Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seogorilla View Post
Old people need to understand not ever person can be bullied and if they shoot someoen they better know it can happen to them , you live here in Florida you dont own it.

Family wants answers after unarmed teen shot by neighborhood watch* - NY Daily News
Old people? The guy that shot him was 26 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Word to the wise don't try to takeguns away from armed prople

Old 03-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This is a regular occurance in FL. I have never seen so many people getting shot and killed over such silly things like two neighbors arguing over where someone parked their car or not liking a fence.

Just last week another road rage incident ended with somebody dead.

Too many people here who think if someone looks at them crosseyed they can use the "Stand Your Ground Law" to turn in Wyatt Earp.

Right now a 70yr old man is on trial for killing his 40 something Iraq War veteran neighbor in front of the veteran's 8 yr old daughter.

All because some kid was skateboarding on a basketball court(oh the HORROR) in their subdivision.

The 70 yr old had no business or reason to make a scene out of some teenager skateboarding(the teen wasn't related to the 40yr old), but he had to go outside with gun in hand and stir the pot.

It's out of control here.
The Stand Your Ground law will be used as a defense as every other item will like insanity, childhood abuse, self defense, etc. That does not mean the law is without its merit.

Violent crime is at its lowest level in years, so much for your "it's out of control".

Because some old guy shot someone and wants to use a law for a defense means the law is a bad idea? I will tell you this, the defense will use every means needed to get their client out of trouble. This is why it is up to the jury to use their knowledge and determine that the person was not justified in shooting the person.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Neighborhood Watch is what the name says - WATCH! It doesn't say "Neighborhood Militia"

If you have laws that say you can carry guns, you will have people who believe that means they can USE the guns they carry. I don't know why we are surprised that people in Florida are shooting each other. We have laws in Florida that, under certain circumstances, allow for that, and some people don't understand or care about the "certain circumstances".
Most people who shoot each other were not legally carrying their firearm. The instances of a person legally carrying their firearm and shooting someone is low compared to the amount of people who illegally carry their firearms and shoot someone.

Places in the US that have the strictest gun control laws also have a high number of firearm incidents. A person can also state that the most number of mass murders occur in gun free zones.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Unfortunately this appears to be a case of a old white guy with a "WTF, there is a black kid in my gated subdivision, he obviously does not belong here and he must be a criminal, let's shoot him"

The article say as much in not so many words

At least that's my interpretation of the article given the info provided

Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Most people who shoot each other were not legally carrying their firearm. The instances of a person legally carrying their firearm and shooting someone is low compared to the amount of people who illegally carry their firearms and shoot someone.
Exactly, or if they were carrying legally, they did not exercise the proper thought process before pulling the trigger

Quote:
Places in the US that have the strictest gun control laws also have a high number of firearm incidents.
See: New York, DC, California, Chicago, Baltimore (Maryland has some stupid laws which dont seem to work)

Quote:
A person can also state that the most number of mass murders occur in gun free zones.
Not so sure about that. If someone is going to commit a mass murder, honestly the gun laws arent going to stop it.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The Stand Your Ground law will be used as a defense as every other item will like insanity, childhood abuse, self defense, etc. That does not mean the law is without its merit.

Violent crime is at its lowest level in years, so much for your "it's out of control".

Because some old guy shot someone and wants to use a law for a defense means the law is a bad idea? I will tell you this, the defense will use every means needed to get their client out of trouble. This is why it is up to the jury to use their knowledge and determine that the person was not justified in shooting the person.
By "out of control" I'm talking about trigger happy "citizens" shooting each other over minor disputes.

A jogger shooting a guy who came up to him to ask directions.

The many road rage and neighborhood disputes that end up with someone dead on the ground.

Gee someone cuts you off in traffic, oh my their dog crapped on your lawn....by all means shoot and kill.

The 70yr old shooting the Iraq War veteran is just one example.

There are too many people in FL running around with guns who have no training(FL doesn't require any) who either out of fear or to have some power feel the need to be armed everywhere they go.

A lot of hotheads with low IQs who shouldn't be carrying guns.

I chatted with an old couple who were NY transplants in their late 70s, they both had guns with them. In a restaurant in a nice area on a Tuesday afternoon. WHY?

I don't care if people have guns at home, I don't see the need to be armed at all times.

A jury? LOL. Have you seen what passes for juries these days?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Florida requires training for someone to receive their CCW, but that training will not stop someone intent on breaking the law. People who break laws generally know they are breaking the law, no amount of training or information will stop that.

You may not see the need to be armed outside, but many people do and it is their right to be armed. When someone approaches a person and wants to do harm to them, the police are how far away? Or a nice hike in a park and run into some "helpful" people that end up wanting to rob or worst to you, what, the police are going to be there to stop it?

As with anything, there are always going to be those who will abuse their rights, those people should be prosecuted if they do so.

I never carry with me unless I go hiking or out of my area, mainly in case my car breaks down and some jerk off wants to provide assistance in the way of harm to me.

There are way too many people running around with guns, most of those are not allowed to carry, the law is on the books, those types do not care about laws.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A lot of hotheads with low IQs who shouldn't be carrying guns.
A lot of idiots with low IQ's and no means to support their love children should not be breeding either.

Would you like a law supporting this?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,348 times
The question is should a much older person be allowed to defend himself when attacked by a much younger person? and if the answer is yes then how or what would be an effective defense? A young person can easily overcome and kill a senior citizen. There is a real danger there. A senior citizen usually has arthritis or movement issues and is generally in questionable health. Hand to hand combat is probably not an effective means of senior citizen defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida