Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 AM

960 posts, read 1,688,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I cant believe what im hearing. You people think the same opportunities exist for this generation as the ones that came before. As a career machinist with several degrees (including a AAS in Computer networking, bachelors in business) I can assure you this is not the case. The "greatest generation" did a fine job of fighting WWII and when they came back to start the baby boom there were plenty of good paying jobs you could support a family on that didnt require degrees and experience. It was called a manufacturing based economy with strong unions and the American Dream was alive and well for anyone who wanted to work.

While I think our entrance into the world market was necessary and will eventually pay dividends for Americans the transition of our economy is being built on the backs of this generation. Kids arent lazy, ive worked in machine shops at a time not long ago when kids were hired and put on the forklift until a spot on a machine opened. They were every bit as industrious and hard working as old timers. The last shop I worked in shut down as most of the work went to Canada or Mexico and I went to school to get that AAS degree. Now I look up and the IT field is being over run with H1B visas from India and computer/network techs are a dime a dozen. Mexicans are crossing the borders illegally creating a labor glut that drives wages down and now they want to give foreign truckers free reign of our highways. A machinist in 1970 made more than I did when the shop I worked in closed five years ago

Dont sit here and try to tell me that kids are lazy and dont want to work, or that our generation (im 46 YO) is somehow more industrious. The original poster has a legitimate concern. This country has chosen an economic path that is leaving a generation or two in the lurch. We can only hope that the sacrifices they make today will pave the way for future generations.
You are completely 100% correct.

Anyone can look up the facts that support your claims. Responses by other posters are not based on anything other than their emotions or perceptions.

I think one of the posters is just having a problem with a Generation "X" due to their upbringing by someone in that particular generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:28 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
Quote:
I cant believe what im hearing. You people think the same opportunities exist for this generation as the ones that came before. As a career machinist with several degrees (including a AAS in Computer networking, bachelors in business) I can assure you this is not the case. The "greatest generation" did a fine job of fighting WWII and when they came back to start the baby boom there were plenty of good paying jobs you could support a family on that didnt require degrees and experience. It was called a manufacturing based economy with strong unions and the American Dream was alive and well for anyone who wanted to work.

While I think our entrance into the world market was necessary and will eventually pay dividends for Americans the transition of our economy is being built on the backs of this generation. Kids arent lazy, ive worked in machine shops at a time not long ago when kids were hired and put on the forklift until a spot on a machine opened. They were every bit as industrious and hard working as old timers. The last shop I worked in shut down as most of the work went to Canada or Mexico and I went to school to get that AAS degree. Now I look up and the IT field is being over run with H1B visas from India and computer/network techs are a dime a dozen. Mexicans are crossing the borders illegally creating a labor glut that drives wages down. A machinist in 1970 made more than I did when the shop I worked in closed five years ago

Dont sit here and try to tell me that kids are lazy and dont want to work, or that our generation (im 46 YO) is somehow more industrious. The original poster has a legitimate concern. This country has chosen an economic path that is leaving a generation or two in the lurch. We can only hope that the sacrifices they make today will pave the way for future generations.

The greatest generation was followed by some darn good generations of people, that hard working generations came to a halt with the generations starting with those born in the late 70's, 80's and 90's.

As someone mentioned above, its the group of generations who want something handled to them, they think they are worth more then they really are, they look at money as its sole life means and also stated above, you cannot get them to even show up for training on time.
This generation will do us all in some day, they will take down this country to far worse levels then we have ever seen.
Also agree with the above, YOU make choices in your life and no way would I ever stay in a place that makes ME miserable.

Lawncare, I can start a lawncare business on a hundred bucks...........
It's calll push mowers, a gallon of gas and willingness to work.

If your 20 living at home and have an associates degree then you should have some money for something. With little responsibilities you should be saving some money easily to be able to get out of the worlds worst place for an easy job.

All I hear from this generation of people is excuses. I get one of these to work under me for the summer every year ( college summer help ) and when I leave town for a few days and come back, I am lucky to find 1 thing on alist of 5 that are done. I know the generation, I have had them for many years and seen this coming. The last one I asked them to let them go early because I couldnt handle them coming to work at 1 min till, watching the clock for lunch hour, coming back at 30 sec till and wanting to leave 10 minutes before time to go home and NOT completed any task for the entire summer and not one time did they earn the money they were paid.

A college degree offers you a chance, that is it, as I posted before, it's you that has to offer that company something in return or you will be in line like the rest of the group whining about jobs.

Try getting a degree, working a job and raising kids at the same time, many do that and have done very well.

Living at home has given you a better chance then most everyone else, you should have already saved some money to get out of dodge. Even on 7.00 per hour and if you worked 60 hours per week it wouldnt take long to get enough to get out.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
This is my strongest point, the reward for work is not as good as it once was, and the obstacles to success are greater. My parents, born in 1930 had rough times as a kid during the depression, but entered the labor market about the time the War ended. My mother earned a degree in education and became a teacher, my father studied engineering but decided to become an aircraft mechanic instead, as engineering opportunities in Florida were limited. When my mother came down to Florida to teach at North Beach elementary, she did not know that she would be here to stay. My parents met on Miami Beach. were married and eventually left for the suburbs. They both have told me that while it was easy to find work, jobs payed less than other states. Yet back then only one had to work to afford a decent home. Troubles in the airline industry meant that dad was being laid off from time to time, so mom kept on teaching. When I was born my parents took turns taking care of me and eventually, when I was attending school dad was able to start a business. Imagine trying to start the same business today, with complicated regulations, insurance requirements, lawsuits, etc. Today if you do any work for someone without a license the Government arrests you. When I was driving through Cutler Ridge on my way home I remember being stopped and having an arguement because the Police wanted to search my car and sieze my tools because they wanted to get rid of unlicensed "contractors". Crazy because I ran a business developing software and was simply moving my tools from my parent's home to mine. This ended up as a lawsuit that I eventually won. With odds like this, who wants to bother doing service work?

People today are not lazier than their parents, they are just weary and unwilling to work for a wage that will not pay the bills. The Government is our biggest obstacle, and most successful people had to start out "under the table".

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

People today are not lazier than their parents, they are just weary and unwilling to work for a wage that will not pay the bills. The Government is our biggest obstacle, and most successful people had to start out "under the table".
I think people starting out today have inflated expectations of both what they should make and what they should be able to afford to buy (bills).

When you start out, times are tight. You can't always have the latest and greates car, house, toys, boats, tv's, etc. You do without.

People aren't entitled to everything all at once. In fact, they aren't entitled to anything.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Quote:
...You people think the same opportunities exist for this generation as the ones that came before.
That's correct.

Quote:
As a career machinist with several degrees (including a AAS in Computer networking, bachelors in business) I can assure you this is not the case. The "greatest generation" did a fine job of fighting WWII and when they came back to start the baby boom there were plenty of good paying jobs you could support a family on that didnt require degrees and experience. It was called a manufacturing based economy with strong unions and the American Dream was alive and well for anyone who wanted to work.
Many factors, including unions that swung the pendulum too far, corporate short-sightedness and government tax policies are responsible for the death of industry in this nation. However, there are still plenty of ways to make good money -- they're just different.

Quote:
Kids arent lazy, ive worked in machine shops at a time not long ago when kids were hired and put on the forklift until a spot on a machine opened. They were every bit as industrious and hard working as old timers.
I agree and acknowledged that; plenty of kids are making it in Florida and elsewhere. It was one negative poster who has no personal experience in the job market and some poor attitudes who posted a wholly negative picture of the Florida job market.

Quote:
The last shop I worked in shut down as most of the work went to Canada or Mexico and I went to school to get that AAS degree. Now I look up and the IT field is being over run with H1B visas from India and computer/network techs are a dime a dozen. Mexicans are crossing the borders illegally creating a labor glut that drives wages down and now they want to give foreign truckers free reign of our highways. A machinist in 1970 made more than I did when the shop I worked in closed five years ago.
A lot of different claims in that paragraph. The work left the country because it was too expensive in this country. If a machinist truly earned more in 1970 than today, that might well have been the cause of the work being too expensive. The same thing is true of the IT field. And, if you truly believe that illegal Mexicans are finding work in anything but the agriculture or construction fields, you are misled. The so-called "NAFTA Highway" will not give truckers "free reign", if it is ever authorized.

I think you're guilty of the same things as the original poster -- over statement, over generalization and a tendency to blame your problems on others.

Quote:
Dont sit here and try to tell me that kids are lazy and dont want to work, or that our generation (im 46 YO) is somehow more industrious.
No one has done that; what has been stated is that the negative whiners are most likely lazy and don't want to work. The rest of them are out there gettin' it done.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Everyone has some great points but I really think one poster could benefit greatly from the intelligence in this board.

Chrome, why don't you ever ask a question to some of these people, there is enough intelligence on this board to help you get out of SW Fla if you want to, but you never ask what would you do and how would you do it?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 AM

18 posts, read 104,663 times
My views are based on what I saw every three montths at the Fire Fcademy. I shared this view one day with an instructor from another state, and he was seeing the same thing I was. Used to be when "kids" went to the Fire Academy they were laborers; carpenters, concrete guys, etc. They were in run down trucks, but they did have work ethics. They were already hard workers. Now I see 19 year old kids coming into the academy driving up in $40,000 dollar pick-ups, that their daddy / mommy bought for them. They work in the mall, cell phone store, etc. They have soft hands. Most CANNOT work in the sun for more than 30 minutes without crying for a break. MOST of the kids these days are expecting alot for little imput. MOST of these kids HAVE NO work ethics. My views are based on what I have seen. NOT perception.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
Mexicans finding work in ANY feild drives down wages across all fields (big picture). The ole pull youself up by your bootstraps line, nice touch.

I dont have any problems, I live in an economically depressed part of Michigan and things are tight at the moment but ive got assets and the wife will be graduating summa *** this fall with a Bachelors in Accounting so we will be moving.

Im not blaming anyone because im quite content and happy. To say that the pendulum swung to far for all unions is a sweepiong generalization of your own.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettheroof View Post
My views are based on what I saw every three montths at the Fire Fcademy. I shared this view one day with an instructor from another state, and he was seeing the same thing I was. Used to be when "kids" went to the Fire Academy they were laborers; carpenters, concrete guys, etc. They were in run down trucks, but they did have work ethics. They were already hard workers. Now I see 19 year old kids coming into the academy driving up in $40,000 dollar pick-ups, that their daddy / mommy bought for them. They work in the mall, cell phone store, etc. They have soft hands. Most CANNOT work in the sun for more than 30 minutes without crying for a break. MOST of the kids these days are expecting alot for little imput. MOST of these kids HAVE NO work ethics. My views are based on what I have seen. NOT perception.
I have seen it firsthand myself and can agree with you easily.
They want pay handed to them for no return and expect the top of the line everything.
DW calls it the tag generation. If it don't have a name brand tag they wont wear it!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:23 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
Kids are the same today as they were 10,100,1000 years ago

Maybe its you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida