Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM

102 posts, read 341,659 times

Advertisements

I'm bringing my family from WI to Daytona this fall/winter (first time for the kids, second time for me) and we can't wait!! I'm trying to do some research beforehand so I can plan out our stay. We plan to spend countless hours on the beach, and since I have 4 small kids, finding shells is going to be a priority for them. Is there any certain spot along the coast to find the best shells? We noticed that Daytona didn't have much, but when we drove north and stopped at a beach off of the main coast (wish I could remember where) we found much better ones. Thanks in advance for saving me some trouble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,966 times
I wish I had advice on where to look, but I wanted to chime in to make sure the shells are left after your hunt! They are more valuable on the beach than if removed! Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
I'm not a big beach person, but having grown up in the Daytona area, I never saw any big shells there. The only place I've ever seen decent-sized shells was in SW Florida around Sanibel / Captiva islands.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Not much in the way of sea shells on Daytona Beach, you might have better luck about 15 miles north in Flagler beach area.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
I wish I had advice on where to look, but I wanted to chime in to make sure the shells are left after your hunt! They are more valuable on the beach than if removed! Enjoy your trip!
Huh? if the creatures are dead and they wash up on the beach...nothing wrong with enjoying their beauty at home. This isn't Sanibel where thousands flock daily just to pick up shells and the good ones are gone by noon. East Coast is on the ocean so each tide usually bring in more . Taking them off the bottom in shallow water could be taking live animals, though. Daytona does not get a lot of shells on the beach...In the Fall you might find some shells wash in if there are tropical storms/hurricanes close enough to make bigger waves on shore,

We collect welks and other larger shells as well as beach glass that washes in, but we live in Brevard County. Been doing this for over 30 years and I assure you there are still new shells coming in every day.. Even here you find better shells farther South than Cocoa Beach area, It is a hit and miss as to what you find. Last year was kind of low season for larger shells. This year we have seen more shell beds on the beaches(usually form because of sandbars) but so far mostly slippers, small strawberry cockles, clams,etc. Haven't seen Florida Welks yet.
Have fun at the beach and wishing you some good shelling days.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
I'm not a big beach person, but having grown up in the Daytona area, I never saw any big shells there. The only place I've ever seen decent-sized shells was in SW Florida around Sanibel / Captiva islands.

We have baskets of larger shells all from the Brevard beaches.....Usually find them in late summer and early fall. Mostly Florida Welks......years that there is tropical weather close to shore we get more shells.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,723 times
Default Local Advice

Because of the Atlantic currents, it's not common to find shells in Daytona Beach -- although they are here at certain times of the year, and esp after some big storms (which don't really make for nice beach days).

Your best bet would be Lighthouse Point Park, right on Ponce Inlet (at the southernmost end of the Daytona Beach peninsula and Atlantic Ave ends):
Lighthouse Point Park (http://volusia.org/parks/lighthouse.htm - broken link)

If it's not a great day for shells, you can take them to a real light house instead that's just up the street:
Ponce de Leon Lighthouse

There's also nothing like the Daytona Beach Boardwalk for kids. If there are no shells, you can spend a fun time on the beach and have an ice cream, float or go to Zeno's for a candy or carmel apple (and pecan Turtles for the grown-ups)! Mmmm!

Have Fun!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Because of the Atlantic currents, it's not common to find shells in Daytona Beach -- although they are here at certain times of the year, and esp after some big storms (which don't really make for nice beach days).

Your best bet would be Lighthouse Point Park, right on Ponce Inlet (at the southernmost end of the Daytona Beach peninsula and Atlantic Ave ends):

If it's not a great day for shells, you can take them to a real light house instead that's just up the street:

Ponce de Leon Lighthouse

There's also nothing like the Daytona Beach Boardwalk for kids. If there are no shells, you can spend a fun time on the beach and have an ice cream, float or go to Zeno's for a candy or carmel apple (and pecan Turtles for the grown-ups)! Mmmm!

Have Fun!

One of my favorite places to go. It is a beautiful beach area.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:20 PM

102 posts, read 341,659 times
We can't WAIT for the boardwalk!! Definitely something we don't have here in WI! Thanks for the great ideas!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 AM

161 posts, read 412,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post

Ponce de Leon Lighthouse

Have Fun!
Excellent post! While you are in Ponce Inlet, right next to the lighthouse is the Marine Science Center It is a must do for kids! They even have a stingray touch pool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida