Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I still have me Alaska Plate on the front of my Van. Why should you care what I have on my car as long as it is not illegal? I dislike Jesus fish, car wraps, stickers showing the family plus their pets, NY Yankee Bumper Stickers, antenna balls, political bumper stickers and more. But it's their right to have it on their car. It's THEIR car... why should I care and get all in a tussey about it?
Those stickers really annoy me. Also, the monster trucks with a memorial to "daddy" or "momma".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
It's not really about having an Alaska plate, or a family bumper stick, of the Jesus fish, or the tribute to stickers... To me, it's the folks from certain areas that feel the need to let everyone else know where they came from. And most people know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
The front plate on my pick up is a BROOKLYN novelty plate. Looks like the original, but obviously not
real. It's a matter of "remembering where you came from". My rear widow carries a Never Forgot 9/11 decal as well.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

137 posts, read 407,834 times
There was a statute that specifically prohibited displaying an out of state tag on a Florida vehicle. There were a few reasons for it. First, the out of state tag belongs to the state where the car was last registered. The tags should have been turned in when the vehicle was registered down here. Second, it can lead to misidentification in the event the vehicle was stolen or used in a crime, as Dublin mentioned earlier. Having said that, I am almost certain that the law was repealed by the Legislature a couple of years ago. It wasn't a law that was usually enforced so I don't remember the statute number, but I couldn't find it in this year's law book.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM

I don't see how it could lead to mis identification, but help identification. A description could read "Red, 4 door Ford Fiesta, front plate is NJ ABC-123, witness did not get the back plate number but noticed it was a Florida plate" Just as well as it could be "front plate says Joe & Terry on the front".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
There was a statute that specifically prohibited displaying an out of state tag on a Florida vehicle. There were a few reasons for it. First, the out of state tag belongs to the state where the car was last registered. The tags should have been turned in when the vehicle was registered down here. Second, it can lead to misidentification in the event the vehicle was stolen or used in a crime, as Dublin mentioned earlier. Having said that, I am almost certain that the law was repealed by the Legislature a couple of years ago. It wasn't a law that was usually enforced so I don't remember the statute number, but I couldn't find it in this year's law book.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM

137 posts, read 407,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I don't see how it could lead to mis identification, but help identification. A description could read "Red, 4 door Ford Fiesta, front plate is NJ ABC-123, witness did not get the back plate number but noticed it was a Florida plate" Just as well as it could be "front plate says Joe & Terry on the front".
That's because you have never tried to get information from a victim of a crime. Close to 90% of people can't remember their tag number that is assigned to the vehicle. And often times they forget to give the police important identifying information, like red door on a blue truck, or broken headlight. When law enforcement puts out the information, they will put it out as a stolen make, model, year with Florida tag ABC123 and when other officers pass the car and see a NY tag they may just keep on driving. The novelty tags are much easier to ignore, especially at night because they usually aren't reflective like the state issued tags.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Good pints. Yes, my front is non reflective and I know the ones you get done at the mall or where ever arent either. I still don't think it is illegal in FL to have the expired out of state plates, but I am waiting for the FHP to reply by email on this one. I'd like to know myself.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
"The plate is there to ID the car. No one cares if you're from NY.

You're in FL now, all you should have is a FL plate.

If you feel the need to advertise what state you came from then get an I Love NY bumper sticker."

^^^ THIS. I dont know why some folks from other states feel the need to constantly remind everyone in FL where they are originally from. Asheville is as diverse as most parts of FL, but people here don't feel the need to remind everyone of where they are from originally like they seem to do in FL, and I can appreciate that.
Exactly, one of the biggest complaints you hear from FL natives is people having to advertise where they're from.

And the bottom line you have a license plate on your car for identification purposes, not to tell other motorists who don't care what state you came from.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I still have me Alaska Plate on the front of my Van. Why should you care what I have on my car as long as it is not illegal? I dislike Jesus fish, car wraps, stickers showing the family plus their pets, NY Yankee Bumper Stickers, antenna balls, political bumper stickers and more. But it's their right to have it on their car. It's THEIR car... why should I care and get all in a tussey about it?
It's for identification purposes. It's not the same as bumper stickers.

Your car can only be registered in one state at a time. The only plate/plates you should have on your car are the current ones.

I'm sure if someone hit your car in a parking lot and took off and a witness got the plate number from the front and it turned out to be an expired tag from MA and the trail went dead you would care.

To use your logic, then let them drive with no insurance, bald tires, and bad brakes....it's their car. Let them do whatever they want.

If it's so important to let people know you're from Alaska get an Alaska Native bumpersticker.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:07 AM

What if there was NO front plate at all. How does one being in place make a difference in FL is beyond me. In the real world the front plate does not exist in FL.

I am sure an expired plate could be tracked to the previous registrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's for identification purposes. It's not the same as bumper stickers.

Your car can only be registered in one state at a time. The only plate/plates you should have on your car are the current ones.

I'm sure if someone hit your car in a parking lot and took off and a witness got the plate number from the front and it turned out to be an expired tag from MA and the trail went dead you would care.

To use your logic, then let them drive with no insurance, bald tires, and bad brakes....it's their car. Let them do whatever they want.

If it's so important to let people know you're from Alaska get an Alaska Native bumpersticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida