Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Yeesh, sorry about that! To be close is one thing but that seems like too much!

I'd try Tampa over Orlando. In Tampa you at least have St. Pete, and Sarasota close by. I know you're not crazy about driving, but it will at least be an improvement over where you are now, provided you can't get to Miami.
St Pete isn't in Tampa, they're two separate cities with near equal populations. St Pete has a more viable/active downtown than Tampa's. To the OP, Orlando by the way is no where near St Pete in terms of downtown activity or population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM

20 posts, read 31,969 times
Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to explore some more and try to find an area I like.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
the areas in Miami that most people can afford are like living in a 3rd world country. downtown st pete is very sketchy, hit and miss with lots of vagrants, homeless, etc. look in south tampa in SoHo, Hyde Park area. Lots of bars, restaurants, boutiques, etc in walkable area. or go back to NY. ny-ers either love it or hate it down here, usually not much middle ground

Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Looking for NYC in Florida? Come on man. This is FLORIDA. It is different from NYC. You're not gonna find it.

Try Chicago, San Francisco, or Toronto if you want to stay on this continent. Or here's a thought, since you love New York City so much, MOVE THERE.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Like the previous posters have written, there's nothing comparable to NYC in Florida. Most downtowns roll up the sidewalks at 5 since they're all office buildings and the businesses catering to them.

Downtown Sarasota and Tampa-Hyde Park/SOHO are probably the closest to what you want, but be prepared to pay $$$. There's no middle ground. It's high-dollar condos and re-models or the slums.

Gainesville might be an option. UF is there, so there are plenty of bookstores, restaurants and coffee shops, but again, the campus is so large and spread out, downtown isn't much.

I'm guessing it's 3 hours from Homosassa, but the majority of "Palm Coast" is populated by former New Yorkers. ITT, the company that developed PC, marketed to the boroughs of NY back in the 60s. Plently of rentals and if you're buying, you can get some real deals. Flagler County is #1 in the state in forclosures.

Not what you're looking for location-wise or "city-vibe," by any means, but the Brooklyn, LI, & Queens transplants seem to love it there! At least you'd be neighbors with people from home.

P.S. Several dog parks in Palm Coast (dogs are allowed on the beach in most areas) and I'm sure Gainesville has a few.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ssg II; 02-16-2012 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Good thread! When I lived in FL back in the 80's, I thought there was too much NY influence (human) in Florida for my tastes. I will come back to this thread on a regular basis when I start thinking about retirement locations, so I can eliminate some areas.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
I'd go a different route for you and say go to Gainesville as close to UF as possible. Brickell is nothing like NYC aside from big buildings. Nobody walks Brickell and there's really no shops in that part of Miami either.

The closest thing to Brooklyn is going to be Wynwood in Miami although nobody really lives there, South Point at the very south end of South Beach, North Miami Beach, and UF all for somewhat different reasons. These are your best options though. I'd go with UF because its the closest to Homosassa.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'd go a different route for you and say go to Gainesville as close to UF as possible. Brickell is nothing like NYC aside from big buildings. Nobody walks Brickell and there's really no shops in that part of Miami either.

The closest thing to Brooklyn is going to be Wynwood in Miami although nobody really lives there, South Point at the very south end of South Beach, North Miami Beach, and UF all for somewhat different reasons. These are your best options though. I'd go with UF because its the closest to Homosassa.
Huh? People are out at all hours walking in Brickell.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 AM

20 posts, read 31,969 times
I went to Orlando last weekend. I didn't really enjoy it much. The lake was nice, but nothing else. It looks nice, but it's not really my type of area. It was mostly bars and night clubs. I'm more of a cafe and bookstore type of person.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to keep exploring.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissTheCity View Post
I went to Orlando last weekend. I didn't really enjoy it much. The lake was nice, but nothing else. It looks nice, but it's not really my type of area. It was mostly bars and night clubs. I'm more of a cafe and bookstore type of person.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to keep exploring.
If you haven't made it to downtown St. Pete or downtown Sarasota, you need to. These will be more your type place I think, even though they are small in scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida