Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 PM

20 posts, read 31,969 times

Advertisements

I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I moved to Homosassa a little over a year ago, but I miss the city and I'm miserable here. I've checked out some of Tampa and St. Petersburgh, but nothing seems to come close to NYC. I miss being able to get around on foot and having tons of things around me.

I'd love to live in an area similar to Manhattan, if possible. I'd need to have a dog park near by so that my 2 dogs can get exercise. I would also have to be within 3 hours of Homosassa, because my wife's family is in this area, so I'll be making frequent trips here.

Can anyone recommend an area for me? I appreciate any advice you guys can offer. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times
Try Brickell in Miami.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:19 PM

Miami in general seems pretty nice, but it's about a 5.5 hour drive, which is a lot considering that we'd probably be visiting my wife's family every weekend.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:21 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times
I'd say that is your closest bet to anything Manhattan more urban, upscale, professional. You won't be disappointed

Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
St Pete would in my opinion be your only option and even then it aint no Manhattan, but most of it has sidewalks and the main streets have a bus once in a while and there are parks scattered about.
Take a drive down and check out some neighborhoods.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
St Pete would in my opinion be your only option and even then it aint no Manhattan, but most of it has sidewalks and the main streets have a bus once in a while and there are parks scattered about.
Take a drive down and check out some neighborhoods.
I agree ^^^ Downtown St Pete is a great choice in terms of a livable urban downtown. Outside of Miami it's the only city in the state that has anywhere near that feel.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
I grew up in Flatbush and lived in Sheepshead Bay prior to relocating to FL. The environment you are living in is the furthest thing from Brooklyn I can think of.

I agree with the group, St. Pete would be a better choice. Sarasota perhaps. Still nothing like Brooklyn (thankfully) but much more urban
than Homosassa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissTheCity View Post
I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I moved to Homosassa a little over a year ago, but I miss the city and I'm miserable here. I've checked out some of Tampa and St. Petersburgh, but nothing seems to come close to NYC. I miss being able to get around on foot and having tons of things around me.

I'd love to live in an area similar to Manhattan, if possible. I'd need to have a dog park near by so that my 2 dogs can get exercise. I would also have to be within 3 hours of Homosassa, because my wife's family is in this area, so I'll be making frequent trips here.

Can anyone recommend an area for me? I appreciate any advice you guys can offer. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I agree with everyone here - you aren't going to find Manhattan in Florida.

I also agree that St. Pete or Sarasota will be the only places that will give you a MINIATURE feel of the city. Meaning the downtowns are walkable with lots of unique shops/cafes and sidewalk seating, and have everything you need for entertainment. If these don't fill the bill for you, then I'm afraid you are out of luck. Check them out.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM

I'd be willing to move to Miami if there were a train or bus that could get me to Citrus or Hernando county. I wouldn't mind the long trip as much if I didn't have to drive.

Can you guys recommend some streets I should check out in St. Pete? I took a walk down Central Ave (because it looked busy on Google Maps) about 2 weeks ago, but it was mostly art galleries.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Although far from Manhattan I'll put out Orlando is good emerging urban center. There are plenty of parks such as Lake Eola that are used by many many local residents. The occupancy rate for downtown apartments and condos are very high which puts alot of residents in the city core. There are small shops and restaurants everywhere. Our nightlife is centered in downtown Orlando, at which time, downtown Orlando does resemble NYC because there are just people everywhere. Alot of entertainment downtown, fairs and festivals all the time and a Publix supermarket, three 7-11's and multiple restaurants all within walking distance. In the next two years the Sunrail commuter will be completed. It will two stops in downtown that can take you all the way out to Deland/Volusia County in the North and south to Poinciana/Osceola county (almost Disney). They will also be expanding the Lymmo free bus service that circulates throughout downtown. Overall it's no Manhattan, but what is???...but I think Orlando is developing a great urban environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida