Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
I don't worship any book or thing made by men. The power I have found to guide me never did and never will judge a soul, this power only gives love.
Well, I can see you're real open minded and tolerant of other people's viewpoints and that you're real loving from what you wrote.

This thread has really gone down-hill...

Last edited by 90sman; 04-26-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM

85 posts, read 159,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
The Bible tells us that homosexuality is a detestable sin and an abomination. He also created us as two genders- a man and a woman and also designed marriage to be between a man and a woman as well. It's like I said, most people I know don't approve of it either. I don't approve of it, never have and won't ever approve of it or think it's okay. Not to mention 30 other states also have a law saying that marriage is between a man and a woman. Plus homos aren't lacking any rights, a gay guy can marry a woman and a lesbian can marry a man.

Well, I can see you're real open minded and tolerant of other people's viewpoints.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Default Oh, you don't want to go there

Quote:
The Bible tells us that homosexuality is a detestable sin and an abomination. He also created us as two genders- a man and a woman and also designed marriage to be between a man and a woman as well. It's like I said, most people I know don't approve of it either. I don't approve of it, never have and won't ever approve of it or think it's okay. Not to mention 30 other states also have a law saying that marriage is between a man and a woman. Plus homos aren't lacking any rights, a gay guy can marry a woman and a lesbian can marry a man.
Do you watch the news? Do you know what happens when a gay man or gay woman marries a straight person? They are then "cured"? Sure they are. That was very common back in the 50s, in particular for lesbian women who wanted to cover up to soceity, and to have children. The outcome is not eternal bliss. It happened in my own family. Divorce and a lot of grief for everyone, including children, involved.

I also knew a young lesbian woman who married a gay man. They both got sick of their families asking when they were going to get married (opposite sex). They married to shut up their families. Sacred. holy, matrimony between one man and one woman? You want a mockery of a marriage? THAT was it; not two gay people who love each other wainting to marry. After six months, their families were BEGGING them to get a divorce and end their sham of a marriage.

Better to let gays marry the people they love, than to "they can marry a person of the opposite sex".

Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
From the article:

"And even though both his drivers license and social security card now have his married name, he tells OutQ News a Collier County DMV official wouldn’t recognize his new name because it was through a same-sex marriage."

At first I thought he was wrong, since he needs to obey the law, and we all have to show our birth certificates and other ID. I've been renewing mine online, but I understand next year when it expires, I will need to go in person with proof of residence, social security card, and other forms of identification. In any case, if he already changed his soc sec # legally, then I think the DMV is wrong. What's really crazy is that so many people are driving in Florida without insurance. Then we're got all of those drivers whose licenses have expired or have been suspended for drunk driving. Don't forget the people who have been stopped for DUI and still have their licenses. On top of that, we have elderly people in their 90s who can't see or hear sh** but "only drive to the store & back." But, of course, we can't issue a gay man his license because Florida doesn't recognize his marriage status. Maybe he should stand his ground and shoot someone. Then the law would be on his side.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Anyone applying to transfer their drivers license to Florida must have a valid drivers license in another state, a social security card and birth certificate or Passport

read more FL won’t give license to MA gay under his married name « The SiriusXM OutQ News Blog

It's a shame that FL can't be as strict once people get on the road.

Between the DUIs, reckless drivers, the uninsured drivers, the teens starting too early and being allowed unlimited passengers in the car, and the elderly drivers who aren't tested and renew a license over the phone at age 80 that is good for another 8 yrs.

In the last year I have been to 3 locations(after the incident) where someone has driven into a building. One was a Subway where a carload of teens jumped the curb and came crashing in, thankfully no one was sitting at the tables.

The other two involved elderly drivers who caused injury to others and thousands of dollars in damage, and all they get is a ticket.

In other states the license is taken away(regardless of age) pending an evaluation by a doctor, as it should be.

Here they get a ticket and keep driving.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Do you watch the news? Do you know what happens when a gay man or gay woman marries a straight person? They are then "cured"? Sure they are. That was very common back in the 50s, in particular for lesbian women who wanted to cover up to soceity, and to have children. The outcome is not eternal bliss. It happened in my own family. Divorce and a lot of grief for everyone, including children, involved.

I also knew a young lesbian woman who married a gay man. They both got sick of their families asking when they were going to get married (opposite sex). They married to shut up their families. Sacred. holy, matrimony between one man and one woman? You want a mockery of a marriage? THAT was it; not two gay people who love each other wainting to marry. After six months, their families were BEGGING them to get a divorce and end their sham of a marriage.

Better to let gays marry the people they love, than to "they can marry a person of the opposite sex".
Exactly. I've always wondered:

These people who believe gays have "equal rights as straight people to marry someone of the opposite sex..."

Would they volunteer or like THEIR straight son or daughter to marry a gay or lesbian person who is marrying just to keep up appearances?

If not, why not?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Newsflash -- Toronto, Sydney, and other cities I hold in esteem were cosmopolitan/progessive in nature long before the gay marriage debate came up. And whether it passes legally in Florida doesn't affect me in the least. It's strictly a moral issue and what one believes in ...
Newsflash: Those cities are progressive because they have ALWAYS been havens for progressive people, creative types, gays, and others who often are marginalized by mainstream "moral" society! What was "progressive and cosmopolitan" 50 years ago is mainstream today! Keep up, or get left behind.

And no: Sexuality is not a "moral" issue. It's only a "moral" issue for those who follow a book of god(s) that tells them it's a moral issue. Legislating morality based on books of god(s) is for the weak willed and weak minded, who need the fear of hellfire to keep them in line.

It's also preposterous for any person who deigns to call themselves educated or cosmopolitan to take the position of "it doesn't affect me, so I don't care" on social issues! THAT line of thinking is right out of the backwoods areas you hold in such contempt. Perhaps you've been away from progressive people and areas for far too long.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
That is nice and all that the Bible states that, however, the government through the 1st Amendment shall not construe laws based upon a specific religion. You mention the Bible, a law based on other holy books can be made just as well in your scenario.

In the US, we live in a classical liberal society, where the individual is valued. I do not care for gay people at all, but I believe in individual liberty, and what two consenting adults do is really not my concern.

The gov should not be invovled in marriage at all. There should just be simply a legal union to cover the legalities of two partners, similar to why the gov is involved in marriage now. Marriage is strictly a ceremonial affair, and it crosses religions and cultures.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 AM

31 posts, read 33,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wow, sooo impressed. The "we were here first" argument doesn't work for bigoted attitudes. This is still America, jack. Freedom trumps over your quaint middle-ages thinking.

Society will progress with or without your consent. In Florida especially, a few areas have always driven the growth and economy of the state while others languished.

But don't worry, "Native Floridian Man." If you're any indication, I'm sure your "deep rooted" southern family has been on the wrong side of most social issues since the 1800s, so you'll be able to find ways to cope, I'm sure.
Bigoted attitude? Since when did being against same-sex marriage make us bigoted?? And for our beliefs? WOW! Respect the views of all who are against or for same-sex marriage, even if we disagree! I would not dream of insulting them or their beliefs. Opponents of same-sex marriage are simple standing up for their sincerely held beliefs. Maybe President Obama should "get out", since he doesn't support same-sex marriage or is he bigoted too?

Last edited by violetree; 04-27-2012 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetree View Post
Bigoted attitude? Since when did being against same-sex marriage make us bigoted?? And for our beliefs? WOW! Respect the views of all who are against or for same-sex marriage, even if we disagree! I would not dream of insulting them or their beliefs. Opponents of same-sex marriage are simple standing up for their sincerely held beliefs. Maybe President Obama should "get out", since he doesn't support same-sex marriage or is he bigoted too?

Awww, poor put upon person! Put down your boards and nails. There are enough people in this world with martyrdom complexes. I mean, imagine! Someone not respecting your opinion! The nerve! Why do you believe that is any worse or even remotely comparable to what gays and lesbians have to deal with? When people not only attack your BELIEF, but straight up tell you: You do not deserve the same rights that I do?

Again: I respect everyone's RIGHT to an opinion. That does NOT mean all opinions are to be valued, respected, or given equal weight! Not all opinions are equal! Some are downright stupid.

But hey... bigoted attitude, misguided, superstitious, immature.... whatever label you want to assign to justify your "belief," go for it.

Actually, people would respect your "belief" more if you and your kind dealt with it the way vegetarians dealt with THEIR "belief" that "meat is bad." Veggies are out trying to make meat eating illegal, are they? Why is it so hard for you to live and let live? Don't "believe in" or don't "want" a gay (or interracial, or WHATEVER) marriage? Don't get one! Easy peasy!

As for Obama, I'm not so sure why you felt the need to drag him into the conversation, but I would tell him to his face he's wrong on that issue, and if he's planning on moving to Florida and voting to restrict the rights of law abiding, tax paying Americans, then he can stay in Chicago... or DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: