Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

If you're moving out of FL... I just want to vent a little bit...

I now live in NC, and I meet ppl all the time that moved up here from FL. I hear this all the time, "We moved away from FL to raise our kids in NC because it's safer/better/whatever." Ok, that's great, I applaud you for that if it is true.

But, I'm a little tired of hearing what I'm hearing from people that moved up here from FL when they say things like, "We moved away from Melbourne to keep up here to Asheville because crime was bad in Melbourne." HELLO?!? Crime? You do realize that crime is HIGHER in Asheville than Melbourne, don't you? Or I hear this one a lot too... "We moved out of FL because the schools are terrible." HELLO?!? Do you realize that many of the schools around here in NC are rated worse than where you came from in FL?

Is it the beauty or the fad of living in the mountains that people are overlooking other things? I'm not knocking Asheville, it's a cool little town with it's own unique vibe. I may live here forever, we may move back to FL, time will tell. I just get tired of hearing the same crap over and over again, and a lot of it's not even accurate.

I keep my mouth shut of course when someone says these things to me. But inside, I know a lot of it is inaccurate. Guys if you live in Lake Mary and you move to Asheville to find better schools, you messed up. If you left Oviedo to come here for a safer community to raise kids, it's not going to happen. If you left Orlando and moved to Charlotte to escape gangs, you messed up.

NC is beautiful, I'm not knocking it. But it's not perfect either. I just had to vent, partially because I miss FL and hear all these misconceptions a lot, and partially because if you do your homework and research, you'll see that moving to Asheville (or wherever) may not be as good as what you left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Well no place ever stays the same anyway. Most people move away from here because of all the Hispanics.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,751 times
We sold a lot of houses to folks moving from Florida to North Georgia. We call them quarterbacks, because they are moving a quarter of the way back home(back to snowbird country).

Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

I now live in NC, and I meet ppl all the time that moved up here from FL. I hear this all the time, "We moved away from FL to raise our kids in NC because it's safer/better/whatever." Ok, that's great, I applaud you for that if it is true.

But, I'm a little tired of hearing what I'm hearing from people that moved up here from FL when they say things like, "We moved away from Melbourne to keep up here to Asheville because crime was bad in Melbourne." HELLO?!? Crime? You do realize that crime is HIGHER in Asheville than Melbourne, don't you? Or I hear this one a lot too... "We moved out of FL because the schools are terrible." HELLO?!? Do you realize that many of the schools around here in NC are rated worse than where you came from in FL?

Is it the beauty or the fad of living in the mountains that people are overlooking other things? I'm not knocking Asheville, it's a cool little town with it's own unique vibe. I may live here forever, we may move back to FL, time will tell. I just get tired of hearing the same crap over and over again, and a lot of it's not even accurate.

I keep my mouth shut of course when someone says these things to me. But inside, I know a lot of it is inaccurate. Guys if you live in Lake Mary and you move to Asheville to find better schools, you messed up. If you left Oviedo to come here for a safer community to raise kids, it's not going to happen. If you left Orlando and moved to Charlotte to escape gangs, you messed up.

NC is beautiful, I'm not knocking it. But it's not perfect either. I just had to vent, partially because I miss FL and hear all these misconceptions a lot, and partially because if you do your homework and research, you'll see that moving to Asheville (or wherever) may not be as good as what you left behind.
It's the old "grass is greener" syndrome. People get a fantasy that some place else is better that where they are leaving and find out after a time things weren't better after all, and sometimes they are worse. That's what we deal with here on the Florida forum, people who came here thinking all will be better. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. And those who leave here for other pastures; well the forum is full of those who return here (sometimes multiple times)

Asheville used to top all those "best places" lists for this and that, but it doesn't anymore. We, too, like NC but we like Florida more. Anyway, I guess some people just need to find out for themselves, regardless of how much research they do.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,315 times
Keep in mind that people will make a lot of self-rationalizations (even if factually incorrect) to reassure themselves that their choice was the right one or their future choice is going to be the correct one. I'm sure there's a psychological term for it. It's not specific to Florida transplants/explants (would that be the word?), in fact it seems to be the same just about everywhere across the CD forums. People move away from home because there's nothing for young people and no jobs, but then 7 years later they've moved back because the big city is unsafe and it's important to raise their kids near family, just choosing the evidence that suits their view at a particular time.

If they need to make up stuff to reinforce their decision that's on them and generally no amount of evidence is going to convince them otherwise.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
Com, I had a feeling that you were going to miss FL. (I did after living in North GA for 4 years). The bare winters are hard to get used to (even though NGA is very mild compared to most of the US).

I do miss the spring and fall up there though, and the LOW cost of living in GA. FL is much more expensive for electricity and auto insurance. Our homeowner's is about the same, but that's rare. Property taxes were lower in our county in GA and IMO, you get a lot up there in terms of parks, county operated sports teams, and kiddie splash zones/ aquatic facilities. Here, you have to pay to go to the water parks, or have your own pool.

Gangs are everywhere in the USA. Most towns in the SE certainly have them. Our previous are of NE GA was infested. (big surprise that we somehow didn't find during our research phase)

We might move over to Seminole County, or we might move away from FL again for good. Right now, it's all about jobs and making sure we can pay the bills while we figure out what do do next. The areas of Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Lake Brantley, and maybe even Sorrento are on my list.

Home prices are on the rise again here. My area of South Lake County has seen prices increase 10% from this time last year. Inventory is getting tight (O-town has 5 months; 6 month supply is a healthy market, so it's turning into a seller's market for the right areas!)

Good luck on whatever you decide. PS- It's 81 here today and humid. Yesterday was not as humid and felt great!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
I was one of those who left cause you know it sucked here, the crime it's hot blah blah. Moved to mountains oh GLORIOUS mountains and GLORIOUS snow and leave changes !!!! 11 months later I realized the views didn't pay the bills, the people didn't like outsiders being such a small town and those same mountains sucked up my gas and didn't allow me to get out of town in the winter. A 30 min drive in wonderfuL winter turned into an hour and a half between road closures, ice, steep slopes etc. So let em leave and enjoy all that and a bag of chips. I ALMOST didn't learn my lesson the first time and considered moving back, then my mommy brain rebooted when I saw horrible winter scenes on the weather channel and I've been laughing t those poor fools ever since.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
The only reason I would go to NC would be because I know I could buy a decent house on some land for a good price and be able to commute to my work in a reasonable time. Here in Miami, unless I hit the lotto, I can forget about a decent house on some land that is within a reasonable commute from my work.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
We sold a lot of houses to folks moving from Florida to North Georgia. We call them quarterbacks, because they are moving a quarter of the way back home(back to snowbird country).
I always heard that they were called halfbacks. Frankly, it is halfway. I'm just happy to say that I get to live in both Florida and North Carolina.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

Having lived in both kinds of areas i believe either your cut out to live that kind of lifestyle or your not. I think it's a lot harder to live the lifestyle in a mountainous type area espically with changing seasons. It takes a little effort. I never really met anyone when i lived in Florida that really wanted to exert that much energy. Thats usually why they moved there to begin with. It's a whole different lifestyle. I moved back to N.H. 8 months ago and feel like i've been a new lease on life. Maybe its time to move back to Orlando. You havent sounded happy up in those mountains for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida