Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,676,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
For those of you that are tired of companies 'taking advantage' of you, making money from your hard work or not paying you enough... you should go start your own business and work for yourself.

Never mind most business owners work 60 - 80 hours a week and make little to no money their first 3 - 5 years.

It's simple. If you take a risk and you succeed you get the reward.... which is more than working for someone else... where you take little to no risk.
While what you say is true and I fully support people getting into their own business, it is just not feasible for everyone to have their own business.

First problem would be that if everyone had their own business, where would the labor pool come from? There would be no one to hire to perform needed functions in a business if everyone had their own business.

The with no labor, there would be no means for producing economic activity. Labor is sort of like cash, labor can flow in and out of industries on a needed basis. If say everyone had a business and the labor was formed into contractors, business would be conducted on a very slow pace. For a store to even have a cashier, they would have to treat that cashier as a independent contractor, which could you imagine, the entire labor force being independent contractors? I think this nightmare will keep me awake at night! This is almost similar to a union, in which it has a pool of skilled employees and they make a contract with the company for their use in producing for the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,162,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You realize how many businesses have been bailed out by the government? And to what amount of money was spent?
Far more individuals are being "bailed out" via food stamps, welfare, bankruptcies, mortgage reduction plans, etc. And individuals do not have to reimburse the government for those found monies whereas the businesses who received bailouts agreed to pay back the money.

Quote:
Discretionary spending is what keeps our economy going. Without these people blowing their money on items they cannot really afford, the economy will stall and shrink. The economy, along with prices, has been driven by a negative savings rate for decades. It is a shock to the system if all of a sudden people started buying what they could only truly afford.
That's precisely the economic model that got this country into the mess it's in now. Overextend by consuming and get government help when the bills are overdue. I would rather see a model where our citizens cut back on their consumption even if the price of goods went up. Cutting back on consumption would bring manufacturing jobs back job as companies could no longer afford to operate overseas. More people would go back to work and therefore have the ability to put cash away instead of spending like the world is going to end tomorrow. It's far too easy to declare bankruptcy and eliminate all of your debt, even with the credit ramifications.

At what point do citizens have to take accountability for their actions ? I guess the answer is never as long as the government is setting the example.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,081,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
While what you say is true and I fully support people getting into their own business, it is just not feasible for everyone to have their own business.
Understood. The majority of people cannot, will not and could not be business owners.

I have always wanted to be a business owner but have not wanted to make the commitment of doing what is required to be a SUCCESSFUL owner (low pay starting out, no guarantees of a pay check, hours required, stress involved, cost). I have started a small company which has flexible hours and little risk. I'm not making any money at it right now and probably won;t until I commit to it more. But at least I have started and am hopefully setting the groundwork to eventually take the next step.

Currently I work for a Fortune 500 company and enjoy knowing exactly what my check is going to be on the 15th and the 30th of each month. I know I have Saturday and Sunday off, plus holidays, 8 sick days and 4 weeks of paid time off.

Sure, I spend a lot on medical insurance, dental insurance amongst many other benefits, but so does my employer.

I know for a fact if I ever become self employed I am either going to pay a lot more for health insurance or not have it at all. That's scary. As far as having dental or vision insurance... not likely. 4 weeks of paid time off..... ha!.... maybe in 10 - 15 years after getting the business going.

I grew up in a family that owned a small business. It could have been mine. I would be making a whole lot more money than I am now.... but I was not ready for the commitment at the time it was offered to me (6 - 7 days a week 12 hour days). If I had taken the business I would still be in Alaska and not have experienced nearly as much of the world as I have.

Basically what I am saying is most people are employee types... not employer or self employed types.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM

613 posts, read 756,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Far more individuals are being "bailed out" via food stamps, welfare, bankruptcies, mortgage reduction plans, etc. And individuals do not have to reimburse the government for those found monies whereas the businesses who received bailouts agreed to pay back the money.

That's precisely the economic model that got this country into the mess it's in now. Overextend by consuming and get government help when the bills are overdue. I would rather see a model where our citizens cut back on their consumption even if the price of goods went up. Cutting back on consumption would bring manufacturing jobs back job as companies could no longer afford to operate overseas. More people would go back to work and therefore have the ability to put cash away instead of spending like the world is going to end tomorrow. It's far too easy to declare bankruptcy and eliminate all of your debt, even with the credit ramifications.

At what point do citizens have to take accountability for their actions ? I guess the answer is never as long as the government is setting the example.
“The poor are to blame for everything” and “the poor people have it too easy” nonsense that you are promoting is horribly disgusting. Let’s think about how stupid these ideas are for a moment… now you should be laughing because you realize how foolish the ideas you are promoting sound!! HA!

You need to learn to do some of that math stuff, my good brah. The criminals that run Corporate America steal more cash in one day than all of the poor people have since the beginning of time.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Agreed. Just had a small business with my soon-to-be ex husband. It was a nightmare, partly because he thought he could work when he felt like it. That it was easy. Running a business is often 50 to 80 hours a week or more. Taxes, taxes and taxes. Paying health insurance is a nightmare. And don't even get me started about employees.

The dope still has the business but it is basically just a shell while he tries to dodge child support.

I just got a job with a Fortune 500 company and I am relieved.

The only beef I have with Corporate America is that it is running the government. We need campaign finance reform and we need it yesterday. They are in the pockets of all of our politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Understood. The majority of people cannot, will not and could not be business owners.

I have always wanted to be a business owner but have not wanted to make the commitment of doing what is required to be a SUCCESSFUL owner (low pay starting out, no guarantees of a pay check, hours required, stress involved, cost). I have started a small company which has flexible hours and little risk. I'm not making any money at it right now and probably won;t until I commit to it more. But at least I have started and am hopefully setting the groundwork to eventually take the next step.

Currently I work for a Fortune 500 company and enjoy knowing exactly what my check is going to be on the 15th and the 30th of each month. I know I have Saturday and Sunday off, plus holidays, 8 sick days and 4 weeks of paid time off.

Sure, I spend a lot on medical insurance, dental insurance amongst many other benefits, but so does my employer.

I know for a fact if I ever become self employed I am either going to pay a lot more for health insurance or not have it at all. That's scary. As far as having dental or vision insurance... not likely. 4 weeks of paid time off..... ha!.... maybe in 10 - 15 years after getting the business going.

I grew up in a family that owned a small business. It could have been mine. I would be making a whole lot more money than I am now.... but I was not ready for the commitment at the time it was offered to me (6 - 7 days a week 12 hour days). If I had taken the business I would still be in Alaska and not have experienced nearly as much of the world as I have.

Basically what I am saying is most people are employee types... not employer or self employed types.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,214,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The only beef I have with Corporate America is that it is running the government. We need campaign finance reform and we need it yesterday. They are in the pockets of all of our politicians.
Yup, and that's true of BOTH parties. Democrats and Republicans

Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,162,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
“The poor are to blame for everything” and “the poor people have it too easy” nonsense that you are promoting is horribly disgusting. Let’s think about how stupid these ideas are for a moment… now you should be laughing because you realize how foolish the ideas you are promoting sound!! HA!

You need to learn to do some of that math stuff, my good brah. The criminals that run Corporate America steal more cash in one day than all of the poor people have since the beginning of time.
Hey my good "brah" (whatever the hell that is), no one is saying the "poor are to blame for everything and the poor have it too easy". But since all you're espousing is that corporate America is stealing money every day, here's a simple solution for you. Don't buy their fricking products ! And the ones who take financial risks in life are entitled to the rewards, not the folks who sit on their couches with their mouths open and pockets empty wondering how they got into so much debt.

And people should be made accountable for their actions ... if you murder someone and are caught, you are held accountable by your peers. If you run up excessive debt, you should be held accountable by the financial institutions who loaned you the money.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,453,755 times
Quote:
Hey my good "brah" (whatever the hell that is), no one is saying the "poor are to blame for everything and the poor have it too easy". But since all you're espousing is that corporate America is stealing money every day, here's a simple solution for you. Don't buy their fricking products ! And the ones who take financial risks in life are entitled to the rewards, not the folks who sit on their couches with their mouths open and pockets empty wondering how they got into so much debt.

And people should be made accountable for their actions ... if you murder someone and are caught, you are held accountable by your peers. If you run up excessive debt, you should be held accountable by the financial institutions who loaned you the money.
Of course everyone should be held accountable. But then are you also saying that the business owners personal assets (i.e. their home, car, savings account) also be removed from bankruptcy protection in the event that the business files bankruptcy?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM

613 posts, read 756,540 times
Quote:

Hey, brah, I don’t appreciate your evil tone, but you’re a perfect example of what is wrong with the USA; you defend the murders and blame the murdered.

The way I understand it, my fine feathered friend, most of the individual’s filing for bankruptcy do so because of an illness, like cancer. I’m sure you find situations like this to be rather humorous and want to make things as difficult as possible for these people with cancer, but I’d really like to make things as easy as possible for these cancer stricken people.
My old brah, financial institutions write the laws.

I have no problem with people walking away from their financial obligations with banks or credit card companies. If someone owes a banking institution some money and they no longer feeling like paying them back or cannot, we need to make it as easy as possible for the individual to discharge the debt.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,157,141 times
Quote:
And the business owners who have succeeded are expected to bail all of these non-planners out.
You mean these successful businesses?

Bailout List: Banks, Auto Companies, and More | Eye on the Bailout | ProPublica

I think you mean the "non-planners" are expected to bail out the business owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida