Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
We do need to get uninsured drivers off the street. It hurts everyone. I would not mind at all having to deal with an extra check or two to get uninsured drivers off the street. I was hit by an uninsured driver once and it SUCKS!
Well I was rear-ended by an uninsured driver and he ended up in the morgue. The requirement for insurance does not stop the uninsured driver any more than laws can stop drug use or murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 01:04 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,738,790 times
Default LESS is better when it comes to government interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, for starters;
- A person without insurance will just get a gas can and fill up, then fill up their car, we act like people without insurance are so stupid they cannot get around such a simple system, they already seem to get around in a country with one of the largest mobile police forces in the world.

- The infrastructure here is not even in place, I could just imagine the cost of integrating every gas station onto a system that will monitor every driver when they get gas.

- What is the deterrent? They do not purchase insurance now, is a fine going to make them purchase insurance? Stop driving? Of course it is not, but we will all be paying for it like it does.

- I can just see the problems now, darn cameras now wanting to work with certain cars, certain angles, etc, have to get personal clearance from the guy inside because the cameras will not work worth the darn to allow a person to get gas before it registers the car (also more stuff the gov can sell to businesses to make a nice little matrix of your habits to send more garbage to your mail).

So how about getting to the core of the problem and solving those, instead of putting some ineffective, gov entity in charge of something that will overrun in costs (as every thing does), and not solve any problems.

There are a wide range of ways to deal with uninsured drivers, from special tags, to special insurance reporting requirements, to vehicle immobilizing codes. These more draconian methods will hit head on the uninsured, provide deterrence, and provide a more full proof method of prevention, at a lower cost and not bothering those who comply with the law.
My initial reaction to the title was, "Yeah! - that would stop them from driving and get rid a big problem" -- But, isn't that the problem with so many seemingly 'simple' solutions -- that require some new form of regulation or management.

I can't think of anything that the government bureaucrats have gotten involved in ... that hasn't wound-up costing many times more than we were told it would; ... and causing more problems than it solved. We really can't afford much more costly, inefficient government interference in our lives.

Thomas Jefferson was right when he said, "May God protect us from politicians who take our money under the pretense of taking care of us"

Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,112,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I like the way NJ handles it.

If you drive without insurance, even if it's not your car, your license is suspended for a year. No hardship excuses, it's suspended. period. They also impound the car immediately and without question if there's no proof of insurance. It's a great way to get those cars and drivers off the road.

By the way, if you are caught driving on the suspended license, you go to jail.
NJ is doing the right thing....I would like to see all states follow suit plus impound fee should be an immediate $1,000. WHen 30 days arrive the 31st day would begin an additional $50 / day....

When the fees reach the book value of the car the car belongs to the state... So it would be possible for a criminal to get out of jail and not have their auto..

No slack for loser drivers.

Last edited by Synergy1; 03-17-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,509,560 times
This won't work because I can see a huge black market for gasoline if something like this was implemented. Can you imagine having a gas station having to swipe your license for every transaction and they wind up with all of your personal information? I smell a huge issue with Identity theft. The system in Florida works well enough where the Insurance companies notifies the DMV when your insurance lapses.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,000,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
This won't work because I can see a huge black market for gasoline if something like this was implemented. Can you imagine having a gas station having to swipe your license for every transaction and they wind up with all of your personal information? I smell a huge issue with Identity theft. The system in Florida works well enough where the Insurance companies notifies the DMV when your insurance lapses.
I agree. It's just one of those emotional issues like DUI's, and the punishment is always blown out of proportion. You have a bunch of brothers who lose their driving "privilege", and guess what, they'll just be slinging rocks at your local convenience store to make ends meet.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,213,582 times
Headline:

Quote:
Cameras at U.K. gas stations will block uninsured drivers from refueling
Article:

Quote:
uninsured drivers will still be able to fuel up, but only after the camera has captured and logged their license plate numbers.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
As it is right now, if your insurance expires and you don't renew it, they report it to the DMV. Then you either have to surrender your plate to the DMV or your license is suspended. Then you have to reinstate your license which is costly. If you drive with the suspended license you can be jailed. So you're pretty much forced to have insurance here anyway. I think the current system works.
About two years ago my wife (at the time) and I were looking to move back to Florida and we got a quote from a Farm Bureau rep for well over $400 a month for two mid 2000's basic cars (a sedan and a small truck, both 4 cyl. cars) and I asked him why it was so high, his reply was " Florida is a no-fault state, and half the cars on the road are uninsured."

I believe it, Insurance rates in Florida are high and wages in Florida are low. A lot of people down there can't afford it.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,214,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
About two years ago my wife (at the time) and I were looking to move back to Florida and we got a quote from a Farm Bureau rep for well over $400 a month for two mid 2000's basic cars (a sedan and a small truck, both 4 cyl. cars)
Did you and her have decent driving records? I know FL has high auto insurance rates, but that's nuts

Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Did you and her have decent driving records? I know FL has high auto insurance rates, but that's nuts
She had 1 ticket at the time, I've never had a ticket. Neither have had accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida