Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times

Advertisements

Oh jesus, another one of those "why dont you do it like we did in new york" people... move back the **** up north please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
When I relocated to FL and registered my auto in 2011, I was asked for the record what my political affiliation is. “Non-partisan” I said. This is the way I’ve always voted, and declare Rep. or Dem. On primary day.

When I went to the County “early voting” location to vote in the Rep. primary, I was told that I could not vote, that Non Partisans are not allowed to vote in primaries in FL, and, that FL is the only state that operates this way. If that is the FL law, voters need to be told at the time of vehicle registration that they will be “allowed” by FL to vote only once every 4 years in the general election.

I am appaled at this violation of civil rights; I want to vote for the candidate, regardless of party, who I consider the best choice for me.

Translation: OP did not feel the need to bother him/her self to learn the voting rules of our state. And now has to live with the consequences of his/her decision.

And for the record. Florida is NOT the only state that operates this way. The way we do it is called a "closed primary", here is a rundown of who does what:

• Alabama - Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (10 Days - Jan 26).
  • Alaska - Caucuses (Feb 5). Deadline (30 Days - Jan 6).
  • Arizona - Closed PPE (Feb 5). Deadline (30 Days - Jan 6).
  • Arkansas - Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (30 Days - Jan 6).
  • California - Semi-Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (15 Days - Jan 22).
  • Colorado - Caucuses (Feb 5). Deadline (29 Days - Jan 7). (For Democrats, the deadline to register is Feb 5)
  • Connecticut - Closed Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (12 Noon, Feb 4).
  • Delaware - Closed Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (24 Days - Jan 12).
  • District of Columbia - Primary (Feb 12). Deadline (30 Days - Jan 13)
  • Florida - Closed Primary (Jan 29). Deadline (29 Days - Jan 1).
  • Georgia - Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (Jan 7).
  • Hawaii - Open Caucuses (Mar 2). Deadline (30 Days - Feb 1).
  • Idaho - Open Primary (May 27). Deadline (May 2 for pre registration. Registration allowed on Election Day).
  • Illinois - Semi-Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (27 Days - Jan 9).
  • Indiana - Open Primary (May 6). Deadline (28 Days - Apr 9).
  • Iowa - Caucus (Jan 3). Deadline (10 days - Dec 24, 2007).
  • Kansas - Caucuses (Feb 9). Deadline (15 Days - Jan 25).
  • Kentucky - Closed Primary (May 20). Deadline for new registrations (28 Days - Apr 22). Deadline for party switch (Dec 31, 2007)
  • Louisiana - Caucus (Feb 9). Deadline (Jan 11).
  • Maine - Caucuses (February 1 through February 3). Deadline (None - Day of Election though check the rules regarding this caucus).
  • Maryland - Closed Primary (Feb 12). Deadline (21 Days - Jan 22).
  • Massachusetts - Semi-Closed Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (1 Day - Jan 16).
  • Michigan - Open Primary (Jan 15). Deadline (30 Days - Jan 6).
  • Minnesota - Open Caucuses (Feb 5 *). Deadline (20 Days - Jan 16).
  • Mississippi - Open Primary (Mar 11). Deadline (30 Days - Feb 10).
  • Missouri - Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (4th Wednesday Prior - Jan 9).
  • Montana - Open Primary (Jun 3). Deadline (30 Days - May 4).
  • Nebraska - Primary (May 13 *). Deadline (Second Friday before an election, May 2).
  • Nevada - Caucuses (Jan 19). Deadline (30 Days - Dec 20, 2007).
  • New Hampshire - Semi-Open Primary (Jan 8). Deadline (10 Days - Dec 28, 2007).[11]
  • New Jersey - Primary (Feb 5). Deadline for new registrations (21 Days - Jan 15, 2008). Deadline for party switch (50 days - Dec 17, 2007). Unaffiliated voters can declare on the day of primary.
  • New Mexico - Republican Primary (Jun 3). Deadline (28 Days - May 6) Democrat closed caucus Feb 5, 2008 (deadline January 4).
  • New York - Closed Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (25 Days - Jan 11).
  • North Carolina - Semi-Open Primary (May 6 *). Deadline (30 Days - Apr 6). Early voting starts April 17
  • North Dakota - Open Caucuses (Feb 5). Deadline (No registration. Must have residency for 30 days - Jan 6).
  • Ohio - Semi-Open Primary (Mar 4). Deadline (30 Days - Feb 3).
  • Oklahoma - Closed Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (24 Days - Jan 12).
  • Oregon - Closed Primary (May 20). Deadline (21 Days - Apr 29).
  • Pennsylvania - Closed Primary (Apr 22). Deadline (30 Days - Mar 23).
  • Rhode Island - Primary (Mar 4). Deadline (30 Days - Feb 3).
  • South Carolina - Open Primary (Jan 19 for Republicans, Jan 26 for Democrats). Deadline (30 days - Dec 20, 2007 for Republicans and Dec 25, 2007 for Democrats).
  • South Dakota - Closed Primary (Jun 3). Deadline (15 Days - May 19).
  • Tennessee - Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (30 Days - Jan 6).
  • Texas - Semi-Open Primary (Mar 4) & Closed Caucus (begins Mar 4, schedule based on party rules). Voting in primary is prerequisite for caucusing at precinct convention, which convenes after primary polls close. Deadline (Feb 4, 2008).
  • Utah - Closed Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (30 Days - Jan 6).
  • Vermont - Open Primary (Mar 4). Deadline (Feb 27, 2008).
  • Virginia - Open Primary (Feb 12). Deadline (29 Days - Jan 14).
  • Washington - Open Caucus (Feb 9) & Primary (Feb 19). This is a two step process. Deadline (30 Days via mail or online, 15 Days in Person Friday, Jan 25).
  • West Virginia -Closed Primary (18 Delegates at the State Convention on Feb 5 (ask the state party for details), 12 Delegates for the May 13 Primary).
    • Deadline (21 days to register or change your party to Republican - Apr 22 for the Primary).
  • Wisconsin - Open Primary (Feb 19). Deadline (The day before or the day of at your polling precinct).
  • Wyoming - Caucus (Mar 8).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
This has NOTHING TO DO WITH CIVL RIGHTS this is Florida law and you should have looked it up and changed it. Anyway voting in a party primary which has nothing to do with either the US or Florida constitution. It's a political party.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:27 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
When I relocated to FL and registered my auto in 2011, I was asked for the record what my political affiliation is. “Non-partisan” I said. This is the way I’ve always voted, and declare Rep. or Dem. On primary day.

When I went to the County “early voting” location to vote in the Rep. primary, I was told that I could not vote, that Non Partisans are not allowed to vote in primaries in FL, and, that FL is the only state that operates this way. If that is the FL law, voters need to be told at the time of vehicle registration that they will be “allowed” by FL to vote only once every 4 years in the general election.

I am appaled at this violation of civil rights; I want to vote for the candidate, regardless of party, who I consider the best choice for me.
Florida is not the only state that works this way and in fact most states work this way.
It is not a violation of civil rights, you did not affiliate with a particular party then you don't get to choose that parties candidate.

You should have done more research rather than blame someone at the DMV for not explaining election law to you. If things are important to you, research them. I would not expect the person registering my car to know anything except things to do with my car reg., lic. etc.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,439 times
Just fill out the form to switch party affiliations. I originally registered NPA here like you, but when I found out that meant I couldn't vote in primary elections, I changed my party on my voter card. It's not a big deal.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
here is a rundown of who does what:Alabama - Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (10 Days - Jan 26).
  • Colorado - Caucuses (Feb 5). Deadline (29 Days - Jan 7). (For Democrats, the deadline to register is Feb 5)
  • Idaho - Open Primary (May 27). Deadline (May 2 for pre registration. Registration allowed on Election Day).
  • Kentucky - Closed Primary (May 20). Deadline for new registrations (28 Days - Apr 22). Deadline for party switch (Dec 31, 2007)
  • Maine - Caucuses (February 1 through February 3). Deadline (None - Day of Election though check the rules regarding this caucus).
  • Nebraska - Primary (May 13 *). Deadline (Second Friday before an election, May 2).
  • New Hampshire - Semi-Open Primary (Jan 8). Deadline (10 Days - Dec 28, 2007).[11]
  • New Jersey - Primary (Feb 5). Deadline for new registrations (21 Days - Jan 15, 2008). Deadline for party switch (50 days - Dec 17, 2007). Unaffiliated voters can declare on the day of primary.
  • New Mexico - Republican Primary (Jun 3). Deadline (28 Days - May 6) Democrat closed caucus Feb 5, 2008 (deadline January 4).
  • North Carolina - Semi-Open Primary (May 6 *). Deadline (30 Days - Apr 6). Early voting starts April 17
  • North Dakota - Open Caucuses (Feb 5). Deadline (No registration. Must have residency for 30 days - Jan 6).
  • South Carolina - Open Primary (Jan 19 for Republicans, Jan 26 for Democrats). Deadline (30 days - Dec 20, 2007 for Republicans and Dec 25, 2007 for Democrats).
  • Texas - Semi-Open Primary (Mar 4) & Closed Caucus (begins Mar 4, schedule based on party rules). Voting in primary is prerequisite for caucusing at precinct convention, which convenes after primary polls close. Deadline (Feb 4, 2008).
  • Washington - Open Caucus (Feb 9) & Primary (Feb 19). This is a two step process. Deadline (30 Days via mail or online, 15 Days in Person Friday, Jan 25).
  • West Virginia -Closed Primary (18 Delegates at the State Convention on Feb 5 (ask the state party for details), 12 Delegates for the May 13 Primary).
    • Deadline (21 days to register or change your party to Republican - Apr 22 for the Primary).
  • Wisconsin - Open Primary (Feb 19). Deadline (The day before or the day of at your polling precinct).
Thanks, but these aren't quite up to date. I don't know the rules in most states, but of those I know, . . .
California has moved its primary back to June. The "semi-open" means open primary except for President.
Washington has eliminated the primary to save money. The caucusing will begin in March. It's open in that to participate you just sign something saying you won't also participate in any other party's caucus.

-Just in case some Californian or Washingtonian reads this and gets confused.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:50 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Thanks, but these aren't quite up to date. I don't know the rules in most states, but of those I know, . . .
California has moved its primary back to June. The "semi-open" means open primary except for President.
Washington has eliminated the primary to save money. The caucusing will begin in March. It's open in that to participate you just sign something saying you won't also participate in any other party's caucus.

-Just in case some Californian or Washingtonian reads this and gets confused.
I got that off of Wikipedia a couple days ago, I assume it's fairly accurate. My point was to refute the idiot's statement that "Florida is the only state that does it this way"...

Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I was an Independent from the time I was 21 (legal voting age then) until I was 56, in NY. In all that time I had never voted in a Primary, and had also never voted for a Republican. It finally hit me. What am I doing this for? The better choice for ME would be to register with that Party so I could at least pick who I wanted as a candidate.

As other people have posted, it is RARE among the states to have Open Primaries. Register with a Party if it is that important to you.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM

150 posts, read 577,237 times
No matter what the media wants you to believe, It’s already a two-man race.
Of the 2,286 total Republican delegates, 1,144 are needed to win nomination. In five (5) States: Virginia, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee and Illinois, Gingrich and Santorum are not even on the ballot. That’s 564 delegates that they cannot get. After South Carolina, only 59 delegates have been allocated to the 4 candidates. Mitt Romney has 39 of those. This means Santorum or Gingrich has to pick up 1,144 delegates from the remaining 1,683. Let’s say that Paul only picks up 20% of the total number of delegates–I happen to believe he will do much better–but let’s pick 20%. That’s 457 delegates for Paul. Add that to the 564 that Newt and Santorum won’t have a shot at and now there are 1,021 delegates that Santorum and Gingrich have no chance of getting. Subtract that 1,021 from the total 2,286 and you’re left with 1,265 delegates. That means that Gingrich and Santorum, one or the other, have to pick up over 90% of the available delegates to get the nomination. So, essentially, we’re down to Paul and Romney. A vote for Gingrich and Santorum is a wasted vote! A vote for Paul is not a wasted vote and may well mean that the next President of the United States will be a man that, for the last 30 years, has never broken a promise, compromised his principles or waffled his position on an issue. A man that still believes that the Constitution of the United States is THE law of the land and that the protection of our individual liberties is the primary reason for the Federal government.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Default New York doesn't have an Open Primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Oh jesus, another one of those "why dont you do it like we did in new york" people... move back the **** up north please...

Translation: OP did not feel the need to bother him/her self to learn the voting rules of our state. And now has to live with the consequences of his/her decision.

And for the record. Florida is NOT the only state that operates this way. The way we do it is called a "closed primary", here is a rundown of who does what:

• Alabama - Open Primary (Feb 5). Deadline (10 Days - Jan 26).
and hasn't since I first voted in NYS in 1969. Give it a rest. The MAJORITY of states don't have Open Primaries.

She should just join a Party, as I did in NEW YORK, if she wants her voice heard. Give it a rest. New York and Florida are on the same page with this one.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM

181 posts, read 291,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It's not a violation of your civil rights, get a grip. Republicans vote in the Republican primary, Democrats vote in the Democratic primary, and we non-affiliated vote in the main election, regardless of party, for whoever we think is best, after the parties figure out who they want to nominate. Which is, after all, the whole purpose of a primary election. The real problem is that you just assumed it would work the same way it worked where ever you are from, instead of researching how it works here. It is no great secret that Florida's primaries are only for party members.

..and i wish every state operated like Florida.

How are Rs and Ds supposed to get the candidates they want if people with opposing interests can jump in and screw things up at will?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida