Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:07 PM

403 posts, read 1,581,259 times

Advertisements

For the those of you that are planning on leaving Florida because of high taxed, would you stay in Florida if the government lowered property taxes, like they are planning on doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 05:21 PM

172 posts, read 857,384 times
nope. low taxes arent gona raise wages

Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,185 times
Default Hell No

Even with lowering taxes, which today said a whooping $174 for the average homeowner, I forsee danger ahead, if they lower taxes and cut back on government monies........say everyone pays $1,000 in taxes, and remember the government is not getting much in $$$$........there's going to be a shortfall somewhere, there either going to cut services, police,fire, etc. or I see an income tax or huge sales tax, a coming. I think that Fl. is heading for a disaster and I don't want to be here at all.

As they said in an old TV show, DANGER, DANGER AHEAD WILL ROBINSON.

I'm outta here.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,217,507 times
relax. they will work it out. ppl will still move here. i know some places seem unaffordable, i probably couldnt afford to live in many places in south fla. but central and northern fla are still in many areas.

wherever you go, it is getting more and more expensive there too (in many places, i realize not all). also, wages throughout the southeast are no better.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
No, they will not work it out.

At least that's what it looked like in the Legislature yesterday. I think the chances are good that the effort will blow up soon.

I was there yesterday, and it does not look like they have the votes -- too many legislators are unwilling to bankrupt their constituents' local governments.

And even if they did, you will be having the same debate five years from now anyway. Taxes are going to keep going up, and there is nothing realistically that can be done about it.

I agree with another poster above - wages are the real problem. If they kept apace of taxes, we might not be having this debate.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,168,132 times
Not knowing for sure what your traits are, are you in the right place with the right skill? I do encounter many individuals during the interview process that wants a job because of the BEACH... The beach don't pay your bills, evaluate and maybe another town or city will work. If the area or state don't support your needs relocate. I will do the same if I could not find use for my skills....

In the salary poll in this Forum 27% of the voters are making over $100K.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post

In the salary poll in this Forum 27% of the voters are making over $100K.
Actually 27% of the voters say they are making over $100k.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,217,507 times
there's no reason to lie. i believe it. a lot of ppl in fla make a lot of money.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM

246 posts, read 1,019,359 times
I, for one are going to stick it out. I like FL and other areas have problems also. I came from LI and the taxes there are alot more then here.

We do need some decent paying jobs. There is money to be made in FL if you think outside the box. When money is tight you have to curve expenses and all works out. I learned that when my DH became disabled.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
there's no reason to lie. i believe it. a lot of ppl in fla make a lot of money.

You should believe it. Florida is a relatively affluent state full of people with more money than sense.

The point above about working "near the beach" is valid too. The beaches are tourist areas with tourist-driven economies. That means a plethora of low-paying service industry jobs - and a lack of other kinds of jobs.

Also, skilled factory jobs, and the unions that go with them, just don't exist here as they might in other parts of the country. Even more shocking for people who move here from Europe or the Northeast US, Florida is a "right to work" state. which is a euphemism for having the right to be fired by your employer, for ANY reason, or no reason at all (subject to discrimination laws, of course).

If you don't have the marketable skills to get the job to afford the lifestyle here, whose fault is that? I see lots of kvetching on this board about Florida wages, etc., but not much insight into how people's own choices led them to where they are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: