Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 926 times

Advertisements

Ok.. I'm coming to the US on scholarship from my Company for graduate studies in IT. I haven't decided which US city, University yet but here are my criteria and I need you guys to guide me.

- Low Uni. Entrance Requirement
My undergraduate GPA is 68, that could be around ~ 2.5/4 in US Scale. And I only have 6 months of experience on Customer Relations (see, not even close to my IT degree!).
I'm looking for Universities that would accept international students with low GPAs (2.5/4), and with no or low GMAT score.

-Relatively cheap

My income while in US would be half what I actually make $3200/2=~$1600, I'll be moving with my fiance who has a very low income, $800 per month ( $1600+$800= $2400). So, we both will have a $2400/month for living. A cheap 2-bedroom apartment is what we're looking for.

-SAFE
I'm not just talking about low crime rate,, I'm also concerned about having safe walks from-to school at night (8-10 p.m.), and living in a well maintained building with Security 24 Hrs.

- I can find Pleasure in
Even though I will be a student and busy most of the time, when I have free time I love to enjoy it to the max!
We love beaches, great shopping and different type of cuisines

- Has Friendly folks
I'd love making lovely & good American friends.

Which city you think is best for us? And Why?

I have seen and heard about Florida's cities in TV, but living there in real life, I don't know how it looks or feels like!

Do you think we will survive with $2400/month for both of us?

My company only pays tuition fees and emergency-only health insurance for both of us.

Any suggestions..? Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 05:16 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
There are a few state universities in Florida that you might consider, as my impression is they have a low ratio of foreign students which would be to your benefit. Additionally all three are in affordable areas that should fit your budget.

Check out:

University of West Florida
University of West Florida - UWF
Pensacola, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida Gulf Coast University
FGCU Undergraduate Admissions - Prospective Students
City of Fort Myers: Live, Work, Play and Invest

University of North Florida
UNF - President's Office - President
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
I don't know enough about schools in Florida to make a call. But, in New Jersey, there is a school that fits your needs perfectly. Stockton College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida