Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 PM

78 posts, read 122,717 times

Advertisements

Congrats!! I'm truly happy for you!!

I agree with you on property taxes, we pay $7000 for an old house that we bought for $230,000! Property taxes in FL are nothing compared to what it is here for much newer and bigger houses!

Also, there is no state taxes in FL so YAY!

The food and sports are definitely better in Chicago but that's what visiting is for!

I can't wait until I move there again! Nothing in Chicago is worth the horrible weather most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,080 times
Voice of experience. 100k is nothing. I am an old man now. I wish someone had told me this when I was young. Do not quit your day job. put as much as you can in retirement funds, even to point of sacrificing some things. Work until full retirement age, or even after that for a while if you can. Buy huge life insurance policy now while you are young. Your wife will outlive you. Start your kids college funds. Be generous with that one. Then when its all said and done, you can move wherever you want with a LOT of money.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
How did it work out for you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitflier View Post
Already planning. We are moving Memorial Day weekend. I plan to still work in Chicago until either my wife or I land a job in FL. She will be in FL to try to increase her chances of finding a job. Though the market is tough, she's a Military veteran fresh off a tour in Afghanistan and has a Bachelors Degree. I'm confident she'll find something she likes but until then, we are making sure that the income continues to flow in with my job.

And yes, FL (though some things are more expensive - homeowners insurance, car insurance) has a much lower cost of living than IL right now. IL property taxes in/around Chicago are out of control and they won't be going down. For a $200k home in the burbs, we would pay $8-12k in property tax alone! I love Chicago (Sports, FOOD!, Walkability, etc.) but even with all of that, I can't fathom the $1,000/month for property tax!!!!!!

Can't wait to move!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida