. He moved down because of our family so he could support us financially. My mom moved down to be with him.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Default MY choice (not talking about my husband)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
So it was for money? Just be honest, otherwise you would not be here. I guess there are more important things then family when you come right down to it.
was to stay in NY with my daughters or move to Florida to be with my husband. We were apart for 3 years. It was a horrible choice to have to make. I still question what might have been.

When he was out of work in NY, I was the one who found the job for him in Florida. I thought it was a joke at the time. I never thought he would pursue it. I never thought the company would ever call him in NY. There was another job in Pa. If I had never told him about Florida, we might be in Pa. today. I would rather be in Pa. any day over Florida. I could just kick myself.

As he just told his sister yesterday, "If a job had opened in North Dakota, I would be in North Dakota (Pa.?) today." "You don't want to retire to Florida." "Florida sucks." You see how he feels about Florida now? Having lived here before, I told him so. After 3 years of living here, he now agrees with me.

As I said, for 6 years I can and will put up with it here. That doesn't mean I have to like it, or try to "fit in" as so many people say. Other than my husband, there is nothing for me here.

I have received a couple of private emails from people saying they agree with me. However, they are probably too "afraid" to post their feelings on this board.

I shouldn't either anymore. It's pointless.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
Sorry you feel that way Hockeymom. I hope you folks get to move where you want to soon.

But while you are 'stuck' here, especially the next 6 months of cooler weather, none of these activities appeal to you?

Beach walks, shell collecting, tennis, golf, scuba diving, snorkeling, boating, swimming, walks in the park, sunsets over the gulf.

I guess since our family lives for these things I struggle to get that some people have no interest in any of them. Just curious, none of that appeals to you as a way to pass the time and get some enjoyment out of Florida until you can leave?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Default I lived on LI for 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
Sorry you feel that way Hockeymom. I hope you folks get to move where you want to soon.

But while you are 'stuck' here, especially the next 6 months of cooler weather, none of these activities appeal to you?

Beach walks, shell collecting, tennis, golf, scuba diving, snorkeling, boating, swimming, walks in the park, sunsets over the gulf.

I guess since our family lives for these things I struggle to get that some people have no interest in any of them. Just curious, none of that appeals to you as a way to pass the time and get some enjoyment out of Florida until you can leave?
In all that time I went to the beach maybe 3 times. We had our own pool. We closed it because none of us ever went in it. I don't play golf or go fishing. A palm tree is a palm tree is a palm tree. I actually LIKE 40s and 50s. It was 57 this morning and I loved actually wearing a jacket. Hated that it warmed up to 80 in the afternoon.

Sorry, there is nothing about warm weather or its activities I like. I am a Fall and Winter person. About the only thing I like about it here is the wild life. I like animals. That's it. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida