Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM

442 posts, read 539,744 times

Advertisements

First of all, let me explain:
I've only been to the tourist parts of Florida
I go to the University of Kentucky (and we all HATE the Gators )

However, as a student of urban planning, GIS and hydrology, I must say that my stereotypical view of Florida is one of suburban sprawl, strip malls, a mix of rednecks, tourists, and young professionals. Traffic is terrible and rents are through the roof. Hurricanes come by every year and one must evacuate.

Now I'm sure most, if not all of that is wrong and doesn't apply to Florida. I think Florida, from what little I've seen of the panhandle and lower gulf coast is beautiful along the water, but I was also younger and a tourist... So just out of curiosity, could you help me be more informed about your state? I want to hear all of the good because I feel like I've always been too biased and never given the state a fair chance.

I mean this all in the nicest way possible and from reading your posts you seem like a good bunch! So yeah, let's hear about your lifestyles and habitats!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
It is as true as Kentucky being full of inbred renecks who think mowing the grass is for entertainment, double cheese on their cheesburger is something crazy to do on a Saturday night, all wear their local university's shirt but never attended the place, are fat, love the fake tans that turn them orange, and asks constantly "what church you go to?"

Did I cover everything?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM

442 posts, read 539,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is as true as Kentucky being full of inbred renecks who think mowing the grass is for entertainment, double cheese on their cheesburger is something crazy to do on a Saturday night, all wear their local university's shirt but never attended the place, are fat, love the fake tans that turn them orange, and asks constantly "what church you go to?"

Did I cover everything?
No... maybe I was wrong about this being a nice bunch. I won't judge the entire group over one *******, though.

I was asking someone to tell me what it was really like because I've never been, jeez

Love, the atheist, apartment (no yard) dwelling, regular going-out-to-the-bars-in-my-city-of-300k, actually-attending-UK, skinny, non-orange (that's a TN stereotype, silly ) whose parents can't be inbred because they're from two different continents poster who simply was trying to be more informed.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
"non-orange (that's a TN stereotype, silly )"

Really? Only people in TN put on that fake tan stuff that turns them orange? And have the reverse raccon look around their eyes?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM

31 posts, read 49,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post

However, as a student of urban planning, GIS and hydrology, I must say that my stereotypical view of Florida is one of suburban sprawl, strip malls, a mix of rednecks, tourists, and young professionals. Traffic is terrible and rents are through the roof. Hurricanes come by every year and one must evacuate.

Now I'm sure most, if not all of that is wrong and doesn't apply to Florida. I think Florida, from what little I've seen of the panhandle and lower gulf coast is beautiful along the water, but I was also younger and a tourist... So just out of curiosity, could you help me be more informed about your state? I want to hear all of the good because I feel like I've always been too biased and never given the state a fair chance.

I mean this all in the nicest way possible and from reading your posts you seem like a good bunch! So yeah, let's hear about your lifestyles and habitats!
Typical troll thread, just need to add something about humidity and it would be perfect!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Florida Description

Quote:

There is no one way to describe FL. Each section is sooo different. The FL panhandle is more like southern Alabama, Southeast FL is like Cuba, Central FL is mostly small towns (some redneck). The west coast of FL is a mix of midwest tourists and relo's. There are Cubans and rednecks (I hear) in Tampa, retired folks in St. Pete. Sarasota is nice and cultured, but most likely snobby. The beaches along the Southeast coast of FL are spectacular and South Beach is so much fun and lots to do. People watching galore. The panhandle has gorgeous white sand beaches. There are the college towns and the small coastal towns. If you are interested in moving to FL, you need to visit a number of times in each section. There is a treasure trove of info about FL on the City-Data/forum. Make use of it to find out all you need to know. Just remember that there is a lot of negative stuff on here, so take some of it with a grain of salt. We lived there during Hurricane Andrew--the worst one, but hurricanes do not come to each county every year. It varies. Florida is probably one of the most diverse in terms of types of locales and people of any state.

I was born and raised in KY and liked FL, warts and all, a whole lot more!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:59 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:

1. Florida is pretty bad for sprawl. As is most of the rest of the deep south. Not nearly as bad as Atlanta.

2. Redneck? No way. The panhandle and most parts North of, say Brooksville can be redneck, but most of the populated metro areas (Tampa/St. Pete, Orlando, Metro Miami and most Southwest and Southeast beach communities like Sarasota/Bradenton and Ft. Meyers) are not. The panhandle is redneck and bible belt like the rest of the deep south, from say, SR 50 south is not.

3. Hurricanes? No... 2004 and 2005 was a bad couple years for Hurricanes. Other than that, it's pretty rare that one actually HITS Florida. The panhandle tends to get them more than the rest of the state. I have lived in Tampa all but 8 years of my life, and I have only "had" to evacuate ONCE, that was for Hurricane Charley in 2004 and I didnt do it. It didnt actually hit us. The Tampa area has not had a Hurricane actually HIT us since the 1920's. You DO NOT have to worry about Hurricanes AT ALL, unless you live in the Panhandle. You also cannot be compelled (forced) to evacuate...

Florida is great, but unfortunately more douche bags from places in the Northeast keep moving here and ruining things.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
I was asking someone to tell me what it was really like because I've never been, jeez
Why don't you invest in a Florida vacation, then? It's absurd to think that you'll be able to "understand Florida" via an internet message board.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Florida is great, but unfortunately more douche bags from places in the Northeast keep moving here and ruining things.
You mean guys like Jeff Vinik ?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You mean guys like Jeff Vinik ?
That's one of the millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida