Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 AM

125 posts, read 578,513 times

Advertisements

I know the beaches can be beautiful, and the sunshine & sunsets are fantastic. I know the bad things - high cost of living, low pay, humidity, conservative, etc. etc.

I would like to hear from anyone, especially transplants who have been there for at least a year. Tell me you have a good job (and did not transfer with it, but landed it after moving) you make a decent living, and its not as horrible, overcrowded, rude, crime-ridden as people say.

If you can't, well then, I know......

Especially the Jax and Tampa areas. Or the upper east coast - I'm not really interested in living in S. Fla or Central Fla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
I've been in Fla for 14 years- 9 in the NE Florida (Flagler County) area. I have a great job and have chosen to raise my child in a wonderful community.

I'm less than 90 minutes from Orl and Jax airports, 30 mins from Daytona airport. Lots to do within a two hour ride- Orlando attractions, space coast (can see shuttle launches very well from here), beaches, the history of St. Augustine, the culture of Jacksonville (a great small city by the way), the wildness of the inland part of the state (airboat rides, Paynes Prairie, St. Johns River- we have bears, bobcat, panthers, manatees, whales, dolphins, eagles, osprey, otters.......)

I lived in South Florida for five years before moving to this part of the state and really had my doubts about staying in Florida after that- I was transferred to this area and I immediately felt at home and knew I wanted to build a life here.

What to I love? I love the slight change of seasons here- our leaves change around christmas. I love the small feel of my growing community. I have an unbelieveable network of friends who are like family to me. I love the nearness of so many wonderful attractions and experiences- whether they are man made or natural. I love the water, I love the animals. I love the Florida Gators! I love the laid back lifestyle. I love that I don't have to wear a suit to work----I love that dressing up is putting on my good flip flops. I love that my weekends feel like mini vacations.

Sorry if I got carried away......

Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
I know the beaches can be beautiful, and the sunshine & sunsets are fantastic. I know the bad things - high cost of living, low pay, humidity, conservative, etc. etc.

I would like to hear from anyone, especially transplants who have been there for at least a year. Tell me you have a good job (and did not transfer with it, but landed it after moving) you make a decent living, and its not as horrible, overcrowded, rude, crime-ridden as people say.

Especially the Jax and Tampa areas. Or the upper east coast - I'm not really interested in living in S. Fla or Central Fla

Because there is so much more here than the beaches, overpriced cities and overcrowded tourist areas.

You didn't mention NW Florida or the Panhandle but it has generally less crime, more trees, more seasonal weather, and more polite people.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 AM

41 posts, read 305,330 times
Default RE: ...why they LOVE FLA

Hi,
We moved to southwest FL one year ago. Prior to that we "ping ponged" back and forth between central FL and NJ. There is much to love down here. From the beautiful weather to the kind people it's a wonderful place to be. That said, you had mentioned in your post that you are well aware of some of the negative aspects of living here. The pay rate is not the same as northern states, the cost of living is just as high, the medical care is horrific and we have bugs....giant, giant bugs.

I would suggest that you may want to try (if possible) moving down on a temporary basis. A 6 month lease in an apartment should give you a good feel on what to expect here. You're going to find greatly varying opionions from one person to the next on their Florida experience. For example, if one enjoys the heat (as I do) you will not hear any complaints about our humid summers. Individuals that do not have health issues may not be aware of just how terrible our health care system is here...the list goes on. I'm sure you'll find the answer if Florida is right for you, just make sure to look before you leap.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:

I've been on the First Coast (both St. Augustine & Jax) for appx a decade (originally from NYC).

Jax is far from horrible...

It's not overcrowded, but it is dense in parts.

Jax is no more rude than anywhere else in America - most people here are pretty nice.

Making a decent living here is all up to the individual - they are not handing out six-figure jobs here, but they are here if you can snag one.

"Crime-ridden" - not, I would not say it fits that definition. Do we have some serious crime issues? Yes, we do, much like other cities in America of this size. There are entire large areas of the city that I would not consider living in due to the crime issues in those areas or the surrounding areas - but this is nothing new. The same areas that are bad neighborhoods today were bad neighborhoods a decade ago.....not much changes .

The cost of living has risen, mainly due to the dramatic increase in housing costs, but the cost of living here is still not unbearable for most people. Many people will now have to choose to buy a more modest home than they would have had to do a few years back, but that's not the end of the world.

All in all, it's a pretty good city with everything you need, amazing outdoor opportunities and it's oceanfront !

Old 09-13-2007, 12:11 PM

265 posts, read 664,835 times
Quote:

I hate snowblowing, shoving, slipping on ice, fingers getting frozen,
short days during winter and high fuel bills and I like the endless summer.
I like swimming and free beaches.
I like shorts and casual clothes.
I like fresh fish.
I like not having to get my car inspected every year.
There are deals out there; you have to look for them.
Not going to say anymore; I don't want to start a stampede.
Some things I'm keeping to myself....

Old 09-13-2007, 01:25 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Lived in Bradenton since 1991; moved downtown Sarasota in April.

Built my home on Tampa Bay in the mid 1990's and had two children as well.

Initially, it was different, to live here & not vacation here.

It did take awhile to adjust, living here without family & having to make friends!

But, after the initial break in phase (about 2-3 years), I understood why a friend of mine from college who lives on the East coast said she couldn't move away even though the pay is low....if the tropics are in your blood, once you find your way here & work it out, you will not want to leave....

I gone from having lots of cash to having lots of budget, so I've seen it both ways. But, as we say on LBK, the zillionaires are now buying out the billionaires...go figure.

I didn't have to work when I first moved here back in 1991. I went to back to work in 2004, I have a good job and I enjoy my work (property management). My company is still young but expanding and there is room for advancement. My salary is a bit on the low side, but with room for advancement, it will go up. Sometimes its just about getting your foot in the door...

For now, everything works just fine. The crime is up everywhere in every city across the United States. Somtimes I just feel I "see" it more in certain areas because, as a Floridian, I'm not wearing tourist sunglasses that block out the everday reality of life. When it's the weekend, I feel like I'm on vacation. In fact, after 5 p.m., I feel like I'm on vacation. I like that.

I don't recommend it for everyone, but I hate to hear people trash Florida because of the heat, tourists, crime......The heats a given, the tourists are a given, and a lot of the crime used to be from transients...some of it now can be attributed to transplanted transients!...

I could pretty much be happy anywhere....but I'm glad I'm here

Old 09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
bfa

80 posts, read 458,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Lived in Bradenton since 1991; moved downtown Sarasota in April.

Built my home on Tampa Bay in the mid 1990's and had two children as well.

Initially, it was different, to live here & not vacation here.

It did take awhile to adjust, living here without family & having to make friends!

But, after the initial break in phase (about 2-3 years), I understood why a friend of mine from college who lives on the East coast said she couldn't move away even though the pay is low....if the tropics are in your blood, once you find your way here & work it out, you will not want to leave....

I gone from having lots of cash to having lots of budget, so I've seen it both ways. But, as we say on LBK, the zillionaires are now buying out the billionaires...go figure.

I didn't have to work when I first moved here back in 1991. I went to back to work in 2004, I have a good job and I enjoy my work (property management). My company is still young but expanding and there is room for advancement. My salary is a bit on the low side, but with room for advancement, it will go up. Sometimes its just about getting your foot in the door...

For now, everything works just fine. The crime is up everywhere in every city across the United States. Somtimes I just feel I "see" it more in certain areas because, as a Floridian, I'm not wearing tourist sunglasses that block out the everday reality of life. When it's the weekend, I feel like I'm on vacation. In fact, after 5 p.m., I feel like I'm on vacation. I like that.

I don't recommend it for everyone, but I hate to hear people trash Florida because of the heat, tourists, crime......The heats a given, the tourists are a given, and a lot of the crime used to be from transients...some of it now can be attributed to transplanted transients!...

I could pretty much be happy anywhere....but I'm glad I'm here
Could not have said it better myself!

I've lived here almost 3 years now. Moved from a small town in Georgia, (400 people) to Tampa, with 2 million plus. Yes, it took a bit to get used to living here, as opposed to visiting here, but it's the best decision I've made, aside from marrying and having two beautiful children.

As it's been pointed out, yes, it gets hot here in the summer. Sure, we have 2 seasons: hurricane, and 'winter'; but there is no other place I'd rather be.

And the beaches are an added bonus ;-)

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
Quote:
I know the bad things - high cost of living, low pay, humidity, conservative, etc. etc.
Coming from Portland, where the "liberalism" is that bed-wetting, business blaming, pro-failure, free-Tibet sort of Liberalism, I can say that you are going to hate Northeast Florida, since one of your "bad" things listed was "conservative".

But you don't have to take my word for it. Come on down and live here for three years- just make sure you have your return ticket already booked.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
10 years in Navarre (since 1998), and 4 years in Satellite Beach (1988 -1992).

The northwest part of the state is completely different from the rest of the state. Navarre is a relax location, affordable, low crime, excellent schools, great weather, outstanding communities/folks, great beaches, lots of jobs in the Aerospace industry, cost of living is low, not as many tourist as central and south Florida so we are not as crowded, just a great place to be at.

You wont find all the variety of things that central and south Florida provides, but we like it like that. For many of us is our Paradise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida