Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:53 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,026 times

Advertisements

Someone who used to live in Panama City once told me that it's a racist place. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'm a minority from the West Coast, so I'm aware this is a big change...

Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,031 times
I used to live in Panama City Beach. First, let me say that I'm white so my interpretation may be different than someone of color.

While I don't think it is KKK kind of racist, it is definitely not diverse by most modern, large city standards, especially West Coast standards. Whites are about 80% of the population, blacks are 15%, and the rest is the so called "other". This is pretty much true of the entire panhandle of Florida.

We moved there after growing up near DC, and living in the Orlando, and Tampa areas. It was major culture shock for us. I don't think we ever fully adjusted. A day or two after we moved to PCB, there was some sort of parade. The Boy Scouts were carrying a Confederate flag and the Shriners had Confederate flags on the back of their little clown cars. There wasn't a non-white face in the crowd. You will see Confederate flag beach towels and rafts for sale at the local souvenir stores. While the locals will tell you it's not racist, it's their heritage, it might make non-whites a little uncomfortable. I never heard anyone use the N word, even in private conversations and, to my knowledge, there was no race related violence while I was there.

There are black people that live there of course but they mostly seem to live in one area of town over on the mainland in Panama City. There are virtually no black people living on the beach which is essentially an island. The area seems to be self-segregated and I didn't notice much diversity in the neighborhoods. It is very much Old South.

They are trying to change their image and it has changed a lot since I first moved there. They are trying to become more of an affluent resort area more like Destin, FL and less of a redneck spring break spot. They are moving in that direction. This is the town that jailed the owner of Girls Gone Wild.

I don't think you would find it too racist but it is a little redneck. It is not the cultural epicenter of the universe by any means and if you are used to the amenities of the West Coast, you will be in for a major adjustment. In this area California is the "Left Coast" and "Liberal" is dirty word. Overall, it's not a bad place to live and if you like the beach, you will love the beaches here. You may just find it a little narrow minded.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
well the Panhandle is known as the 'Redneck Riviera" or "Lower Alabama". Diverse like the rest of the state it's not.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well the Panhandle is known as the 'Redneck Riviera" or "Lower Alabama". Diverse like the rest of the state it's not.
Well it is certainly refreshing to see that prejudice doesn't just exist in "Lower Alabama."

Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,026 times
I understand that outside of a few states, most of the United States isn't 'diverse', and I also respect the many traditions of the South. What I can't tolerate, however, is undo prejudice or just direct racism against someone of color, and that's what I was worried about in the Panhandle. Does anyone have anything to say about that? Again, not to sound ignorant, but I'm more just curious.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I understand that outside of a few states, most of the United States isn't 'diverse', and I also respect the many traditions of the South. What I can't tolerate, however, is undo prejudice or just direct racism against someone of color, and that's what I was worried about in the Panhandle. Does anyone have anything to say about that? Again, not to sound ignorant, but I'm more just curious.

Thanks!
I lived near Panama City (in Port St Joe) for over a year and a half.
For us, Panama was the "big city" where we went for shopping, the airport, etc.
I pretty much concur with Deckardc's description (I am white too).
I never saw overt racism, though the Confederate Flag t-shirts and bumperstickers are everywhere.
In PSJ, most (but not all) blacks lived literally on the other side of the tracks.
You could see the Separate But Equal heritage, but also you could see that it is definitely changing for the better. Yes there is self-segregation but I saw plenty of that in Denver. FWIW I also saw plenty of inter-marriage.
Compared to Port St Joe, Panama City is a large metropolis, but I do think PC still might come as a shock to someone from the West Coast.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 21,526 times
Unhappy Oh wow.... A Sista's visit over the weekend...

I have just returned from PC/PCB for a visit this wet weekend. I must say I was quite disappointed to learn African Americans have a small/quiet presence in the area.

I guess this posting explains why I was mistreated at the local convenience/gas station in Cedar Grove Saturday morning. I'm a professional/educated proud to be an African American woman who is well traveled and can get along with anyone from any background---- but this posting confirms my feeling about the area upon the visit I made over the weekend.

When I dined out at O'Charleys --- caucasians were staring and pointing in conversation.

Lord help a sista because I may get locked up behind an intelligent debate with a local that may be perceived as confrontational when their ignorance is exposed.

Did someone say there's a less than 15% population of African Americans residing in the city? I guess finding a compatible date will be impossible.

Oh my hidden racism too? I'm in trouble. Any individual with common sense will know a minority can sense racism. Prejudice ignorance cannot hide well.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 21,426 times
Default PC is Racist; hate to say it

Sorry to hear about your experience in PC. I moved to PC 12 years ago and it was much worse than now. I am a white male married to a hispanic woman. When we first got here the exact same thing that happened to you at Ocharlies, happened to us, wherever we went, people would stare at us like we were from outerspace. Progress is slow here, and if u look anything besides white and redneck you will stick out like a sore thumb .

Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
To label a city, or the people in a city is almost as ignorant as the recipients of such a claim if indeed they existed in the first place.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:11 PM

973 posts, read 2,228,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post

Thanks!
Try moving west to the Destin/Niceville/Ft. Walton Beach area. Eglin AFB and Hulburt Field are major military bases, and that adds a lot of minority families to the area. Due to the discipline and adaptability the military environment requires, the non-military residents of the town are quite accepting of minorities. There are quite a few mixed race relationships that get along just fine there. However, the one exception is probably the rampant problem of illegal immigration in the area. When I left that area in '97, I never noticed a problem. The last few times I've visited, I've noticed the problems that have been thrown into the area regarding the school systems and I think many of the residents have a major problem with it. I grew up there and think the area is very accepting of all legal minorities compared to other parts of the state, including Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida