Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM

17 posts, read 68,035 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to Haines City because we found an affordable house there and it is within commuting distance to work. I am from the country and don't mind the out of city setting, actually I prefer it. Unfortunately, I have heard negative things about crimes and gangs there - is it worse than Orlando? I thought moving into the country there would be LESS crime...I want to walk down the sidewalk with my 3 yr old and not feel like I am going to get mugged, threatened or offered cocaine. Are there any residents from Haines City on here that can tell me what its like? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,277 times
Haines City doesn't have as much crime as Orlando. I've heard a few things here and there about gang and drug-related crimes, but I don't know if it's just overreaction or what. I doubt you or your three year-old will be mugged, threatened, or offered cocaine.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuljoon View Post
My family and I are considering relocating to Haines City because we found an affordable house there and it is within commuting distance to work. I am from the country and don't mind the out of city setting, actually I prefer it. Unfortunately, I have heard negative things about crimes and gangs there - is it worse than Orlando? I thought moving into the country there would be LESS crime...I want to walk down the sidewalk with my 3 yr old and not feel like I am going to get mugged, threatened or offered cocaine. Are there any residents from Haines City on here that can tell me what its like? Thank you!
What area of Haines City will you be moving to? I'm not from HC but grew up in the county. Haines City is quiet like most other Polk County municipalities.

There's no crime in Haines City/Polk County that compares to Orlando/Orange County.
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...-Profiles.aspx

Old 08-01-2010, 08:35 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
I live within a short drive of Haines City and pass through often. It's just big enough to have most anything a household would shop for but small enough not to be anywhere near a concrete jungle. From what I've read about crime in the area the people involved know each other and it is a dispute not random.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 AM

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't know for sure. If it's anything like Lake Alfred (the next town over), you really don't have anything to worry about.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:58 AM

17 posts, read 68,035 times
Thank you all for your input! I appreciate you taking the time to answer and it sounds like we will probably do fine there. Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,628,787 times
some of the schools aren't that great. Choose carefully. I lived there many years in the 1960s and early '70's. It has changed a lot. It was always a country town but I liked it back then. I wasn't originally from there and my mother thought it was very backward.....LOL. Very much a citrus and cattle town but not now.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 17,979 times
Does anyone know about the area around Calabayparc/tower lake..??????? we will be renting there this winter and have not been to that area before.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,349 times
You might want to stay in Orlando.. Haines City is a rundown town.I have been here for years and there would be NO reason to go downtown.. There is nothing there.. Safe not a chance !!!!!

I wish I could say something nice about the town but I can't .. Try Winter Haven or Lakeland..

Good Luck

Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstweety36 View Post
Safe not a chance !!!!
Downtown Haines City isn't dangerous at all. Like you said, there's nothing there. They tore it all down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida