Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times

Advertisements

Since moving to Florida, I've become concerned about my identity being stolen. Has anyone had any experience freezing their credit? Is is worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 29,093 times
Why are you affraid of your identity being stolen, it could happen anywhere not just FL.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
I am retired and don't need credit information for anyone to look at and have credit freeze.For senior it is free.If you are young and buying things on credit you will generally be blocked from buying.TransUnion and Equifax send pin number which along with certified letter has to be mailed back to lift freeze.Experian not so easy,not so nice.I before I became aware of how to deal with them got stuck with Credit Watch service without knowing about till my Visa came in.I am in process of straightning out.I filed a complaint with federal gov't.Credit Watch cost's $12 per month for no value at all.Credit Watch part of Experian.Pages of complaints on internet against them.So as you see if you are buying,it is not easy to turn on and off.The freeze is an absolute block.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:19 PM

96 posts, read 344,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Since moving to Florida, I've become concerned about my identity being stolen. Has anyone had any experience freezing their credit? Is is worth it?
Take these appropriate precautions. The most prevalent fraud in Miami is ATM and Credit Card fraud.
  1. Never use your ATM card for purchases
  2. Avoid getting store credit cards as those systems are not as secure as banks
  3. Sign up for a credit monitoring service such as myfico dot com
  4. Don't carry SSN card in wallet
  5. Use Internet Security software at home for online banking

Old 09-06-2007, 02:47 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post

Your identity can be stolen right off this web site, any charge cards you use & especially, the easiest, checks that you write....your account # printed on the check can't lay it out any easier for a criminal to get a hold of.

Best bets:

1. Get rid of your checks & pay with money orders.
2. Never put your bills out for the mail man in the box with the flag up; it's called flaging & alerts check writers that you have "checks in the mail".
3. Forget your debit card & if you do keep one, have a $20 cash limit on it, incase your pin is figured out...do not use it for a "credit" card.
4. Make sure what you need to do in the event of fraudulent purchases
5. The freeze thing is a pain in the a*$. Just don't keep more than two cards on you.
6. Do not let the bank tellers give you a card to put in your wallet with your account #'s on them...duh!
7. Do not keep anything with your checking/savings account #'s unlocked.

there's some starters for ya!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Muggy,

It happened to me and it had nothing to do with living in Florida. You identity is out there and can be stolen by just about anyone anywhere .

I had always been protective of my identity information, but it still happened. My information was stolen by an employee at a mortgage company (they had access to the records ). My story is pretty typical, actually. The 2 most common sources of identity theft can be traced to a family member (yes!) or an employee at a company you do business with.

I did close access to my credit through the credit bureaus. It's not foolproof, but it's a good deterrent. It makes it a bit harder to open future credit, but not too bad (it adds an extra step in for you to do). I also got on the nationwide Do Not Call list and also removed myself from direct marketing - in short, I opt out of everything I possibly can just to lessen the risk (plus, why should companies make money off of selling my information to another company??).

My checks have never had anything other than my name and an out-of-date phone number and I've never had any problem. I pay bills by personal check and drop them off at the post office. I use my debit and credit cards all the time and that's never posed a problem for me either. I monitor my own credit by once-a-year credit reports, so far that's been adequate.

"Freezing" your credit is a good idea if you are allowed to do so. Last I knew, you either had to have been a victim of identity theft or a few other scenarios....maybe that's changed, you'll have to see. All it means is that if anyone - even YOU - tried to open credit in your name, the credit extender (store, etc.) is SUPPOSED to read the line that says there is a freeze and you have to be contacted before the credit is released (I have them call my cell phone). When I've gone to open credit (which I don't do very often), they've USUALLY called me, but NOT ALWAYS, so, it's not foolproof as I said above.

The worst part of it all? If you ever ARE a victim of identity theft, good luck prosecuting anyone! In my case, because the dollar amount was under $10k, it was up to the EXTENDER OF CREDIT (the "actual" victim in the eyes of the law, if you can believe that !) whether to prosecute or not, and they chose not to! Even though we had the criminal in hand, they could not be bothered (frustrating for the police too!). These big companies just write it off as a tax loss....works for them, right?!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
If you are senior freeze is free.I live in North Florida now for 20 years and use my credit union in Denver and use debit/credit card from a to z and have local bank only for notory or cash check.Publix ATM along with others around the USA are free,no charge.Never have had problem in many years,electronic is paperless trail.Use only certified verifyied sites and I do not let card out of my site.I will be coing to Ct and ATM there are free.Live practicaly cash free.Read post above.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 AM

19 posts, read 58,328 times
I had heard all about credit freezing from the Suze Orman Show.
Check out Suze Orman internationally acclaimed personal finance expert : The Suze Orman Show : Will & Trust Kit : FICO Kit : Insurance Kit : Women & Money to find out more about this.
I do agree with the other posters though...this could really happen anywhere. Actually...one of the most recent Suze Orman shows she mentioned that it's a good idea to check your child's credit report from the time they receive a social security number. If there's no history for them...it means they haven't had their ID stolen. If they actualy do have a history (and they shouldn't) then someone helped themselves to their identity.
Apparently stealing children's identity has become pretty huge.
It's disgusting in any case...but check out her website and her show. She's so informative. Thanks to watching her..we decided not to buy a home last year after being prequalified. Needless to say..it was a blessing we waited.
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: