Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 24,227 times

Advertisements

I am considering Lake Placid to move to. however, I hear that some canals in Lake Placid no longer connect to the lakes due to low water levels. any truth to that?

Also is there a website, picture, or anyone that can tell what what lakes and in the lake placid area are interconnected and which ones are not?

Best,
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Should I assume that, by the lack of responses, this is and should remain a taboo issue? Any clarity on the issue will be appreciated as lake access is a top concern for any decision..

Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 AM

199 posts, read 528,281 times
Water levels are low, it's winter and rainfall has been minimal. There are numerous lakes in Lake Placid, but to my knowledge there not all interconnected, but some are. My suggestion is to visit LP, but I will say that house prices are no bargin on the water. I looked at one and it was $780,000, but there are much cheaper houses, but they sell well. A person I know has a place on lake June and his canal is 30 feet deep, so it depends on which canal. I saw one canal in another town near buy that was dry, but was very shallow, so a flat bottom boat would work there if there's rain.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Thank you for the direct answer. Very much appreciated. We will rent an house for a couple of weeks to get a "feel" for the place.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM

11 posts, read 49,067 times
Hi, JC,
Don't know if you're still checking answers to your question, and I assure you I am not a font of information, but I'll tell you what I've learned in my month here:

When I was here in the first week of March, I saw a man pulling a pontoon boat (which are very popular here) through the canal between Redwater Lake (also known as "Lake Redwater" .... I think - or maybe it's the other way around ) and Lake Francis.

There's two lakes that connect. Two other lakes that I know of which connect via a canal are Lake Henry and Lake June. It isn't easy to find the information on the lakes, the depths - (very wide range of depths!), the connecting canals, etc.

Yes, absolutely rent for awhile to learn where you are interested in living, as there are many lakes here, many beautiful places, many midrange places, and many lowrange places. Properties on lakes vary in price, both by which lake they're on and the size, which range from McMansions to 1 or two bedroom cottages; and those range from homes which are in the very best condition, to homes that have never been anything except cottages and not well-maintained.

I am not keen on using a real estate agent - much prefer to ride around and find things for myself, but after doing that for a month, I am now thinking of finding an agent to work with, and I suggest you do the same. It can be difficult to judge what the inside of a lakefront cottage will look like from it's outside appearance; and there's often no way to know what is behind the cottage - lakeview, pool, etc., from the front - so go ahead and drive around to see which areas you like, but also work with an agent.

Keep your mind open to canal-front homes (included when you search for "waterfront". Many are quite nice and have docks and boat "houses" (I could be wrong, but I think they call a dock with a place for a boat which has a roof "boathouses"): some of the canals seem to be deep, and are wide enough for houses on both sides of the canal to have a dock and a place for their boat. There are areas which have a canal on each block leading to a major lake, and there can be large differences between the houses from one street to another.

Enjoy your visit and good luck!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,848 times
Default Boating in Lake Placid, Fl

Hi JC
I am a snowbird and lived her for three years. This year I brought my 20' bayliner from Missouri and put it in Lake June as I live in Placid Lakes a subdivision of Lake Placid. The water level is low as they let it out to ready for any storms as hurricane season is about to start. I would not recomend a boat larger than mine unless you plan on using it in the gulf or the rivers. There are 27 lakes near by the town of Lake Placid. Many have boat ramps so traveling to each is easy with a trailer. Some lakes are very shallow and a air boat is your best form of travel. Pontoons are very popular as well as PWCs. Something to think about is the allagator population. Some lakes are loaded while others have none. The fishisg is great for large mouth bass and Lake Istopago is the second best in the state for bass. Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
The water level is probably around 3ft above sea level.

I don't know about the depth. There's probably info on fishing forums or something.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 AM

The lakes in and the town of Lake Placid are between 70 and 115 feet above sea level. Lake Francis is 70 feet above sea level; Lake Placid lake in the town of Lake Placid is 91 feet above sea level. Info on lowest and highest depths, square footage, and elevation on Lake Placid lakes and aerial photos are available at searchfusion.com ... but I can't figure out how to find from the "home" location. However, you can find it by typing searchfusion.com of the lake*.htm. Don't use "Lake" for the name of the lake, just the name, and if it is two words, use the underline symbol (above the hyphen on your keyboard. Examples: The Home Town Network Inc - Lake Placid, Lake Placid Florida The Home Town Network Inc - Lake Red Water, Lake Placid Florida The Home Town Network Inc - Lake June in Winter, Lake Placid Florida The Home Town Network Inc - Lake Istokpoga, Lake Placid Florida There is a chart of depths for all the major lakes at Greater Lake Placid Chamber of Commerce - Lake Placid, Florida

Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Please don't buy an airboat.

A neighbor just bought an airboat, and it completely ... COMPLETELY ... destroys the peace and quiet. At high speeds, it's as loud as a small airplane taking off. It's not as loud on those rare occasions when he's not pushing it to the max, but it's still unpleasantly loud.

The jetskis, ski-boats, and other power boats are no problem, those are things you expect living on a lake, and watching people enjoying them adds to the enjoyment of living on a lake; but the airboat is absolutely horrible.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,005 times
Default moving from New Orleans

Can someone recommend a real estate agent for the Sebring/Lake Placid area. We were looking in Port St Lucie but the taxes and insurance are high and rising each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida