Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:01 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
One week of great weather, three months of OK weather and 9 months of hot, hotter and sauna!!

This sums it up the best! OH, except throw in humid for those last 9 months also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
In SWFL, it is hot & humid from about May - November. Same thing everyday. It cools down for about 4 months.
There is little foliage of any interest other than palm trees, so things always look the same.
It is a good area for those who like hot, humid weather & no natural beauty.
There are no "seasons" in SW FL.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I saw sleet last February; this was in northwest Florida, in Port St Joe.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM

84 posts, read 354,842 times
A little bit of "unofficial" Florida weather history, from my perspective.

I've lived in Sarasota (south of Tampa) since 1981, and grew up in Ft. Lauderdale during the late 60's and early 70's.

It actually snowed in Sarasota in December of 1989. The temps dropped into the high 20's that night, and it definitely snowed, but very lightly. It was so light, that it never stuck to the ground, but the crevices of my car retained about a 1/2 inch or so.

December of 1983 also had a hard freeze for several days that damaged much of the states citrus crops. I don't recall seeing any snow here that year, but that December was one to remember. I can also remember the exact date of October 15 that year, when temps dropped into the mid-30's, which is highly unusual that early in the year.

I can also remember many a December watching the Bucs and Packers play on TV, where the temps were in the high 30's and low 40's. The players would be bundled up as if they were playing in Green Bay and not Tampa.

The winter of 2000 was relatively cold as well, as it remained fairly cool for most of the winter that year.

I have a theory about cold weather in Florida. Ya know how they always say that its a "dry heat" in the SW United States when its 114 degrees in the middle of the summer. Well, Florida has what I call a "wet cold". When it's 35 degrees up north, its like no big deal,...shirt sleeve weather. When its 35 degrees in Florida, it's FREAKIN' cold!!

I've seen northerners down here complain its cold when its 35 degrees in Florida.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM

54 posts, read 249,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12paws42 View Post
Hi all,

I recently moved here from Ohio and am loving the hot weather. My question is how do the seasons go down here and what type of weather does each season have? I've heard that right now is the "rainy" season. What else can you tell me?

In Ohio, summer was pretty much June, July and August with temps in the 80's. Sept, Oct brought fall with 60's and 70's and lots of autumn color. November through March pretty much was winter, with little sun and cold. April and May were the cooler, rainy months.

What do the months bring here?
Orlando report without the exaggerations. There are two seasons, Rainy season which is from the mid June to the end of September. The average highs are in the low to mid 90s & the average lows are in the mid 70s. Humidity is high, rarely dropping below 90%. Chances of t-storms & showers likely every afternoon or evening. Some days they miss you. Some days they hit you numerous times. You CAN'T set your clock by them. Morning showers are more likely on the coast. The rest of the year is know as the dry season. No it is not dry all the time. It marks the time when frontal systems with big & quick temperature drops from the north make it through the state. From October to December & again in April & May the average temperatures are mid 70s to mid 80's for highs with lows in the mid 50s to mid 60s. From January to March the average high is low 70s with the average lows in the low 50s. These are average temps during the dry season. However it is not unusual to see daytime high temps in the 50s or lows in the upper 30s.
The freeze line is located near Ocala. The freeze line is a climate indicator for agricultural use. North of the line it is likely to drop below freezing for longer than 5hrs at a time every winter. South of the line you can grow citrus. Naturally, the closer to the imaginary line you go, the higher the risk.
Did you want to discuss the weather or were you just trying to start a conversation? lol

Last edited by stugots32837; 09-14-2007 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota_Blues View Post
I have a theory about cold weather in Florida. Ya know how they always say that its a "dry heat" in the SW United States when its 114 degrees in the middle of the summer. Well, Florida has what I call a "wet cold". When it's 35 degrees up north, its like no big deal,...shirt sleeve weather. When its 35 degrees in Florida, it's FREAKIN' cold!!
Your theory is backed up by my experience also, but it didn't happen until I was in the Colorado mountains in February. A brisk 15 degrees up there felt super chilly but 35 degrees here feels much colder. Maybe it has something to do with the humidity?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
I would also agree with the Florida feeling colder theory,I was walking down the street in Lake Tahoe with the temperature around 20 and of course it was cold,but it felt just like everytime it drops near 40 in Florida.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
Anyone know where the farthest south it's snowed in the US?

Homestead, Jan 20, 1977.

But I wouldn't rush to break out the snow skis and parkas.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:29 AM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 174,049 times
Then the rain DOUBLES the humidity 20 minutes later, and you wish it never rained....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
You know what summer in Florida is like....hot, humid and rainy. The good thing is that the rains do give us a little break from the heat. Where I grew up in SC....it gets hot and stays hot...very little rain to cool things off.

Summer usually lasts until October. Sometime around mid to late October, we will have a couple of days of cool weather, but it doesn't last. Oct-Dec. cool fronts will start down from the north, but most of the time they stall out before getting to Orlando and points south. The occasional one will make it through and give us a day or two of really cool weather. Then it's back to the 80's. Most years I put up Christmas decorations in shorts and a tank top.

If we're going to have cold weather it will most likely be Jan-March. That's also when the leaves fall. Even then it's not usually really cold, just cool for a couple of days and then highs in the 70's - low 80's again here in Orlando. April-May are mild and beautiful.

Remember that Florida is a big state and the weather will be completely different in the Panhandle than it is in Miami.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
[quote=stugots32837;1497846]Orlando report without the exaggerations.

I had no exaggerations in my Orlando report. I told it exactly as I have experienced it living here for the past 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida