Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 65,414 times

Advertisements

i would love to relocate to florida with my kids. i dont have a job at the moment and nyc is just to expensive right now. is florida job rate gone up? how is the school system? is hallandale, florida safe. i just need advise< more [positive than negative please. ps. will be moving in july 2012. thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The unemployment rate is coming down but I would not recommend moving without a job unless you have considerable savings (6 months worth of rent/bills). Florida's schools are much better than credit is given for them, ranked in the Top 12 nationally (test scores) despite one of the lowest per pupil expenditures in the country. I grew up in Hollywood, the town next to Hallandale and would recommend it instead. Hallandale is rather rough on the west side and the east side is primarily made up of senior citizens. Hollywood has some good schools on the east side (east of 35th Street) and is much safer in my opinion.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Yet another statistic waiting to happen...

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Do not come here with 2 kids and no job.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM

oh thank you kyle19125 for your input. i do have money saved and i also have family there. i been to hollywood and i like it too, btw how is the boys and girls club, is it great?
and to the other who reply thank you as well. i will be moving down there i have a good head on my shoulder im relocating because i wont be working in nyc pass june, and to be honest nyc has been great however is too much for me right now.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
What a horrible idea. Stay put. Get a job. Don't come down here and become another miserable financial drain.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I really hope that you are going to bring a lot of money with you. probably in the area of about $25,000.00. You won't find a job quickly and will need the cash to live day to day. What are your plans for support of yourself and your family during the transition phase?
What line of work are you normally in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayi la kuki View Post
i would love to relocate to florida with my kids. i dont have a job at the moment and nyc is just to expensive right now. is florida job rate gone up? how is the school system? is hallandale, florida safe. i just need advise< more [positive than negative please. ps. will be moving in july 2012. thank you in advance.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM

spring hillian! i dont have $25,000 but have some money saved, i will def. have family support as well. i have done a few things in life. im currently a spanish interpreter, i have done the hha thing in the past, also done lots of clerical work at medical offices. im a hard working person willing to learn and capable of doing many things. nyc is just out of hands a 1 bedroom apt is like $1000 in a bad area plus utilities, like u just work to pay rent smh. i really need some thing different for the sake of my childrens. gangs in nyc are like right in your face they have no respect. any other advise. thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I understand your situation. I grew up in Brooklyn and we left there in 1988. I know it has not gotten any better.

Right now the job opportunities are slim in most of the state, but things are slightly improving. Lots of people competing for the same job who would have at least like qualifications.

The Spanish interpreter thing could be very very useful to you in S. Florida. You would be offering a service that has good potential.

I would recommend that you check out local job boards in that area and see what is going on in any of the fields you have experience in.

It does take time to get settled in and all and it does get costly.
Down payments on rent, utilities, car insurance, car registration,
new furnishings, these things take a good chunk of money and you have to consider the day to day living expenses and the potential of being out of work for a year or possibly longer.

Use the internet to your advantage to read local news, study rents, trends in the area, employment, weather. Study, plan, study and plan some more. That is the best advice I could give.

Good luck!!

Quote:
spring hillian! i dont have $25,000 but have some money saved, i will def. have family support as well. i have done a few things in life. im currently a spanish interpreter, i have done the hha thing in the past, also done lots of clerical work at medical offices. im a hard working person willing to learn and capable of doing many things. nyc is just out of hands a 1 bedroom apt is like $1000 in a bad area plus utilities, like u just work to pay rent smh. i really need some thing different for the sake of my childrens. gangs in nyc are like right in your face they have no respect. any other advise. thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Not sure what the difference or downside would be in being unemployed in NYC vs Florida (Hallendale or other). In fact, if you want to move and have the finances and support system to do so, the best time might be when you are unemployed ... vs leaving a job to become unemployed. (Are you getting Unemployment benefits in NY ... that might not continue in Fla?

With your Spanish interpretation skills, you will certainly have more opportunities than others with only manual skills. There are some great schools and some not-so-great schools in Florida ... and NY. Likewise, "safe" is a relative term. Many would hesitate to move to NYC, based on the premise that schools would not be "safe."

Contrary to nay-sayers who emphasize 9%+ unemployment in Florida; ... I would say to you that there is 90-91% employment! Housing prices are also lower in Florida ... as are taxes; and remember, there is no state income tax here. However, you will likely find that the 'Sunshine tax' makes wages a little lower here than in NYC.

Follow your dream in July ... and remember why you moved between November and March! But, remember, "The Magic Kingdom" is just a small 'whimsey-niche' near Buena Vista, Florida -- The rest of Florida is real-life, just like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida