Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times

Advertisements

I'm opposed to light rail in each way possible. I love Florida and it's lifestyles and wish to see public transit grow, but I for one do not want to see light rail in any city in Florida. I prefer to see a heavy rail. (Atlanta, Miami, Austin Texas), or maglevs.

My reasons.

1. Hurricanes/Severe Thunderstorms. Light rails used overhead power lines, thats a disaster waiting to happen.

2. The over head lines are ugly and prevent things like major parade floats and other annual events from specific routing, unless built on elevated railway which again is even more costly.

3. Costly. As is all rail systems, but costly for something that may constantly need repaired/replacing due to weather.

4. Streets are not wide enough in dense areas in which cities need them. (Exception to South Florida and Some of Tampa Bay)

5. They are not fast at all. Better off catching a Flexbus or Express Bus.

I have seen proposals and I absolutely think Light Rail is a TERRIBLE idea here. Any body feel the same way or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I'm opposed to light rail in each way possible. I love Florida and it's lifestyles and wish to see public transit grow, but I for one do not want to see light rail in any city in Florida. I prefer to see a heavy rail. (Atlanta, Miami, Austin Texas), or maglevs.

My reasons.

1. Hurricanes/Severe Thunderstorms. Light rails used overhead power lines, thats a disaster waiting to happen.

2. The over head lines are ugly and prevent things like major parade floats and other annual events from specific routing, unless built on elevated railway which again is even more costly.

3. Costly. As is all rail systems, but costly for something that may constantly need repaired/replacing due to weather.

4. Streets are not wide enough in dense areas in which cities need them. (Exception to South Florida and Some of Tampa Bay)

5. They are not fast at all. Better off catching a Flexbus or Express Bus.

I have seen proposals and I absolutely think Light Rail is a TERRIBLE idea here. Any body feel the same way or no?
I don't mean this in a negative way; however, you're simply misinformed on light rail. Light rail is simply a type of train system. It uses a different gauge track than heavy rail, and usually does not goes as fast or carry as much capacity.

Not every light rail system has overhead lines. Light rail can be built to have a third rail for a power source (like Metrorail for example) or can also be powered by other fuel, i.e.-diesel.

Additionally, a light rail does not have to be built on a road.

It seems you're concerned with aesthetics, which I agree with; however, "light" rail is simply a form of rail. It does not have to be built like you see many of them in the US built like today.

People are infatuated with light rail because of the cost (usually much lower than heavy rail) as well as because it's "cool" to have light rail right now.

IMO I would like to see a better development of PRT systems in order to jump start more mass transit in the US.
Personal rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very interesting company:
ULTra - ULTra Personal Rapid Transit System

Quote:
ULTra (Urban Light Transport) is an innovative form of Personal Rapid Transit (PRT). The ULTra system consists of small, lightweight, computer-driven electric vehicles running on slender, special-purpose guideways.
ULTra offers numerous advantages over traditional transit systems, including:
  • Low capital and operational costs
  • Flexible routing
  • 24-hour availability
  • On-demand service
  • Non-stop travel to your destination - no transfers
  • Greater privacy
  • Zero on-site emissions
  • Extremely low overall energy use
  • Minimal visual and acoustic impacts

Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I don't mean this in a negative way; however, you're simply misinformed on light rail. Light rail is simply a type of train system. It uses a different gauge track than heavy rail, and usually does not goes as fast or carry as much capacity.

Not every light rail system has overhead lines. Light rail can be built to have a third rail for a power source (like Metrorail for example) or can also be powered by other fuel, i.e.-diesel.

It seems you're concerned with aesthetics, which I agree with; however, "light" rail is simply a form of rail. It does not have to be built like you see many of them in the US built like today.

People are infatuated with light rail because of the cost (usually much lower than heavy rail) as well as because it's "cool" to have light rail right now.

IMO I would like to see a better development of PRT systems in order to jump start more mass transit in the US.

agreed.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Im not misinformed just dont like the typical over head light rail. And Metro Rail is Heavy Rail.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Im not misinformed just dont like the typical over head light rail. And Metro Rail is Heavy Rail.
Butttttt, your complaints of light rail stem from the aesthetics. Light rail can look just like heavy rail.

Yes, Metrorail is heavy rail.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Here's a system that's working out:

River Line (New Jersey Transit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The critics continue to oppose it and any future expansion, even though it is currently operating at capacity.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:44 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Personally I don't care about the gauge of track used. I'd rather the state focus on building commuter rail instead of long-distance passenger rail (MIA to ORL, etc). Public transportation is a joke in Florida. Time to step into the 21st century.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:47 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I agree regarding the Light Rail limitations here but there are other forms of rapid transit that are better suited for Florida. I've long been a fan of the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) concept, especially given our lack of density in most parts of the state which successful Light Rail systems need for sufficient ridership.

Welcome to the National Bus Rapid Transit Institute
http://www.nbrti.org/docs/pdf/Survey..._Operating.pdf

Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Butttttt, your complaints of light rail stem from the aesthetics. Light rail can look just like heavy rail.

Yes, Metrorail is heavy rail.
I'm not complaining. We don't even have light rail systems in place in Florida so I can't complain. What I simply was doing was stating my opinion why I dont think Light Rail transit is suitable for Florida. My reasoning is not complaints but simply what they must consider before building overhead powerlines.

How can Light rail look like heavy rail without the power lines? Wouldn't that just make it Heavy rail though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Here's a system that's working out:

River Line (New Jersey Transit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The critics continue to oppose it and any future expansion, even though it is currently operating at capacity.
Interesting. See this looks like Heavy Rail but is classified as Diesel Light Rail?
Is this the only place in the country like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Personally I don't care about the gauge of track used. I'd rather the state focus on building commuter rail instead of long-distance passenger rail (MIA to ORL, etc). Public transportation is a joke in Florida. Time to step into the 21st century.
I think the Orlando to Miami Passenger Train is Privately Funded and will act as an instate commuting trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree regarding the Light Rail limitations here but there are other forms of rapid transit that are better suited for Florida. I've long been a fan of the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) concept, especially given our lack of density in most parts of the state which successful Light Rail systems need for sufficient ridership.

Welcome to the National Bus Rapid Transit Institute
http://www.nbrti.org/docs/pdf/Survey..._Operating.pdf
You don't need density. Yes it helps. Systems usually fail due to the locations of stops and non transfer options which yes we lack in.

Tampa has the new Metro Rapid BRT but thats all I'm familiar of. BRT requires it's own lane though to be effective which I know in Orlando we don't have room for more lanes on our narrow roads.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I would be happy to see more express buses and shuttles between cities. I would really love to see express shuttles from downtown to downtown entertainment districts, like Sarasota to St. Pete, St. Pete to Tampa, etc. I would definitely use this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida