Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Call up the Dept of Labor if you have trouble

United State Department of Labor (http://www.dol.gov/ - broken link)
I havent been a server in many years.
My point was that this has been going on for a looooong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM

84 posts, read 229,289 times
exactly "who" is supposed to "guarantee" this 9.98? and who makes up the difference if it doesn't happen? the employer? yeah, good luck with that. they already want to cut what they pay by half.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonceltz View Post
Right on every account.

This is just a terrible idea...there are (obviously) so many old people in this state, and so many of them are ridiculously thrifty. I've seen older couples leaving 50 cents or a buck (sometimes less) on their tables after racking up sizable bills.

This lowering of the minimum wage would drastically cripple so many already underpaid hard working people who depend on tips to pay rent, put food on the table, and provide transportation to and from their jobs. I know a lot of people here may think waitresses and the like rake in the money, but that is far from the usual. A middle aged waitress at the Waffle House ain't making bank folks!
Even a server in a nicer restaurant ain't making bank,at the end of the year they probably aren't making more than 20K a year.You cut their paychecks in half,however little they are and you're probably cutting another $1,000 off their yearly earnings.How about restaurants where they get health insurance,if their paycheck is not covering the insurance costs,guess it'll be coming out of their tips,even less money in their pockets.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Thanks as usual for your political viewpoint ... and what are the left-wing "nuts" doing to help the minimum wage worker ? Lowering their health insurance rates ? Lowering gas prices ? Lowering retail good prices ? Etc etc etc ...

Maybe some of these minimum wage workers wouldn't be minimum wage workers if they had gone to college, or started a business, or patented an invention, or made money investing, or just plain took risks like the "rich" people did.
And thanks for yours...as usual.

I can tell you the left wing representatives aren't trying to pass bills that further tax those already income-disadvantaged.

I love that you think that if some had gone to college it would have been as simple as that. I'll be sure to pass that on to people I know with advanced degrees in the sciences who have had to settle for $12 an hour research assistant jobs, if they're lucky. Furthermore most everyone takes risks so the premise that had they simply attempted it would have changed everything is lame at best. Typical GOP crapola/innuendo, "Just get up off the couch and do something"....as if it's that simple. The jobs are out there!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Even a server in a nicer restaurant ain't making bank,at the end of the year they probably aren't making more than 20K a year.You cut their paychecks in half,however little they are and you're probably cutting another $1,000 off their yearly earnings.How about restaurants where they get health insurance,if their paycheck is not covering the insurance costs,guess it'll be coming out of their tips,even less money in their pockets.
Actually most servers don't receive a paycheck because after taxes are applied to their hourly income it disappears and often isn't enough to pay all of the taxes, leaving a deficit at the end of the year. I waited tables for years and received pretty much nothing but "zero checks".

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually most servers don't receive a paycheck because after taxes are applied to their hourly income it disappears and often isn't enough to pay all of the taxes, leaving a deficit at the end of the year. I waited tables for years and received pretty much nothing but "zero checks".
Even after accounting for things like the earned income tax credit (EITC)? The EITC often allows people who have very little taxable income to end up paying no taxes and still get money from the government at the end of the year

Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Because as a former tipped employee I can tell you that there has always been such a measure (guaranteeing a minimum) that has pretty much never been enforced (unclear as to who enforces, plus there's probably two people who do it), so of course the Restaurant lobbyists/paid-off legislators are proposing the $9.98 because they know they won't have to back it up. It's a win-win for them dropping the minimum wage and increasing the "guarantee".
I'm sure a phone call to the US DOL would help.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
I guess it comes down to an answer of "If you don't like it, No one is forcing you to live/work/play in Florida.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,894,939 times
Quote:
That was probably back when servers were making $2.13 an hour,now at $4 something most of them do get a paycheck,not a big paycheck maybe $50-$100 for two weeks or less if they get insurance.Not much but enough to cover a bill or two.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Quote:
And thanks for yours...as usual.

I can tell you the left wing representatives aren't trying to pass bills that further tax those already income-disadvantaged.

I love that you think that if some had gone to college it would have been as simple as that. I'll be sure to pass that on to people I know with advanced degrees in the sciences who have had to settle for $12 an hour research assistant jobs, if they're lucky. Furthermore most everyone takes risks so the premise that had they simply attempted it would have changed everything is lame at best. Typical GOP crapola/innuendo, "Just get up off the couch and do something"....as if it's that simple. The jobs are out there!
I can tell you the left wing reps aren't trying to do much of anything, except right the social "injustices" of the world.

One thing's for sure - those people you know that are currently working for $12/hour in research assistant positions will do fine when the economy improves unlike most of the minimum wage workers who will always be minimum wage workers. And those minimum wage workers wouldn't even have jobs unless risk-takers and entrepreneurs had started businesses and needed help. Your reasoning is hardly a deterrent to those who want to enhance their future marketability by going to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida