Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,044 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, we are a young family Mum is a bookkeeper, Dad is a Landscape Designer and we have 2 young boys 5 & 7.
I have just finished a 20 year career as a Royal Marine Commando and want to move to florida. We have been thinking about the West coast. My biggest motivation is so we can live a less stressful lifestyle. we enjoy the outdoors lifestyle boating, beaches etc.
What I would like to ask is what areas do you think would suit us.
We have a reasonable budget and a good salary through our military pensions
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfamily View Post
Hi Guys, we are a young family Mum is a bookkeeper, Dad is a Landscape Designer and we have 2 young boys 5 & 7.
I have just finished a 20 year career as a Royal Marine Commando and want to move to florida. We have been thinking about the West coast. My biggest motivation is so we can live a less stressful lifestyle. we enjoy the outdoors lifestyle boating, beaches etc.
What I would like to ask is what areas do you think would suit us.
We have a reasonable budget and a good salary through our military pensions
Thanks in advance
In the current economic conditions it would probably be best to look in an area with a higher concentration of jobs and as a result would recommend the Clearwater area, which is part of the second largest metro area in the state (Tampa Bay), but doesn't have a congested feel....particularly in the northern section which I would most recommend. Check out Countryside in NE Clearwater and the surrounding towns of Safety Harbor, East Lake/East Lake Woodlands and the southern half of Palm Harbor. The schools are top notch, the topography is beautiful with lots of trees/greenery, is very safe/family-friendly and offers easy access to the beaches as well as parks, lakes and all the outdoor recreation you can handle.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In the current economic conditions it would probably be best to look in an area with a higher concentration of jobs and as a result would recommend the Clearwater area, which is part of the second largest metro area in the state (Tampa Bay), but doesn't have a congested feel....particularly in the northern section which I would most recommend. Check out Countryside in NE Clearwater and the surrounding towns of Safety Harbor, East Lake/East Lake Woodlands and the southern half of Palm Harbor. The schools are top notch, the topography is beautiful with lots of trees/greenery, is very safe/family-friendly and offers easy access to the beaches as well as parks, lakes and all the outdoor recreation you can handle.
In addition to Kyle's suggestions, you might look at Sarasota/Manatee. Quite a few people from different countries including UK purchasing here. Sarasota has some of the best schools in the state and is a wealthy and highly educated area, full of the arts. Are you looking at part-time living here or do you have permanent visas? Depending on your budget you really have a wide variety of choices depending you your taste and preferences. The Gulf coast of Florida is a beautiful place to live.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:15 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
we made the move 18 months ago and love it. first and most important, you cant just move here. what visa do you have/are you looking at ? Until you resolve that issue dont plan anything else.

the sw of Fla is lovely, plenty of choices. there may be some call for landscape design -not sure, booke keeper -she may have to pass some US exams.

but visa first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida