Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM

378 posts, read 829,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Orlando, in fact, does have a number of nice areas to live, whether some magaizine puts it into their "Top 10" list or not. Some areas of Orlando are probably some of the best places to live in all of central FL IMO
What I'm saying is that even the worst places on the list like Miami have sections that would rate much higher if you were able to look at the stats for that area seperately from the whole metro area. Almost without exception those areas are not affordable to most people with the possible exception of vacation.

The "list" makers don't just pull places out of a hat. They do surveys of their readers and find out how important jobs, schools, crime etc. are then ranks areas based on facts on how well they match up, best to worst.

Money Mag puts out 2 lists a year, Best Places & Best Places to retire. There are different places on the list in the same year because retirees aren't as concerned about jobs or schools as a young couple with 2 kids for instance. Crime as a concern always rates high regardless of who answers the surveys. "Dying ain't no way to live"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
The article named West Palm Beach (city) as the 4th worst in the nation, not Wellington or Royal Palm Beach. Most metro areas have cities and areas that have a higher quality of life and nearby and nearby areas you don't want to live. That's exactly why these lists and facts/stats found on the "factual" side of City-data is so useful. The best and worse places lists are helpful because the magazines have looked at all the up to date data and make a list to help people narrow their search down
Wrong. Forbes looked at METROPOLITAN West Palm Beach. The actual CITY of West Palm Beach is a mere 100k people.

Quote: Though not as gloomy as Miami, Detroit or Flint, Mich., metropolitan West Palm Beach is uncomfortably near the top of Forbes magazine's annual list of American's most miserable cities.

Citing corruption and a crippling housing crisis, Forbes editors placed West Palm Beach fourth on its survey. Rounding out the top 10 are Sacramento, Calif., Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Toledo, Ohio, Rockford, Ill., and Warren, Mich.

Last year's most miserable city, Stockton, Calif., ranks No. 11 on the 2012 list.

West Palm Beach was noted for the political scandal involving Boynton Beach mayor Jose Rodriguez, who was suspended by governor Rick Scott last month following his arrest on charges that he used his position to try to kill an abuse investigation into his treatment of his estranged wife and her daughter.

Forbes also noted that home prices in the West Palm Beach metropolitan area are off 50 percent since 2006.

In other words, corruption scandals plaguing suburban West Palm Beach towns (such as Boynton Beach) helped bring the ranking to "miserable." That, and for some reason the fact that housing prices are "down." Housing prices being DOWN since 2006 allowed me to buy a house that was listed for twice as much in 2006. Also allowed many young families I work with to purchase homes and start families in homes that would have been out of reach for them in 2006.

If that's "miserable," then so be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker
Think lists don't matter?
Cape Coral named #2 best place to retire in the nation by Money Magazine
Best Places to Retire 2011 - Money Magazine on CNNMoney.com
Then, Cape Coral has the fastest home price appreciation in the nation
Home Values: 5 Best Markets | Bankrate.com

Cape Coral is good for the newly wed and almost dead. You couldn't pay me to live there. You and your lists can have it.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,980 times
Exclamation WPB or Broward neighbor hoods and good school k-5

Locating back to south Florida from Chicago and need help finding a family area for kids and good schools in WPB County or Broward. Can anybody suggest good neighbor hoods and schools? We speak English and are Caucasian.

Lived in Key West for many years before relocating to Chicago. We are not moving back to the keys way too much on the tourist wild side. Hard to walk down Duval street after sunset and not have crazy drunks. Our kids also play sports and would be too much traveling to play competitive sports in the keys.

I grew up in North Palm Beach and know the area. When looking in Palm Beach Gardens / Jupiter the rental market is tough you don’t get much bang for the buck. Prefer a 4 bedroom 2 bath around $2,400/3,000…. Looking to rent for a few years until we can figure out where we want to buy. Don’t want to be more than 30 min from beach and more than 5 hours from Key west.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wrong. Forbes looked at METROPOLITAN West Palm Beach. The actual CITY of West Palm Beach is a mere 100k people.

Quote: Though not as gloomy as Miami, Detroit or Flint, Mich., metropolitan West Palm Beach is uncomfortably near the top of Forbes magazine's annual list of American's most miserable cities.

Citing corruption and a crippling housing crisis, Forbes editors placed West Palm Beach fourth on its survey. Rounding out the top 10 are Sacramento, Calif., Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Toledo, Ohio, Rockford, Ill., and Warren, Mich.

Last year's most miserable city, Stockton, Calif., ranks No. 11 on the 2012 list.

West Palm Beach was noted for the political scandal involving Boynton Beach mayor Jose Rodriguez, who was suspended by governor Rick Scott last month following his arrest on charges that he used his position to try to kill an abuse investigation into his treatment of his estranged wife and her daughter.

Forbes also noted that home prices in the West Palm Beach metropolitan area are off 50 percent since 2006.

In other words, corruption scandals plaguing suburban West Palm Beach towns (such as Boynton Beach) helped bring the ranking to "miserable." That, and for some reason the fact that housing prices are "down." Housing prices being DOWN since 2006 allowed me to buy a house that was listed for twice as much in 2006. Also allowed many young families I work with to purchase homes and start families in homes that would have been out of reach for them in 2006.

If that's "miserable," then so be it!

Cape Coral is good for the newly wed and almost dead. You couldn't pay me to live there. You and your lists can have it.
Those sunglasses must be a deep shade of rose.
Steep home prices a benefit? Did you forget worst crime, unemployment, etc.
Having the steepest home price declines make a place miserable because
1) That area has more people who owe twice as much on their home than it's worth. They are trapped, foreclosure is the only way out for most.
2) More vacant deteriorating foreclosures bring down the values of surrounding homes and lower the quality of life.
3) It's on the worst list because unemployment, crime, other factors are worst than anywhere else in the US.
4) Because of the credit crisis, the reality is very few regular buyers are able to take advantage because qualifying for a mortgage is much tougher now. It's mostly investors that are buying the foreclosures. The people who own homes are underwater can't sell and most that don't own can't qualify.

Like it or not the list's are helpful for narrowing a search, and they are based on facts and statistics.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Those sunglasses must be a deep shade of rose.
Steep home prices a benefit? Did you forget worst crime, unemployment, etc.
Learn to read.

Steep home prices are not a benefit. Price DECLINES are considered a negative in the survey... but in reality, for new buyers, they are a boon. The prices were ridiculous. The correction was much needed.

Crime? Whatever. I don't live in the ghetto, don't use or buy drugs, or place myself in situations where I am likely to be a crime victim. West Palm Beach crime is down 50% over the past 10 years. If crime was a concern NOW, why was it not a concern back then, when it was making all the good lists?

Quote:
Having the steepest home price declines make a place miserable because
1) That area has more people who owe twice as much on their home than it's worth. They are trapped, foreclosure is the only way out for most.
Oh well. How does that affect the rest of us who didn't buy during the housing boom?

Quote:
2) More vacant deteriorating foreclosures bring down the values of surrounding homes and lower the quality of life.
Depends on the area. The good areas do not experience this phenomena. In the better areas, foreclosed homes are snapped up quickly.

Quote:
3) It's on the worst list because unemployment, crime, other factors are worst than anywhere else in the US.
West Palm Beach metro is not "worst than anywhere else in the US" for EITHER crime OR unemployment. Easily demonstrable. In fact, many cities in the West Palm Beach metro are well below national average for crime. Even the urban areas of WPB rank well below many popular cities in the US.

Are you making things up as you go along?

Quote:
4) Because of the credit crisis, the reality is very few regular buyers are able to take advantage because qualifying for a mortgage is much tougher now. It's mostly investors that are buying the foreclosures. The people who own homes are underwater can't sell and most that don't own can't qualify.
This is a West Palm Beach metro problem? Lack of qualified buyers is a problem everywhere.

Quote:
Like it or not the list's are helpful for narrowing a search, and they are based on facts and statistics.
Again: Anyone who uses a "this years top ___ list" will be disappointed 10 years later when things change.

Look at the historic value of an area. The amenities. The long term trends. Not "what's going on in an area hard hit by the real estate bubble."

It's a fool's game otherwise.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 AM

TRImt7, I get it. You love living in what Forbes magazine calls the 3rd worst place in the US, and you say "you couldn't pay me" to live in Fort Myers where Money magazine just named the #2 best place to retire in the US (homes prices have risen higher there than anywhere else in the state in the last year)

The bottom line is the best and worst places lists will help most people who are actively looking to move, but they are of no use to you & that's OK. Hey, if you don't mind the worst I hear Costa has some great cruise deals right now.

Last edited by alfbroker; 02-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
TRImt7, I get it. You love living in what Forbes magazine calls the 3rd worst place in the US, and you say "you couldn't pay me" to live in Fort Myers where Money magazine just named the #2 best place to retire in the US (homes prices have risen higher there than anywhere else in the state in the last year)

And this just proves that "best places" lists are good for nothing. They are not to be taken seriously. They are curiosities. Talking points at dinner parties. Why is it so hard for you to understand?

Fact: Fort Myers is pretty much on par with West Palm Beach in terms of crime rates. Lee County also has a higher unemployment rate than Palm Beach County. Home prices in Lee County are off SIXTY PERCENT since the high in 2006, which is actually a few percentage points more than what was experienced in Palm Beach County.

Forbes used the fact that you can get a cheap home in Fort Myers/Cape Coral as its criteria for being a "best place to retire," but those are the same real estate crash factors that you point to being in play as a "negative" in PBC. But that's EXACTLY THE SAME as what makes Cape Coral a "best place to retire!": Cheaper homes, brought about by the real estate crash. Makes a goldmine for new buyers, but sorrow for anyone who was unlucky enough to buy during the boom.

Also, comparatively, Lee County has less access to amenities, less world class shopping, less fine restaurants, less nightlife, less cultural venues, less major company presence, less entertainment venues, and lacks access to three major international airports like Southeast Florida enjoys.

If all you want to do is sit in your cookie cutter ranch style home in a gated subdivision, I'm sure Cape Coral lovely place to "retire."

Keep it.

So yes, I WILL ignore Forbes. We'll see where Fort Myers lands next year. Imagine the poor souls who move to Ft. Myers this year, seeking "the best place" to retire this year, only to find their place off the list in one-two years' time!

Quote:
The bottom line is the best and worst places lists will help most people who are actively looking to move, but they are of no use to you & that's OK. Hey, if you don't mind the worst I hear Costa has some great cruise deals right now.

Look, I know you've got SW Florida real estate and books on Florida to sell, but try peddling your BS "analysis" on people who are buying it because they lack critical thinking skills of their own!

People don't move from place to place, making sure they always live in "the best" places! People tend to own homes, not RVs.

Last edited by TriMT7; 02-28-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM

Saying you know I have SW Florida real estate to sell is just another example of making statements without regard for facts, as well as personal and negative.

Cape Coral was named #2 best place to retire by Money Mag and has the best price increase in Florida in the last year. But you believe the lists are ridiculous and are for those that lack "critical thinking skills". Isn't it amazing how all those who supposedly lack critical thinking skills can afford to move to that area and buy homes during the worst economy since the depression?

Good thing people don't live in RV's or West Palm Beach the 3rd worst place to live in the US according to Forbes Magazine might be a ghost town. Have a nice day T.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Cedar Key is the worst place to live in Florida, if you ask me. Not only is there nothing to do there, no beaches, no fast food joints, no major markets, you have to drive an hour to the nearest McDonalds or Walmart, but the old houses are in terrible shape and terribly expensive, and the property taxes are outrageous. My partner was looking there for an income investment, but when we started looking around for a home as well, we ran from both in terror. You can't make a living there. Places go out of business all the time. One business burned and looked like it was going to fall into the water. I spoke to locals, and they said that people buy houses and pour a fortune into fixing them up and it can take months, years, to get them completed. Hauling in materials is expensive. The island has been flooded many times. It has its good parts, like maybe one or two, but overall Cedar Key is nasty. I'm surprised it doesn't fall into the Gulf. Most people have never heard of Cedar Key, and that's a good thing. I think there is even a haunted hotel there....

Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,300,507 times
We had a recent poll here of our members and MIAMI WON.

MIAMI won the title of what town would NOT WANT TO LIVE IN?

Miami won the poll by a large margin.

Thread got closed because of some haters but that ended the poll and thus MIAMI WON the title of the town most members here would not want to ever live in.

Best place. Gulf side towns of course.

Worst place. Poll winner was Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida