Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times

Advertisements

I noticed an interesting observation. You'd think that the ones who don't run their AC's would be poor working class types but it isn't the case. It's actually the wealthy bohemian types, ones that live in expensive historic neighborhoods such as mine. As I write this, the heat index is 95 degrees and most of my neighbors have their doors/windows open, I don't get it. There is no way you are going to tell me that it feels better un-air conditioned than running it. They all have fairly new AC units and I'm sure they can afford to run them. So why do they continue to not run their AC's till almost June?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I noticed an interesting observation. You'd think that the ones who don't run their AC's would be poor working class types but it isn't the case. It's actually the wealthy bohemian types, ones that live in expensive historic neighborhoods such as mine. As I write this, the heat index is 95 degrees and most of my neighbors have their doors/windows open, I don't get it. There is no way you are going to tell me that it feels better un-air conditioned than running it. They all have fairly new AC units and I'm sure they can afford to run them. So why do they continue to not run their AC's till almost June?
Well, even I am running my AC now - LOL! I live near the bay and the past few days have been nice, low humidity with a cool breeze and was able to leave windows open all day until right before bed. Today it finally is too hot, so on it went! For me it's not even about trying to save money or anything like that, I just like to feel connected to the outdoors, smelling my flowers and listening to the birds. But once it's past a certain point being comfortable is more important. Everyone has a different threshold.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I do not run my AC, my balcony doors are open and enjoying the breeze.

When it starts getting hot in the afternoons, I will then turn on the AC, mornings are never hot in my place.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
For some 95 degrees and all the humidity is not a problem so why turn on the air.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,439 times
I keep mine AC set on 80-85 usually, and turn on fans when I get warm. Sure, I can afford to keep my house freezing cold, but why would I want to? You get used to the warmer temperature very quickly and then are perfectly comfortable. After a few days, you get so adjusted that walking into a house with the AC cranked up feels like walking into a freezer.

As a bonus, keeping your house warm helps you adjust to the outside heat. Keeping your AC set to 72 is a sure-fire way to not be able to handle the outdoors in the summer since your body isn't adjusted to the heat. If you keep your house around 80, your body adjusts to it and you'll be much better able to handle outdoor activities when it's 95 outside.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
I just turned on the air in the last few days but have still turned it off and opened french doors and windows at night.
My thoughts on the matter are, why live in Florida if you want the climate to be from a more northern locale.
If I didn't want warm weather i wouldn't have moved here. I turn on the air more for the health of my electronics and other things around the house than for myself.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I just turned on the air in the last few days but have still turned it off and opened french doors and windows at night.
My thoughts on the matter are, why live in Florida if you want the climate to be from a more northern locale.
If I didn't want warm weather i wouldn't have moved here. I turn on the air more for the health of my electronics and other things around the house than for myself.
Do you run your car A/C a few minutes a day to keep your car stereo healthy ? And doors and windows open at night in Hernando County ? You must be a light sleeper with a 12-gauge tucked in next to you.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Do you run your car A/C a few minutes a day to keep your car stereo healthy ? And doors and windows open at night in Hernando County ? You must be a light sleeper with a 12-gauge tucked in next to you.
Hardly ever listen to my car stereo so it would be no big loss. The rest of the car electronics should not have a problem as they are made to be exposed to the elements in some way or another. TV's computers, home stereos, etc. are not made to be exposed to the elements and humidity is not great for them.
Door and windows open for the majority of the year. From your response I can tell you probably know very little about the county so I will let that go.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Hardly ever listen to my car stereo so it would be no big loss. The rest of the car electronics should not have a problem as they are made to be exposed to the elements in some way or another. TV's computers, home stereos, etc. are not made to be exposed to the elements and humidity is not great for them.
Door and windows open for the majority of the year. From your response I can tell you probably know very little about the county so I will let that go.
This is all I need to know, but that's getting off topic.

- Florida Department of Law Enforcement

Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Wow, I could never sleep in this humidity without running the AC. Of course I like sleeping with a blanket too, so I have to put the thermostat to 69. That's one thing I love about window units, you can cool one room down to whatever you like. The units in my bedroom and the living room are kind of oversized, so during the winter months they "short cycle". But this time of the year that extra power is great because I can cool my room down into the 60's at night, 72 in the hottest day in August.

I probably don't really belong here in Florida, I'm too much of a weather wuss. I'd probably do better in southern Cal near the coast. In the meantime I make it as comfortable for myself as I can.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida