Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,929 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new on this forum. I am an American who has been living in Europe and have decided to move back to the States. I want to move to Florida because I detest the cold weather. I have a son who is 13 years old. Where is the best place for us in Florida to move to? Tampa area? Clearwater? .... any suggestions?

Where are good schools for my son?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM

107 posts, read 118,912 times
I know Florida quite well. Based on the information provided, very difficult to respond intelligently.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliozabeth View Post
Hello, I am new on this forum. I am an American who has been living in Europe and have decided to move back to the States. I want to move to Florida because I detest the cold weather. I have a son who is 13 years old. Where is the best place for us in Florida to move to? Tampa area? Clearwater? .... any suggestions?

It may be an unpopular answer, but look at Texas and Arizona too before making a decision on a state based on weather. I've known quite a few Floridians that have relocated to both places in the past couple years due to work and cost of living.

Good Luck regardless !

Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,591 times
Agreed, Texas and other southeast states tend to not get as cold as the northern US and many have lower unemployment rates, better schools, and less crime than Florida.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM

77 posts, read 138,399 times
Be careful about Arizona. Depends on what part you are looking at. Tucson forget it!!! I am moving out in March. I have been to just about every part of Tucson since moving here over 5 years ago and its getting bad!!!! Phoenix is not much better.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Based strictly on schools I'd recommend either Palm Harbor (Clearwater area) or Ponte Vedra ( just south of Jacksonville) as they're in the top three of four school districts in the state as well as within larger metro areas for work. I'd give an edge to the Jacksonville area in terms of lower unemployment rate and diversity of jobs.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliozabeth View Post

Check out Sarasota. Great schools here, beautiful beaches, and a very cosmopolitan city. Lots of European transplants here.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Schools are very important and should be a top priority.

With that being said I can tell you that my kids were honor students in Ohio and have excelled here as well as the teachers cling to them because of their work ethic, willingness to learn, attitude and knowing they want to excel in every subject.

Some schools get a bad wrap and what I have found is the kids and their parents here do not work together to ensure the kids chance of excelling.

Your kid can excel as long as their is parents involvement and a decent school.

Many here over the years have blamed the schools for their kids low grades and not learning and now we are here I am finding that parents are mostly the reason.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 AM

3 posts, read 45,255 times
#1 School district in Florida is St. Johns County (St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra). The lowest sales tax is in St. Johns County, too as well as the lowest incidence of hurricanes (among coastal communities) equating to lower insurance. St. Augustine is the nation's oldest city featuring tons of cultural activities and historic sites with a great art colony, too and minutes to Jacksonville for jobs, symphony, and sporting events. St. Johns County has lower property tax than Jacksonville (Duval County). Great lifestyle (PGA tour and ATP are headquartered here). The beaches are beautiful and uncrowded. Home prices tend to be better than southern Florida. Very friendly people! St. Augustine has been rated as a top retirement destination by Smart Money and Where to Retire Magazines and just rated as a top 15 Destination on the Rise by Trip Advisor. National Geographic just selected St. Augustine as one of the top 10 places in the world to view holiday lights. Come find out what all the excitement is about St. Augustine! Check out Move To Florida

Barbara Jenness, Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker
http://BarbaraJenness.com

Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
St. Augustine, St. Johns County; #1 Schools in the State!

Beautiful beaches, wonderful people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida