Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
I hear time and again from northerners that winter lasts "forever" and how miserable it makes them. I do understand and even sympathize because a few months of extreme temperatures and perpetually overcast days can bring a person down. But the weather changes and then there is spring/summer.

It all just depends on your tolerance of heat and humidity verses frigid cold and snow. Personally, I prefer a few months of reeeallly cold to nine/ten months of stickyslimeysweatygross warmth.
Isn't it almost impossible to function when it is really cold and snowy? Two to three months is like 15 to 20% of your life you are living with those conditions. That seems like a lot of inconvenience. For example, it's 10:40 and I am sitting here and I feel like having some spaghetti. I don't have any olive oil and as soon as I finish writing this I am running down to the Winn Dixe and picking some up.

I don't like Spaghetti sauce, I just like to toss the pasta with olive oil, salt and pepper dusted with some parmesan. If there was a couple feet of snow outside it would be out of the question. Even in the summer when it is at the worst, you can function normally, no big deal. Play golf, go fishing, work around the yard what ever. I am not sure I would like living with such limitations for so many months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Isn't it almost impossible to function when it is really cold and snowy? Two to three months is like 15 to 20% of your life you are living with those conditions. That seems like a lot of inconvenience. For example, it's 10:40 and I am sitting here and I feel like having some spaghetti. I don't have any olive oil and as soon as I finish writing this I am running down to the Winn Dixe and picking some up.

I don't like Spaghetti sauce, I just like to toss the pasta with olive oil, salt and pepper dusted with some parmesan. If there was a couple feet of snow outside it would be out of the question. Even in the summer when it is at the worst, you can function normally, no big deal. Play golf, go fishing, work around the yard what ever. I am not sure I would like living with such limitations for so many months.
Macguy, yes it is very miserable. I couldn't get out to get anything at the moment. We have had over a foot of snow since Wed. morning. The winds have come up and we have a full fledged blizzard. It's too cold and windy to get out right now since the windchill is only three and with all the new snow, it's chilly out there. I'm just greatful that it won't be too long until springtime. I haven't seen green grass or leaves on the trees or flowers or heard birds sing since October.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Macguy, yes it is very miserable. I couldn't get out to get anything at the moment. We have had over a foot of snow since Wed. morning. The winds have come up and we have a full fledged blizzard. It's too cold and windy to get out right now since the windchill is only three and with all the new snow, it's chilly out there. I'm just greatful that it won't be too long until springtime. I haven't seen green grass or leaves on the trees or flowers or heard birds sing since October.
You know if you look at some of my original posts I was the angry Florida resident. This forum has given me somewhat a reality check though. I thought about Tennessee or the Carolinas even maybe out your way but there is no way I want to live in weather like that, I don't think I could if I wanted to. I like Florida, maybe not some of the things that have happened to it but you can't get away from the weather thing. Humidity and all it is pretty nice here.

I am moving to north Florida in a few months to get away from the crowd, but have no desire for extreme weather. I guess I am just spoiled, I like being able to do what ever I want year around. I have a guy I do business with out your way and he always mentions the weather when we talk this time of year. He will say he hasn't been out in several day and is snowed in, mean time, I'm sitting in shorts with no shirt out in the cabana. I almost feel guilty, almost.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I like that~you ALMOST feel guilty. I remember that you were very happy to have found an area in northern Fla. that you planned to build your house on. Did you end up getting a camper to live in until your house is built? I have always loved Florida, but we're still searching another area that's beautiful. Florida is beautiful and has so much going for it, but it is expensive compared to a lot of places. Yea, I know someone will now say, "You have to pay for Paradise." And you're right~weather does have a lot to do with things.

I remember you from the beginning, but I feel a bit differently then some people do. I don't see it as "complaining", but voicing frustrations and looking for answers. There have been several things that have plagued people in the state and I don't have to go through the list cause I'm sure you know what I mean. But some people just don't like the hot weather~I don't like the cold weather. Some people aren't affected by the way expenses went out of control~Others like me aren't wealthy and would have to struggle if things continue to be so expensive there. It's just the way it is.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Most people like it cold rather than hot and I agree. I have been sweating and suffering for a week. As soon as the a/c stops it gets hot in like 5 minutes! I am going to be miserable till the next "winter" which doesnt last long and can get pretty hot even in January! I hope my home business makes me enough money to move soon. The weather is nice in the southeast and the lower northeast states from Georgia to Pennsylvania.

The best states to live are those that dont get very hot nor very cold. South Dakota has winters lasting like 5 months and easily gets into the minuses. States like West Virginia have shorter 3 month winters that dont get much below freezing(32f) and theres many days with highs of 40-60. The summers average low to mid 80s for a high with more tolerable lows of 60s at night. I would not suffer much from the heat nor cold. Too much heat like Florida or too much cold like the midwest and far northern states arent good. A balance is the best

Old 03-02-2007, 05:06 AM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
For the last time, West Virginia winters will go much below 32 and on a regular basis too. The lows will definetly be below 32 and it's a fairly snowy state. The location wouldn't immediately make you think so, but it's a higher elevation. So West Virginia is colder/snowier than you would think.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 AM

48 posts, read 192,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
For the last time, West Virginia winters will go much below 32 and on a regular basis too. The lows will definetly be below 32 and it's a fairly snowy state. The location wouldn't immediately make you think so, but it's a higher elevation. So West Virginia is colder/snowier than you would think.
I couldn't agree more! When it says 32 degress....people forget to consider the wind chill. 32 degrees feels mor like 20 something....and it is a big difference. It's a big difference between 50 something compared to 60 something. Would you agree?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 AM

12 posts, read 76,354 times
Wind chill is an enormous factor many forget about.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:14 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
We're currently getting the northern tip of that nasty storm that went thru the SE yesterday. Since I'm extremely grateful we're not dealing with the tornadoes that killed those people, I'm not going to complain about the 5-9 inches of snow/sleet/freezing rain we're supposed to get today, but will say a little prayer for the folks who did get hit with it.

C'mon up, NAH....I'll loan you my Columbia jacket, see if you will still be sweating.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:38 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
As I sit hear sweating, I envy the northerners! They have a nice milder climate! It is 76 outside, 84 inside! I turned the a/c on and the bill is going to add up! Not cheap, I tell ya! We pay 10 cents a square foot times ~3800 and our bill happens to be about $380 a month! It is cool in the midwest mountain states from mid 30s to high 40s. Just keep your windows closed and use a blanket and you wont be cold. No a/c, no heat needed.

The northeast has great temperatures. West virginia, a state high on my list of moving to is at 58 right now. Just perfect! Maybe not for our sweet elfyum, but for most of us it is Summers in places like WV are plesent. warm but not overly hot in the day and slightly cool at night, nothing like opening the window and enjoying a fresh breeze. Here there is nothing but warm air! So we close the window and crank up the a/c and watch our bill soar! Winters in WV arent that bad from what ive read, gets to about 20 degrees(less up in the hills/mountains) so id only need a little heat. My bills in WV would be much lower than Florida!
youre not really talking about the northeast youre talking about mid atlantic states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida