Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,311,516 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is more of a Food Thread, but there seems to be an ongoing "fight" between the two. I have had the Tampa version in Naples. I know that this one includes salami in it, and is supposedly the original version. Somehow something didn't seem quite "right" with that. Is the salami the only difference between the two?

Although we were in Ybor City last year, we didn't get one there. Planning on going to Miami this summer and would like to try one there. Which version do you prefer? Where do you recommend in that area for a good Miami Cuban Sandwich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe this is more of a Food Thread, but there seems to be an ongoing "fight" between the two. I have had the Tampa version in Naples. I know that this one includes salami in it, and is supposedly the original version. Somehow something didn't seem quite "right" with that. Is the salami the only difference between the two?

Although we were in Ybor City last year, we didn't get one there. Planning on going to Miami this summer and would like to try one there. Which version do you prefer? Where do you recommend in that area for a good Miami Cuban Sandwich?
It's a matter of traditional versus non-traditional and the best place for the traditional is Miami, hands down. I mean really, how does one call the best Cuban sandwich a concoction involving Genoa Salami? That's like telling someone from Japan the best sushi involves adding Bacon to it. Tampa has some weak argument that they invented the Cuban sandwich which seems unlikely given the refugee migration from Cuba to the US being overwhelmingly toward Miami. If one has been to Tampa's Cuban neighborhood which consists of a whole city block one could see the lack of legitimacy involved in that argument. In terms of the best Cuban Sandwiches, head over to Calle Ocho (SW 8th Street) at lunch time and see where the crowds are.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's a matter of traditional versus non-traditional and the best place for the traditional is Miami, hands down. I mean really, how does one call the best Cuban sandwich a concoction involving Genoa Salami? That's like telling someone from Japan the best sushi involves adding Bacon to it. Tampa has some weak argument that they invented the Cuban sandwich which seems unlikely given the refugee migration from Cuba to the US being overwhelmingly toward Miami. If one has been to Tampa's Cuban neighborhood which consists of a whole city block one could see the lack of legitimacy involved in that argument. In terms of the best Cuban Sandwiches, head over to Calle Ocho (SW 8th Street) at lunch time and see where the crowds are.
Haha sorry Kyle, we will have to agree to disagree! It was born in Tampa, and Tampa has the best!!! I'm in Sarasota now, and there are no good Cubans (sandwiches that is) here.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
They should do a throwdown show on Travel Channel or Food Network pitting the two Cubans. I know a show like this already exists but the name escapes me.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times
Tampa Easy

Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,549 times
Wikipedia says it was brought to Key West and Tampa's Ybor City as early as the 1880's so it appears it has more of a history in Tampa.Living in Miami and having never eaten it on my visits to Tampa I've never tried it with salami,with that said salami is one of my favorite of the cured meats so I kinda really want to try it with the salami.Does Colombia restaurant make a good one?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,837 times
search

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-sandwich.html

Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Miami-That's where the cubans came to and just started heading north to Tampa. BF is Cuban from Miami and says they are not the same as Miami

Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Please - everyone knows the Cuban Sandwich as it is today was born in Tampa. No real Cuban Sandwich has Mayo in it, because back in the days refrigeration was scarce and Mayo spoils quickly.... which is why it has mustard on it instead.

Take a history lesson. Cubans were in Tampa long before they were in Miami.

Cuban sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
To me it's all in the bread. If it's not good fresh bread, then it basically ruins it all. On top of that good fresh ingredients. I had some real bad ones already too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida