Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 18,048 times

Advertisements

I moved from Daytona Beach 2 years ago to the mountains of SC because of the two back to back Hurricanes which scared the heck out of us two seniors.
Now we are so bored in this town of 3000 souls that we want to go back to Daytona and enjoy the Ocean and the life in Daytona.
We lived in a mobile home before in Daytona and would have to go back into one due to limited finances.
Are we crazy to consider this ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,912 times
I don't think so and that was one of the reasons I didn't move. Seems people are moving to NC, SC, TN or GA and not happy.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
No, you are not crazy. The grass looks greener until you get to your new place and then buyer's remorse sets in. You never truly know how good you have it until you lose it. It's one of life's paradoxes. Luckily, the ball's in your court. You can live wherever you choose to live. Follow your gut feeling, live where you want to live, don't let fear hold you back, and you'll be fine. Best wishes.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steggie View Post
I moved from Daytona Beach 2 years ago to the mountains of SC because of the two back to back Hurricanes which scared the heck out of us two seniors.
Now we are so bored in this town of 3000 souls that we want to go back to Daytona and enjoy the Ocean and the life in Daytona.
We lived in a mobile home before in Daytona and would have to go back into one due to limited finances.
NO! No, you are not crazy - you loved the life you had, and you'd be crazy to stay in a place that clearly makes you unhappy. Believe me, 30 years ago my husband and I left FL (lack of jobs) and moved up north - only to rush back here at the first opportunity.

But, having said that........

There are some compromises you should make if you plan on living in a mobile home. VOE here, my husband and I lived in one for about 12 years (that was until the tornado). First of all, if you live in a mobile, make SURE you have evacuation plans in case of weather emergency and be ready to act on them. And it's a good idea to figure out what you'll do if a hurricane damages your home. You'll feel more at peace just knowing you have planned for these situations. Second, if you live in a mobile, you MUST get a NOAA weather radio. They can be life-savers.

Moving back to Daytona is something for you to consider thoroughly - remember how you felt after the back-to-back hurricanes; weigh that against how you feel about living in SC.

I'm sure others will disagree with me about returning, but we all have different perspectives. Mine is this: no matter where you live, there will be risks. They might be weather-related, or might be something else, life isn't risk-free. And what a sad thought - that anyone would remain in a place where they weren't happy, just because of a possibility that something - some day - "could" happen.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,952 times
I'd agree about living where you're not happy...move on!
However, after my last mobile home I swore never to do that again. It was a top-of-the-line triple wide with lots of appealing features: 5 BR, 3 Ba, fireplace, whirlpool tub, skylights, huge kitchen, beautiful porch/deck, etc. I found that the construction of any mobile/manufactured home leaves something to be desired. Now I understand that is just my opinion, but the value doesn't increase like real property and lenders are getting harder to find. So financing, whether as a buyer or a seller, is harder than ever. Insurance for a mobile?? Prepare for the old you-know-what...
Anyway, live where you're happy and if that includes evacuating for storms just be prepared.
Just my .02

Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 AM

58 posts, read 212,487 times
Since you are talking about Daytona area, what about Palm Coast which is close by? Home prices and our property taxes are much lower which may help you live in a concrete block home instead of a mobilehome. If you are handy there have been some fixer uppers for way under $100,000. Don't know if that's within your reach or not but might be worthwhile to check it out. Good Luck and you are definitely making the right decision if that's what you want.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
I don't think so and that was one of the reasons I didn't move. Seems people are moving to NC, SC, TN or GA and not happy.
That's because a lot of them are malcontents. All of those states have great spots, as does Florida, depending on your priorities.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
You are absolutely not crazy but maybe like me and a few million more being just a tad confused from time to time.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,513 times
My man and I rode out Katrina in Boynton Beach, we sat in the living room of our condo, I watched and he fell asleep !!!!! Not so bad, I'd take a hurricane over a snowstorm up north. Done both !!! Anyway, because of finances we thought we would have to live in a mobile home too, but we found very affordable and very nice condos in Boynton Beach. Village Royale on the Green, right now in the $30's to 40's.
Old cinder block buildings and never waivered during Katrina !!!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steggie View Post
You are not crazy to want to go back. But you are crazy if you are going to move into a mobile home in Florida. I would never recommend any of my family or friends move into a mobile home because its just not safe.

Can you move into a condo, they are not that expensive????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida