Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 PM

128 posts, read 455,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy997s View Post
this is actually a point most people miss when they decide to move to florida.

1. You will not become an overnight milllionaire renting beach chairs to tourists. (or owning a bar selling margaritas)
2. You will not go to the beach every weekend (because you went there everyday while on vacation has no correlation to real life!).
3. Florida is full of people with burnt out dreams and generally is a drop off point for the nation's losers (they couldn't make it in ohio so the zip code must have been the problem, so lets move to flariduh).
4. Florida is a sunny place for shady people!

Things they don't show in tourist guides:
1. Fl is full of poverty, for every bentley there is a homeless guy panhandling/sleeping on a park bench
2. Million dollar homes are frequently just over the bridge to a ghetto. Lauderdale has thousands of waterfront mansions yet 2 miles west of the water is the ghettos of broward blvd/ sistrunk blvd/ etc. You share your local stores/gas stations/movie theatres with the neighboring communities.
3. Flash is over the top. You will see bartenders spending every dime they make to drive a leased bmw, the keep up with the jones's theory is on steroids in florida! Crime is also influenced by flash, it is the supply and demand in many cases.
4. Lots of guns in the gunshine state. Assume everyone has a firearm (licensed and unlicensed). From the stockbroker type in the mercedes to the thug looking guy in the lowered 30 year old chevy to the woman in the lifted f150!
5. Drugs of all types (from prescription pills to hardcore stuff like cocaine/heroin). Spend a few days here and you will see the effects of a culture hooked on drugs. Surburbia has it the same issues as south beach though it maybe the soccer moms popping xanax to get through another day instead of strippers bumping lines to get through another shift. (google fl pill mills, pill-billies, fl drug rehab and you will get pages of info).

100k may buy you a nice home in the midwest but in florida is can buy you a 450 sq ft studio in a 50 year old building in south beach, a trailer home on an acre in central florida, a townhouse in suburbia or a single family home in a small town a hundred miles from any beach. Florida is many things to many people.
yep, this is true sorry to admit.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
Heeeeyyyyyy........ I'm a douche bag from the Northeast who will moving there in a few weeks........

Seriously, I think I can understand why you might feel that way. I've lived in the Northeast (Boston area) most of my life, and I've always felt that I just didn't belong there. Everyone is serious and uptight and focused on money and careers and success. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a slouch - but I think there's a lot more to life than trying to keep up with the Jones's.

I've visted many different areas of FL, and every time I stepped off the plane, I felt like I was coming home, so I figured it was about time to make it my home.

And I promise not to be a douche bag.
Be warned: Visiting here and living here TWO DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES

You might not be a douche bag now, but you will certainly meet plenty of them here in Florida which may turn you into a douche bag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
Everyone is serious and uptight and focused on money and careers and success. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a slouch - but I think there's a lot more to life than trying to keep up with the Jones's.
Plenty of that mentality going on in Florida---maybe more----Bigger Boat, Greener Grass, Cooler Toys, and so on...

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I thought I'd give you a heads up...

Don't say I never warned you or gave you anything

Last edited by tiluha; 03-25-2012 at 02:09 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool Florida View Post
you ARE PAYING FOR ALL THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS HERE. broward and dade is hit and run ground zero. this is why your insurance went up. blame all the immigrants for that ( cubans mostly ).
The whole 1 in 4 motorists being uninsured (and FL doing very little to stop them) thing really grinds my gears.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Plenty of that mentality going on in Florida---maybe more----Bigger Boat, Greener Grass, Cooler Toys, and so on...

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I thought I'd give you a heads up...

Don't say I never warned you or gave you anything
I totally agree with this. Plenty one-upping going on down here. Just drive through some of the nicer neighborhoods. It's on full display without even getting out of your car.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
I totally agree with this. Plenty one-upping going on down here. Just drive through some of the nicer neighborhoods. It's on full display without even getting out of your car.
This is not unique to FL.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
This is not unique to FL.
Nobody said it was, but thanks for sharing.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Nobody said it was, but thanks for sharing.
So the point to your post was?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So the point to your post was?
... That I was agreeing with tiluha's post.

Duh? Read much? Or are you just trolling?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM

128 posts, read 455,274 times

blazing saddles - the new sheriff - YouTube

Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
... That I was agreeing with tiluha's post.

Duh? Read much? Or are you just trolling?
That riding through nice neighborhoods and assuming people can't afford things because they are expensive means exactly what? For every person living above their means I can find another who is envious of those with more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida