Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times

Advertisements

I recently renewed my FL drivers license. I brought all required documents.
Current drivers license, certified birth certificate, social security card, voter registration card and two utility bills.
After taking an eye exam, I went to a clerk for processing. The clerk took all the documents. I thought they would just be viewed for verification. Big surprise to me as all were scanned. Didn't think much about it until I was driving home.
We are told constantly that we should keep our super secret personal information private. But now on a computer in Tallahassee, they have our photo, where you were born, where your parents lived, your fathers name, your mothers maiden name, your social security #, utility bills with your current address and account #'s [women have to bring their marriage certificate or divorce decree to show name change]
The State is gathering personal and confidential information of millions of every citizen in the State just to have a drivers license.
Missing was a demand for a finger print and/or a DNA swab.
Why do they need this information on file for a drivers license?
What federal, state, county-city agencies will have access to this information? And for what reasons?
How many people in these agencies will have access? At what level on the bureaucracy ladder to curtail snoopers?
How secure are the computers from hackers looking for identity theft?
Is this another treasure trove for hackers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Why did you bring so much Identification? All I brought was my current license, SS card & a utility bill. to renew.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
They already have all that information anyway. They are scanning the info based on recent (2005 or so) federal requirements brought on by the idiotic patriot act, you can thank GW Bush and his band of privacy hating republikans

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
..... you can thank GW Bush and his band of privacy hating republikans
Hardly limited to W and the republicans. They're all just two sides of the same coin.

Patriot Act Extension Signed By Obama

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...."

Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
I thought you could renew your license online....

Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
You can even renew it by phone!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
You can but it is a one time deal now so when it comes up for renewal the next time you have to go in and get the National license type Florida license.

Your current driver's license is not accepted as a primary ID to get the new license. It can still be used as a Secondary ID. Women who have changed their name might have to bring in marriage or divorce papers to match the name theare now.

All the info they gather and copy is supposed to not be released to anyone but law enforcement and the DMV. But didn't they sell our license and pictures at some time in the past? Seems like I remembver a controversy about the sstatge making millions off our licenses.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Since 1/1/10 you must appear in person to renew your driver license and you must bring -your current driver license, gov. issued certified birth certificate or U.S. Passport or naturalization papers, AND SS card, AND two documents showing residential address. [women must bring marriage cert or court ordered name change] You will take an eye exam.
Anybody telling you any different from the above doesn't know what they are talking about. You will be reminded of the above with getting a post card 3 months before your renewal birthday on a post card from the FL Division of Motorist Services.
More information is available at gathergoget.com

Old 03-10-2012, 02:51 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Since 1/1/10 you must appear in person to renew your driver license and you must bring -your current driver license, gov. issued certified birth certificate or U.S. Passport or naturalization papers, AND SS card, AND two documents showing residential address. [women must bring marriage cert or court ordered name change] You will take an eye exam.
Anybody telling you any different from the above doesn't know what they are talking about. You will be reminded of the above with getting a post card 3 months before your renewal birthday on a post card from the FL Division of Motorist Services.
More information is available at gathergoget.com
Ummmm Excuse me..... but ..........I renewed mine in 2011 and I did it on line. I did not have to go in and I did not have to show all the new documents required. Next time I need to renew, it is required that I go in to renew it to get the national ID version. If you come from another state or get a license for the first time you do have to go in.

My post card told me I could renew on line so I did.

Check out the Florida DMV site

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

First paragraph copied below:

"U.S. citizens and immigrants who have been issued a Florida driver license since 2002 may renew at their local driver license office, on-line or by mail. ID card holders cannot renew by mail. You may renew your license up to 18 months prior to expiration. A delinquent fee is required when renewing after the expiration date. Click on the renewal method below for specific instructions.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Fl driver license site is old news dated 2009
Post card you will receive is revised as of 7/01/11
All info is at gathergoget.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida